DPF regen - live on Carista

whodat

T6 Pro
22 plate / 150 / manual / 2wd

Got in the van earlier today and decided to have a quick look see before going home on the state of the DPF on the Carista.

It said 29.1g soot / 87 hours and 299KM since last regen.
Thought I would keep it plugged in for the journey home as I had never seen what happens in real time.
It added about 0.1g soot every 2minutes while engine was cold then went to 3 or 4 minutes once the engine had warmed up pretty much regardless of how I drove although.

Started driving and almost got home 25 minutes (about 10 miles) later - but just as I turned onto my street, at 30g soot / 87 hours and 312KM the DPF kicked in. (Guessing this happens quite a lot).
So, thought I'd take it for a spin on dual carriageway and see what happens.
The regen worked really fast for the first few minutes. It was burning off 0.1g of soot every 3 to 6 seconds seconds, down to about 12g and that included the time driving in town to get to outtatown.
Then it slowed down and took about 20-30 seconds every 0.1g of soot till about 10.5g then sped down to 8.5g quite quickly.
That might have been as I was trying high revs/low revs to see what happened but it didn't quite tally in real time with what revs the van was doing.

Anyhow it stops at 8.5g and the time resets to 1 hour since last regen and 0 KM distance - and then starts to add 0.1g soot again every 3 or 4 minutes.
A few minutes later though, at about 8.7g soot, the time went to 2 hours - so the time is very guessy. The distance was accurate though even though my speedo is in miles.

Just thought I'd throw some of those stats out there as I was puzzled as to what actually happens during a DPF regen. It took a bit less than 15 minutes/10 miles to do the full regen.
Also I want to see if I could hear when it kicks in. It is a very slight but noticeable hum but now I know what to look out for every 190 miles or so. Also there was a bit of power loss or at least a tiny bit of a lag whilst the regen was going on which I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not been looking for a difference.

That profile matches the one I see via VAG-DPF

MY21/150PS/DSG/2wd

You'll also find if the engine is working harder and the exhaust temperature is raised the soot rate increases more slowly as there is a bit of regen going on.

Does it show on yours that the regen slows down at a certain point - in this case it was around 12g?
Just wondering if my playing around with revs made any difference or not.
Yes - completely agree that if the engine is working harder/hotter, there is less soot forming in the DPF.

I've never noticed a particular point, just that it certainly slows down around that region.

Given the day job I find one of the most dangerous things in my 6.1 is feeling compelled to work out how all the software is running and at times that distracts from driving :unsure:

The alternative is to go full geek and have continual data logging in your van like @mmi for later analysis.

Just had an 'Aha' moment. Seems about 1 litre of fuel is about 1 gram of soot added to DPF.
So, approximately, and your mileage will vary, every 22 litres or so of fuel I can expect a regen.

Back