DPF Oil/Ash level

Hugs68

VIP Member
Hello,
I have had a new engine rebuild and turbo on my 2016 4 motion 204 T6 and still having DPF regens every few miles.
I paid £200 when the turbo went for the DPF to be cleaned but ever since then it has done a regen every time i go out.
See images for oil/ash level and how often it regens.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

IMG_1421.PNGIMG_1422.PNG

To add to my woes i have had 4 different garages look at the issue before the engine rebuild and said nothing showing up in the scans.
Its cost me thousands and now i want to try and find the issue myself to save money.
I do have VCDS as well so going to do my own scan today work depending.

If that was properly back flushed clean I would expect the oil/ash to have gone to a very low figure. I think I have seen somewhere that the max is 110g so your value is showing around 60% ash still in there even after a clean. I think the high ash reduces the efficiency of the DPF to hold and process the soot.

If that was properly back flushed clean I would expect the oil/ash to have gone to a very low figure. I think I have seen somewhere that the max is 110g so your value is showing around 60% ash still in there even after a clean. I think the high ash reduces the efficiency of the DPF to hold and process the soot.
I did ask why the regens were happening so often after taking it back with leaky pipes etc and they said it’s normal. Got a feeling it was never done and the oil is still in there from when turbo blew.
Thanks for the advice and the article is interesting.

See images for oil/ash level and how often it regens.
Please make another screenshot of cold engine ticking over.
1719302241278.png
The captured maximum differential pressure (978 hPa) across the DPF is quite high - even at full blast!

Some related messaging going on here:

If that was properly back flushed clean I would expect the oil/ash to have gone to a very low figure.
The ash value is most likely just a calculated value - and it can be reset to zero (or whatever is appropriate) via engine adaptations when the DPF is replaced or cleaned.

View attachment 247862
The captured maximum differential pressure (978 hPa) across the DPF is quite high - even at full blast!

I will do a capture of cold engine tick over and post thanks.
I don't mind buying a new DPF if needed but want to know why if its been cleaned is it still high on oil/ash content.

View attachment 247862

Idle cold.PNG
This idle cold reading.

Reactions: mmi
This idle cold reading.
1719321571544.png
I think the pressure is way too high - indicating a blockage in the DPF. On cold engine (actually cold DPF) I would expect the pressure to be below 10 hPa.

Also the soot mass MEASURED seems to be quite high (normally would be below zero at this point (immediately after DPF regen). Anyways, this is rather a consequence of the possible blockage than the root cause. You probably would see the MEASURED reach 24 grams fairly quickly - which initiates the DPF regen prematurely.

Of course, could also be that the sensor itself is failing and giving false readings??

I do have VCDS
Please double-check the reading with VCDS - just to make sure the app is showing the value correctly.
Also would be interesting to see what the data items below show (Engine > Advanced Measurement Values) - engine ticking over.
[EDIT:list updated with IDE07744]

IDE07744 Particle filter: air pressure sensor 1 bank 1: raw value
IDE07745 Particl.filt.: different.press.sensor 1 bank 1: adaptat. value
IDE07748 Particl.filt.: differential pressur.sensor 1 bank 1: dyn.offset​
IDE09163 Exhaust recircul.2: different.press.sens.1 bank 1: dyn. offset​
IDE11895 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw data 1​
IDE11896 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw value 1
IDE11897 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw value 2​
IDE11898 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw data 2​
IDE11900 Par.fil: diff.pr.sens.1 bank 1: data quality​
The bolded ones should be fairly close to what the app is showing.​

Even better would be full blockmap data package - engine ticking over

VCDS > Applications > Controller Channel Map >

1719323169169.png

Tick/fill boxes as above and hit Go.
VCDS flashes screens for a moment (when finished hit "Done, Go Back") and there should be file blockmap-01-... in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\....

I don't mind buying a new DPF if needed but want to know why if its been cleaned is it still high on oil/ash content.
Have you enquired with the person that cleaned it?

