Daughter had an accident in her car

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So my daughter had a minor accident the other week. Motorcyclist pulled out. Called her insurance to let them know. They then give her a claims nunber to ring who would deal with everything. Basically they said has she didn't have the make and model of the bike nothing they could do. Rang back her insurance to he told what do you want us to do? Truly shocking. Funny enough have had daily calls to see if see has any injuries.

Anyway we haven't progressed any further since and was just going to get it repaired ourselves. However today she has had a letter from the 3rd party insurance admitting liability. The letter goes on to say they will cover all costs for the repair, supply hire car while being fixed, pay for any physiotherapy, etc. Never had this before? Anyone been through similar? Any pitfalls using the 3rd party insurance?

Thanks.

Reactions: CAB
The benefits will be that your insurance won't go up next year as your not claiming on it..... The other company will be paying.

The benefits will be that your insurance won't go up next year as your not claiming on it..... The other company will be paying.
So that brings another dilemma? When getting quotes and asked any claims in the last 5 years what do you say?

Well... ish. You've still had a claim, albeit a non-fault one.

Hopefully a single non-fault won't affect your daughter's premium, but if a driver has multiple non-fault claims they will indicate to the insurer an increase in risk (even if just down to bad luck, the type of areas being driven through or lack of defensive driving skills/anticipation - not saying any of those apply to your daughter BTW).

Well technically you are not claiming on your insurance.

They are offering to repair your car for you.

They see it as cheaper to offer to repair themselves, versus having your insurance company squeezing every last penny from them for fancy hire cars, fancy legal team, fancy medical team and hold cash back for further claims.

I hate the UK insurance system... There all just a bunch of scammers IMHO.

Sure we all need insurance, but this "where there blame there's a claim" attitude just stinks of rotten eggs.

@Bav has a point about the no fault claim.

NFC claims still raise your risk factor, which will raise next year's premium.

So to declare..... Or not declare.

Suppose we need to ask an insurance company for the legal standpoint, and what the technical definition of a claim is.?

Not saying if this is true but I’ve heard lately if you’ve been involved in a non fault crash then call a solicitor 1st and let them deal with everything. They fight your corner and get more money back than the scamming insurance companies.
I’ll see if I can find the details I’ve read…..

Thanks chaps.

Well at least the guy was true to his word and admitted liability . Felt a bit sorry for him. Just finished a 12hr shift at hospital and was only his first bike on provisional licence.

Lol.... Don't start me in solicitors.

They are number #2 on my scammers list. (Money grabbing Herberts)

Along with Estate agents at number #3.

Suppose we need to ask an insurance company for the legal standpoint, and what the technical definition of a claim is.?
You are legally obliged to declare. Even if you hadn't already contacted your insurer about the incident, they will find out about it - they all share claims info on an industry-wide database. Not declaring risks being put on a fraud register.

Thanks chaps.

Well at least the guy was true to his word and admitted liability . Felt a bit sorry for him. Just finished a 12hr shift at hospital and was only his first bike on provisional licence.
Jeez....

His insurance will double, if not triple next time round.

We had a car stolen of the drive.... No one to claim against.

So had to fight the insurance company for a payout.... Didn't even get enough back for a like-for-like.

Then the policy trippled the next time round.

Then the theifs say, oh it's ok they insured..... Your get paid out.... Well it don't work like that...

Whatever happens the insurance companys just put there prices higher and we all have to pay more every year.

They will know. I’ve fallen foul of this.
It’s another insurance company scam.
They say you must notify them even if you are not at fault.
They then call your notification a claim - two different things in the dictionary, without telling you that’s what they’ve done.
Then, when getting new quotes at renewal if you tick the ‘no’ box at the ‘any claims in the last five years, not knowing that they mean any notifications despite claiming nothing, they pull you up on it as they spot it in the central database.
Why the hell they just can’t be consistent with terminology or accept dictionary definitions… beyond me. Only reason seems to be to catch people out and artificially raise prices, again.

Jeez....

His insurance will double, if not triple next time round.
And so will everyone else’s while his insurance are offering hire cars and physios that they pay well over the odds for because they can stick another percentage on top and spread the cost to us.
It’s all one big cartel and nobody is holding them to account.
Tens of thousands for hire cars just in one claim. It’s criminal.

My main concern on using his insurance is would they be more inclined to complete the repairs using substandard parts? Basically repair on the cheap? Will gove them a call later.

Back