Drive Away Awning that could also be a stand alone tent

TheEagle

New to forum. Looking at inflatable drive away awnings for extra space as will be a family of 5

Are there any recommended ones and do any also double up as a stand alone tent (when we can’t take a van to a festival for example)?

Or any alternative suggestions

Hoping to ditch current 6 berth tent

Thanks

At the risk of sounding facetious, all drive-away awnings will stand alone, otherwise they'd collapse when you drove away in your van.

Heard that some aren’t great at being strapped down for longer period eg if was at a festival for a week and it got windy.

Happy to be corrected - I’ve no idea

Eg I’m not familiar with the connection side that clips to van when not connected

I use a vango tailgate awing as a stand alone but rather than roll the tunnel up I punched a couple of small eyelets into the kador strip and use a couple telescopic poles to make it into a canopy over the door as I got fed up when it was raining opening the door getting dripped on
The guy lines for this give it sideways stability as well
unfortunately I don't have any pictures of this set up

Never attached our awning to the van - only ever use it as standalone storage. It pitches just like a tent and we roll up/tie back the bit that should attach to the van so that it doesn't flap around. Absolutely no reason why it wouldn't be as secure/stable as a tent.

I've got a vango kela v air awning. I often put it up in the garden for the kids campouts. It works best if you have a tree or fence to tie the tunnel bit onto, otherwise looks droopy but still works fine.

I use a vango tailgate awing as a stand alone but rather than roll the tunnel up I punched a couple of small eyelets into the kador strip and use a couple telescopic poles to make it into a canopy over the door as I got fed up when it was raining opening the door getting dripped on
The guy lines for this give it sideways stability as well
unfortunately I don't have any pictures of this set up
Interesting that, Colin - we have the same awning and have considered doing the exact same thing with the tunnel. How did you add the eyelets? Do you have a gizmo for doing this?

Interesting that, Colin - we have the same awning and have considered doing the exact same thing with the tunnel. How did you add the eyelets? Do you have a gizmo for doing this?

1725554182904.png
@Bav I Can't remember where I got mine from but similar to the above the kador was quite hard to punch through so I heated up a 8mm drill bit chuck end and quickly in and out so it didn't make the hole to big
I also made a ridge pole up to go between the 2 poles as the tunnel part has a sleeve you can fit it through so stops any sag bit of cutting ridge poles to correct length required

Vango galli 3 low. The connection bit can be tied back out of the way just like you do with the doors. We opted for the double sleeping pod so 2 of the kids can sleep in there and they have their own space.

View attachment 257851
@Bav I Can't remember where I got mine from but similar to the above the kador was quite hard to punch through so I heated up a 8mm drill bit chuck end and quickly in and out so it didn't make the hole to big
I also made a ridge pole up to go between the 2 poles as the tunnel part has a sleeve you can fit it through so stops any sag bit of cutting ridge poles to correct length required

If you don't want to put eyelets in you can use tarp clips, fitted or removed when needed. Plenty to choose from on the usual markets.

If you get decent branded eyelets from somewhere like Prym you'll usually be able to buy them in a packet with a couple of short term use dies to cut the fabric and fold the eyelets up with a hammer and a plastic frame to hold them.

Not quite as good as a full press but those are a waste of money unless you buy the really good ones (MrsRT does wardrobe from the local am-dram so we've done a lot in costumes and theatre background cloths)

Back