Small Drive-Away Awning suggestions

Yes, I cut a small bit off. You can just leave it hanging over the end, but I found it got trapped in the tailgate.
There's probably loads of 40cm off-cuts around - maybe we should all donate them to a community bin, then someone can piece every 6 or 7 of them together and sell them cheap ;)
Even with the 3 piece one I have now I can’t manage to get the joins in a place where water doesn’t drip through on my head, 6 or 7 would be a nightmare!

You might want to check the length of the strip on the actual awning so if it’s a big longer then it will be supported in someway

Any other recommendations on small, easy to pitch, light to pack awnings? We’re in the same boat!

We have a sun canopy but on longer trips I’d like to sleep outside on an airbed (preferably inside an awning)

I have the Vango Faros 2 poled version. We using it when staying places for more than a couple of days for storage. Has worked well and stood up to very strong winds when other tents on site were collapsing / shredding. I would buy it again.

When we drive away and leave it, the side to the van is very flat (like most awnings I guess) so is susceptible if the wind happens to be hitting that side of it, but with the addition of some proper heavy duty pegs in the main guys its allways been there on our return.

We have a tailgate and it takes a bit of practice to get it positioned corectly so that the side door opens without catching it, but also far enough forward so it doesnt foul the tailgate closing.

The ends of the tunnel again take some practice pegging out so that they dont rub excessivly on van in strong winds (if van not clean the rubbing can damage paint if grit on it) but can be arranged though to avoid this, albeit with a gap

The passenger door cant be opened with it attached, but again that goes with terrority I think.

You could cook in it but be aware that it becomes your main entrance and exit, so if your cooking and a toddler (or dog in our case) wants to get in or out of van they have to negotiate the stove. I was always brought up to never cook inside a tent, so we only do it very rarely when raining with a cadac safari

My Kador figure of 8 jointing strip is only in 1m lengths, so the join goes right above the door and it drips into van when raining, try and get longer ones

Has a sewn in ground sheet which is what I prefer. On the last site we were on the tent next to us had the birds and squirels in their living area when they went out for the day as they had gaps around edges
This review is really helpful as we are in the process of buying and we’re looking at this one.

Daft question coming your way. I’m a bit confused it says the awning comes with a kador attachment I presume that’s no good for driving away and that I would need to purchase one?

This review is really helpful as we are in the process of buying and we’re looking at this one.

Daft question coming your way. I’m a bit confused it says the awning comes with a kador attachment I presume that’s no good for driving away and that I would need to purchase one?
Yes the kador attachment on the awning would then fit into the figure of 8 piece on a driveaway kit which then fits into another piece which essentially has the kador attachment in both sides, one side fits into the figure of 8 piece and the other into the rail. This means that by removing the figure of 8 you can detach the awning.
This picture might show it better than I explained it
IMG_5116.jpeg

I've got an Outdoor Revolution Cayman Air Mid which I'm very happy with. Easy to set up and pack away, it's a nice compact size and I love that the sides can be removed for hot weather (if we ever get any!).

Just remember to remove your Kador strip from van when you drive away (i've forgotton a few times, although has always been there on return to base)

Yes the kador attachment on the awning would then fit into the figure of 8 piece on a driveaway kit which then fits into another piece which essentially has the kador attachment in both sides, one side fits into the figure of 8 piece and the other into the rail. This means that by removing the figure of 8 you can detach the awning.
This picture might show it better than I explained it
View attachment 251823
Thanks - that’s really helpful

Back