DSG Hints and tips

I hated dsg. What a pants thing it is. I prefer the full control of a good old manual gearbox. I decide what gear it goes in.
My dsg kombi isn't my daily drive or I would be thinking I've made a big mistake not getting the manual, when or if I get a transporter next think it will be a manual box for me not unless I get use to the dsg

I love auto's........but proper torque convertor auto's. I know they're thirsty but my beemer was sublime mated to a six cylinder petrol engine. Swore I'd never have another manual........then my wife got a dsg polo......and then I swore I'd never have another dsg! A hateful thing which was verging on dangerous at times........influenced my choice of manual on the T6. Is the clutch on the T6 wet or dry.......is was wet on the polo. Had it not been for the polo, I'd have gone dsg.......why change gear when you don't need to? The auto in my wife's current car.......a mini, is superb!

I love auto's........but proper torque convertor auto's. I know they're thirsty but my beemer was sublime mated to a six cylinder petrol engine. Swore I'd never have another manual........then my wife got a dsg polo......and then I swore I'd never have another dsg! A hateful thing which was verging on dangerous at times........influenced my choice of manual on the T6. Is the clutch on the T6 wet or dry.......is was wet on the polo. Had it not been for the polo, I'd have gone dsg.......why change gear when you don't need to? The auto in my wife's current car.......a mini, is superb!

The modern ZF boxes are better on fuel than manuals!

My 180 4motion was nearly impossible to spin off the line. The 204 4motion has broken traction a few times already....
Mine too, rev up and all 4 spin until traction control kicks in, makes a lot of noise and the torque fair pushes you back into the seat, great fun!

Well here's a thing :rolleyes:

Yes there is a slight hesitation when you move off and its probably worse with BM stop start and I do hate that stop start thing.

However the gearbox lag doesn't bother me. I have done a few advanced driving and riding courses on the road and I have always been taught to plan ahead so I simply take it in my stride.

I guess if I was trying to anticipate the Tree it would be a problem but hell - who would drag race a DSG box or for that matter a 2 litre diesel van?

Well here's a thing :rolleyes:

Yes there is a slight hesitation when you move off and its probably worse with BM stop start and I do hate that stop start thing.

However the gearbox lag doesn't bother me. I have done a few advanced driving and riding courses on the road and I have always been taught to plan ahead so I simply take it in my stride.

I guess if I was trying to anticipate the Tree it would be a problem but hell - who would drag race a DSG box or for that matter a 2 litre diesel van?

Why the sarcasm Van Blanc......a bit uncalled for really.

I was thinking the same @mopardave but was being polite and not saying anything but glad you have spoken up not everyone just wants to plod around in our 2.0ltr dirty diesel van do we ? ;) Or we would all be buying 102ps vans

Not being sarcastic - just making a point.

For what its worth the OP wanted to know about driving with DSG not track days, competition gearboxes or hooligan driving.

no problem V B.......maybe the sarcasm emoticon that was maybe chosen by mistake then?

I was thinking the same @mopardave but was being polite and not saying anything but glad you have spoken up not everyone just wants to plod around in our 2.0ltr dirty diesel van do we ? ;) Or we would all be buying 102ps vans
They are all 2 litre dirty diesel vans and I bet you do a lot of plodding around with the rest of us.

They are all 2 litre dirty diesel vans and I bet you do a lot of plodding around with the rest of us.
I do like plodding around keeps the mpg descent but when I'm stuck behind someone doing 25-30 in a 60 yes I know I can only do 50 in my kombi but I do like to use the power that cost me extra to pass them safely and quickly but the hesitation for a second or so before dsg decides to kick down makes me wary of overtaking not like the manual box where your in control ,hope using the extra power does not class me as a hooligan driver :)

I also opted for the DSG even though I've never owned one before. Got to say though, even after less than one week of owning it, I'm loving it.
I am actually finding that it suits my driving style quite well. I've usually got tools etc in the back, so have gotten used to driving smoothly to avoid stuff flying about in the back.
I haven't even used the tiptronic, or sports mode yet so can't comment on the difference they make.
Also loving the coasting setting, makes for an even more relaxing drive.
If you put together the DSG, auto lights and auto wipers then I've even found myself forgetting to use my indicators as I'm sort of expecting the van to do everything for me!
Three point turns are a bit of a flaff though. I have stopped bothering and drive a bit further to find a more suitable place to turn:thumbsup:

Back