Do you have RGBWW LED strip lights in your van?

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Do you have RGBWW LED strip lights in your van?

Im thinking of installing some colour changing COB LED strip lights in the van, but struggling to find a controller.

If so what control unit do you use? Are you happy with it?

Thanks

Whichever controller you go for make sure it get's a "clean" power supply - deriving one from the van's lighting circuits will likely have a certain amount of monitoring pulses and PWM fade out dimming that may well disrupt a controller, even one that should save it's state between power cycles.

If you are into your maker electronics then I get my WLED controller boards from Mottramlabs (via eBay) and have been very happy with them. They still do a PWM driver version for RGB/RGBW strips too.

Thanks. I can’t see a controller on that link though.

Whichever controller you go for make sure it get's a "clean" power supply - deriving one from the van's lighting circuits will likely have a certain amount of monitoring pulses and PWM fade out dimming that may well disrupt a controller, even one that should save it's state between power cycles.

If you are into your maker electronics then I get my WLED controller boards from Mottramlabs (via eBay) and have been very happy with them. They still do a PWM driver version for RGB/RGBW strips too.
Thanks. My plan is to power the cob led from the leisure battery. I was looking for more plug and play rather than making my own.

I've had reasonable success with the "generic" modules on eBay - I'd link you to past purchases but these sellers come and go - the trick for a van is to find one that uses RF remote (not WiFi + IR) and personally I steer clear of app only ones.

The thing to watch is many don't detail current limits very much - and while COB strip is super cool it is very dense with LEDs so is generally high current. Whichever controller you go for probably worth doing a technical dry run on the bench/in the garage for a few hours and make sure you are happy that nothing is getting too hot.

Example:

I've had reasonable success with the "generic" modules on eBay - I'd link you to past purchases but these sellers come and go - the trick for a van is to find one that uses RF remote (not WiFi + IR) and personally I steer clear of app only ones.

The thing to watch is many don't detail current limits very much - and while COB strip is super cool it is very dense with LEDs so is generally high current. Whichever controller you go for probably worth doing a technical dry run on the bench/in the garage for a few hours and make sure you are happy that nothing is getting too hot.

Example:
Thanks. Appreciate the input. I have a few of these, to which I have lost/ mixed up or just have app only. I was hoping to find one that I can fix in place in the van to avoid this happening again.

Since posting I have been looking and found this, although it just says for RGB not RGBW. This is more the sort of think I was thinking about but would like a white function.

Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 13.27.27.png

Thanks. Appreciate the input. I have a few of these, to which I have lost/ mixed up or just have app only. I was hoping to find one that I can fix in place in the van to avoid this happening again.

Since posting I have been looking and found this, although it just says for RGB not RGBW. This is more the sort of think I was thinking about but would like a white function.

View attachment 252218
Posting here. I just use the inline controller with card remote with mine. But we only use at night when camping, so not really comparable

Back