View attachment 247892
I think the pressure is way too high - indicating a blockage in the DPF. On cold engine (actually cold DPF) I would expect the pressure to be below 10 hPa.

Also the soot mass MEASURED seems to be quite high (normally would be below zero at this point (immediately after DPF regen). Anyways, this is rather a consequence of the possible blockage than the root cause. You probably would see the MEASURED reach 24 grams fairly quickly - which initiates the DPF regen prematurely.

Of course, could also be that the sensor itself is failing and giving false readings??

Please double-check the reading with VCDS - just to make sure the app is showing the value correctly.
Also would be interesting to see what the data items below show (Engine > Advanced Measurement Values) - engine ticking over.

IDE07745 Particl.filt.: different.press.sensor 1 bank 1: adaptat. value
IDE07748 Particl.filt.: differential pressur.sensor 1 bank 1: dyn.offset​
IDE09163 Exhaust recircul.2: different.press.sens.1 bank 1: dyn. offset​
IDE11895 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw data 1​
IDE11896 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw value 1
IDE11897 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw value 2​
IDE11898 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw data 2​
IDE11900 Par.fil: diff.pr.sens.1 bank 1: data quality​
The bolded ones should be fairly close to what the app is showing.​

Even better would be full blockmap data package - engine ticking over

VCDS > Applications > Controller Channel Map >

View attachment 247896

Tick/fill boxes as above and hit Go.
VCDS flashes screens for a moment (when finished hit "Done, Go Back") and there should be file blockmap-01-... in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\....
Hope this is correct.

Attachments

• blockmap-01-04L-906-056-KN_WV1ZZZ7HZHH045705-20240625-1633.xlsx
    57.3 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: mmi
Have you enquired with the person that cleaned it?
Thats on my list of things to do. I took the van back 3-4 times after they replaced the turbo and they said its normal to regen that often.
Even took it to a VW independent who had it for a week and charged me a lot for the pleasure and said nothing wrong with it even though i was using 1 litre of oil every 250 miles.

Hope this is correct.
Thanks - perfect!

Well, first some confusing data. Indeed, the engine seems to be in almost continuous DPF regeneration.
1719341092007.png
At the moment of the data capture the engine had already been in DPF regen for 10 minutes (607 s). Thus there had been only some 11 minutes of no-regen in between. Normally it's a few hours.
The "no request" is because the engine was just started.
1719341309806.png

As the regen is in progress the soot values will be decreasing fast - as soon as engine heats up. So can't conclude much about the values now. However, as soon as the regen is finished I'm expecting the soot measured to climb back to 24 grams just in minutes.

Data confirms the readings what the VAG DPF app showed. The pressure loss in the DPF is really high - or the sensor has failed - however, the other values (offsets) seem to be normal.
1719342555571.png

Also air flow in the intake is almost double than normal so engine obviously is "labouring" even when ticking over. I think this might indicate that the DPF differential pressure sensor is actually just fine.
1719342831853.png

Thanks - perfect!

Well, first some confusing data. Indeed, the engine seems to be in almost continuous DPF regeneration.
View attachment 247975
At the moment of the data capture the engine had already been in DPF regen for 10 minutes (607 s). Thus there had been only some 11 minutes of no-regen in between. Normally it's a few hours.
The "no request" is because the engine was just started.
View attachment 247976

As the regen is in progress the soot values will be decreasing fast - as soon as engine heats up. So can't conclude much about the values now. However, as soon as the regen is finished I'm expecting the soot measured to climb back to 24 grams just in minutes.

Data confirms the readings what the VAG DPF app showed. The pressure loss in the DPF is really high - or the sensor has failed - however, the other values (offsets) seem to be normal.
View attachment 247980

Also air flow in the intake is almost double than normal so engine obviously is "labouring" even when ticking over. I think this might indicate that the DPF differential pressure sensor is actually just fine.
View attachment 247981
Thanks for the information. The oil/ash value is creeping up to 65.4 and I’ve noticed if you drop from 6-4th gear it’s struggling to go up a gear like it’s being starved of oxygen.

Back