DIY Beds

Dalesrunner

VIP Member
Hi all

I've been searching for some DIY bed ideas, as some of the ones I've found online are quite expensive. I've found a couple of previous posts, searching for "DIY beds", so maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, but I'd be grateful to see what you've managed to build yourself for a T6 transporter for 2 people, one of which is 6ft1.

Also, if you know of any self-build plans that are available, that would be great.

Many thanks
Claire

Ikea, they do a small sofa bed type thing which was just around £100... May be an idea to see how you get on. Some mods needed for wheel arches I think. If you search IKEA that may help bring those threads up... Perhaps you've seen...

Try find an Ikea lycksele. You’ll need to raise it over the wheel arches but I have the solution to that I could sell you

I would recommend something like this Van-King VW T5 / T6 Kombi Beds | Van King. I saw their kombi bed system some time ago and thought about buying one myself,
I have the Van King bed and sliding tray fitted in my van it’s brilliant and very versatile, I carry our Alpicool fridge, porta potty, and 3 - 35 litre storage boxes on the tray.
Behind the tray and my Kombi 3 seats I’ve built a box which holds 2 - 100ah lithium batteries, Victron charger, 1500 watt inverter, buzz bars and my 240 volt electrics.

John.

IMG_1278.jpeg

I went down the lycksele bed route to begin with and still use the mattress from one, mainly because it seems getting covers made for you own foam sizes is expensive. Having the ability to every few years just buy a £80 mattress with cover is a big advantage. I couldn't really get the base to work so went down the route of making my own base and side kitchen / storage. I have a Kombi so the base is just bolted to the lash down points, meaning the main base is removable.

I've put some pics below to show how its evolved. It now uses bed springs (Ikea ones cut down) an we use it with a 50mm mattress topper. Its pretty good now comfort wise and having a 1400x1880 bed when I'm 6'4 is good, there's just enough room for me, wife and Labrador when he decides his bed at the front is too cold :)

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

I've got a LWB with rear seats. I'm 6'5". I copied the 40winks design. Cost around £100 for the steel and £40 for the sheet material. I tend to leave the seat next to the slider out so that's where my feet could go if I can't sleep diagonally although it's much nicer with the seats folded. I've been using a double airbed but now I'm looking at a 2x1.5 memory foam mattress from Germany.

Back