Coolant temperature sensor 2 location

Andy Johnstone

VIP Member
Evening all,
I seem to be chasing a bit of an issue on my van. Last week I had exhaust gas temperature sensor Bank 1, Sensor 2 showing a fault. I have replaced this sensor now and the fault has cleared, but as soon as I replaced it, I am now getting the red coolant warning and 3 beeps on start up and the coolant temperature dial isn’t giving any reading. I’ve scanned again and I’m getting coolant sensor 1 showing a reading and coolant sensor 2 showing -40deg. Is it a coincidence that this has failed right after changing the EGT sensor?
I know there’s one coolant sensor at the bottom of the radiator behind the bumper, is this the sensor I should be looking at?
Appreciate any help!

IMG_0746.jpeg

Hmmm... on the second line
View attachment 236918
thus the reading shows -40 ℃ = open circuit. Which is correct for T6 engines.
Didn’t even see that! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ thank you!

If I’m showing a reading on the temperature sensor from the live data on the scan, but not in the vehicle, do you have any idea what that could be then?

Reactions: mmi
It could be the old G83 sensor problem;

If I’m showing a reading on the temperature sensor from the live data on the scan, but not in the vehicle, do you have any idea what that could be then?
No fault codes? Would expect have one if the Engine and the Instruments were not communicating.

The engine coolant temperature is available also in controller 17-Instruments though slightly adjusted.
In the thread below both values were plotted just to show VW's smoothing algorithm on dash gauge.

The 17-Instruments has a couple of diagnostic tests - one of them is temperature gauge sweep - to verify the actual dial operation. Perhaps your tool can run those.

In VCDS
1713203487707.png

It could be the old G83 sensor problem;

I was reading your thread on this yesterday with a lot of interest actually! Now I’ve lived with it for another day or so, I’m leaning towards a sensor issue. If I drive for a bit and get the engine up to temperature, then restart, it works fine. It’s as if it doesn’t like reading from a cold start.
New sensor will be here today so I can start working my way through that, thank you.
It’s weird that it isn’t throwing and fault codes or CEL.

Back