Daughter had an accident in her car

Unfortunately insurance companies use alot of non genuine parts if over 3 years old. Doesn't matter if its a M5 or a mazda 3 they don't care. Even if the customer asks for genuine we are contracted to use non gen parts. Only if they don't fit (like at all) then we can use genuine. I would still ask the estimator if they could use genuine parts as there's no harm in it.

My wife had an accident some time ago, and like the op, the ambulance chasers were on the phone in no time. She had told nobody other than her insurance company about the accident, so they must have passed the information on (or more likely sold ) to the ambulance chasers.

The whole point of repair is surely to get the vehicle back to its pre-accident state. Just because someone hit you shouldn't mean your car quality is degraded through use of non-genuine parts.

and they wonder why people don't bother with insurance...

Some people don't. By that I mean they have insurance but realise that paying for the repair can sometimes be cheaper long term. People would probably drive better if it only covered damage to people not the vehicles. Or the old "have a big spike in the centre of the steering wheel" approach.

Last edited:
The whole point of repair is surely to get the vehicle back to its pre-accident state. Just because someone hit you shouldn't mean your car quality is degraded through use of non-genuine parts.
Your right we pay alot for insurance and get a job done as cheap as. It's proper s#*t because it's written in the small print that no one reads, the bodyshop has the issues of trying to get the parts to fit in a fashion and paint as little as they are told ( if we paint extra because we know it won't match the insurance don't pay because everything should be edge to edge. bull s#*t!!!). And then we get a going over because the customer is rightly not happy that they had non gen parts fitted that look like they fit like a glove on a elephant.

So my daughter had a minor accident the other week. Motorcyclist pulled out. Called her insurance to let them know. They then give her a claims nunber to ring who would deal with everything. Basically they said has she didn't have the make and model of the bike nothing they could do. Rang back her insurance to he told what do you want us to do? Truly shocking. Funny enough have had daily calls to see if see has any injuries.

Anyway we haven't progressed any further since and was just going to get it repaired ourselves. However today she has had a letter from the 3rd party insurance admitting liability. The letter goes on to say they will cover all costs for the repair, supply hire car while being fixed, pay for any physiotherapy, etc. Never had this before? Anyone been through similar? Any pitfalls using the 3rd party insurance?

Thanks.
It makes me cross . Even if you have a no-fault claim and the other people say it was their fault you still have to declare it. This happened with my daughter and my partner I went on to get quotes on other companies and put in no fault claims as the insurance company we were originally With said we had to declare, it went up over £100 or more. How can that be right? But if you don’t declare it and you claim on your insurance it will go against you. The world of insurance has gone mad.

It makes me cross . Even if you have a no-fault claim and the other people say it was their fault you still have to declare it. This happened with my daughter and my partner I went on to get quotes on other companies and put in no fault claims as the insurance company we were originally With said we had to declare, it went up over £100 or more. How can that be right? But if you don’t declare it and you claim on your insurance it will go against you. The world of insurance has gone mad.
You’re right - it’s totally unfair. I now pay more because my neighbour hit my van once five years ago and didn’t even cause a claim. That blatant profiteering should not be allowed to go on. That and the excessive payouts they make to hire car companies and some repairers - they should pay no more than market value yet they allow themselves to be ripped off… I assume they make money from this themselves somehow.
We need actual regulation of them. Not just a body with no teeth, set up just for show.

and they wonder why people don't bother with insurance...
They also wonder why a few people will try and scam them. When they charge so much and waste the money as they do, while still making large profits, some people will think they want a bit of that action too or deserve to ‘claim’ some of their money back.
It’s shortsighted and wrong of course and gives insurers even more reason to charge everybody more (just as shops have to put up prices to cover thefts).

Just to close this off, the 3rd party admitted full liability. They're insurance contracted us and arranged to have the car fixed with a hire car supplied. Was brilliant to deal with and very efficient. This was Ageas. So this will be a no cost claim on our daughters insurance.

Back