Dometic CR50X issue

psybear

Hi folks, hoping someone might be able to diagnose what the issue is with my Dometic CR50X fridge.

I got my T6.1 camper back in January - it was a new conversion done by a local guy who has since sold the business so I can't take it back to him for help.

The fridge was working fine until last week, just as I was preparing for a weekend trip.

I tend to leave the fridge off between trips. I turned it on for this trip and when I went back to load it later I noticed that it still wasn't cold and the display was showing the F1 error. I thought that perhaps the leisure battery was just low as I hadn't driven the van on any sort of long journey for a few weeks. I started the van up and sure enough the error cleared. I drove the 300 miles plus to my destination only to notice the error had returned that evening (with nothing but the fridge connected to the leisure battery.

I consulted the user manual which states "Code F1 displayed - Possible cause: low voltage to fridge. Adjust the battery protection from High to Medium or from Medium to Low". I figured out how to do this via the manual - but the code remained on all settings. I tried a full reset of the fridge, the code still didn't clear. I then tried starting the van and the code cleared again and the compressor kicked on. That only lasted until the following morning by which time the code was again showing... (the only things connected overnight were the fridge, a phone charger into the USB port, and very brief use of the internal lights). I checked the battery protection level setting - it was at Medium after my earlier attempts - switched it to Low and the F1 cleared again. This time I was hopeful that I had sorted it. Drove another 300 miles home, fridge still working, no error code. Rather than powering the fridge down I decided to leave it overnight, with nothing connected. Got up this morning and checked and of course F1 had reappeared....

I have done a search here already looking for similar issues but without luck. I'm not that technically minded but willing to try any suggestions. Based on what I've read already I'm thinking that the fridge itself is probably okay, the issue is more likely to be with the wiring/installation? But then again, the fault has only manifested itself after 8 months of use, during which time nothing has been changed in relation to the electrical set-up.

I'd be very grateful for any constructive advice.

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-19 at 15.38.37.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-19 at 15.38.38.jpeg

To be honest it’s more than likely the leisure battery, or poor installation, if the battery is a AGM/flooded then you can flatten them and they will never be good again,

Get it check along with the wiring, post up a picture of the leisure battery/wiring

I agree about the battery. Has all the symptoms of a dying leisure battery.
As batteries age or are run too low they won't hold a charge anymore when a load is applied. Like a fridge.
Check your leisure battery voltage when the error appears and it will probably be low.

To be honest it’s more than likely the leisure battery, or poor installation, if the battery is a AGM/flooded then you can flatten them and they will never be good again,

Get it check along with the wiring, post up a picture of the leisure battery/wiring
It should be alright on EHU then right?

Thanks for the feedback to date.

Actually a failing leisure battery would make sense as I know the van sat unsold for many months post-conversion, which no doubt was not good for the battery.

I will try the EHU hookup tomorrow. If that clears the error would this suggest that the actual wiring to the fridge is probably not the culprit?

I'll also try to get the passenger seat off to access the battery.

Back