Electric Tailgate intermittent closing issues Help!

Garv

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help with my electric tailgate intermittently not closing,
This has been going on for 6 months now, the vehicle is still under warranty but VW Derby have now got the vehicle for the third time,
  1. Trip one inspection supposed diagnostics found to be not closing new lock and latch ordered
  2. 6 weeks later back to dealer lock and latch fitted issue not resolved(tailgate damaged by technician finger print dents around unlock handle) advised the carpet fitted was obstructing the gasket despite being fitted for a year no issues. Went home cut all the 1.5mm carpet that was tucked into rubber trim neatly at the side of the gasket not stopping rubber trim being pushed up to panel
  3. Rebooked the vehicle in as issues still not solved, it’s the final quick pull before latching which is intermittent, am guessing the hydraulic motors either side of tailgate is the issue, had a conversation with the manager at Derby VW commercials expressed my disappointment length of time to fix time off work whilst they guess at fixing the issues……blahblah, am unsure if the technician don’t have the skill set to deal with the issue or because it’s warranty they are not interested! The manager called me again to say it’s the carpet I repeated all the above it’s been working for a year with carpet fitted no issue, it must be the hydraulic motors…….
  4. Why oh why won’t they just change the dam motors… He is coming back to me with a price to change the motors….as I need the tailgate working (regretting having it now)
  5. VW warranty is so disappointing, VW Birmingham useless couldn’t even calibrate my windscreen camera after a new windscreen was fitted, it seems Vw Derby aren’t much better.
  6. I just want the dam thing fixed can anyone offer any advice or point me to an independent, I am Staffordshire based will travel? who is actually interested in fixing the issue, and doing more than changing oil?

it’s the final quick pull before latching which is intermittent,
Sounds like you have Power Latching as well as Power Closing?

If so the final pull is after latching. The Power Latching moves the hasp on the floor forward slightly and once the tailgate is detected as fully latched on to it the servo motor on the van floor moves the hasp backwards to do the final close.

Thanks road tripper the yes issue seems to be the power closing this works intermittently, I have to use a manual push for the final push to let the power latching do its job,
Just to lock the darn thing if anyone can suggest a fix of the power closing, would save me emptying the sweat box daily!

Thanks road tripper the yes issue seems to be the power closing this works intermittently, I have to use a manual push for the final push to let the power latching do its job,
Just to lock the darn thing if anyone can suggest a fix of the power closing, would save me emptying the sweat box daily!
Mine had this. Ended up with a new module being fitted, located behind the right rear inside panel....it took VW 4 attempts before the module was changed.

Big Thanks for this reassuring news Danny, VW have had it 3 times now after cutting rear carpet, and the usual its because you have upgraded nonsense! Playing the blame game instead of just diagnosing the and fixing the thing,
I really had to push back and said I would pay for the tailgate motors if that didn't fix the problem, he rang back Friday and said the module you mentioned was rusty causing intermittent tailgate closing issues he thinks, no guarantees! fingers crossed this sorts the problem sounds like the same issue

Big Thanks for this reassuring news Danny, VW have had it 3 times now after cutting rear carpet, and the usual its because you have upgraded nonsense! Playing the blame game instead of just diagnosing the and fixing the thing,
I really had to push back and said I would pay for the tailgate motors if that didn't fix the problem, he rang back Friday and said the module you mentioned was rusty causing intermittent tailgate closing issues he thinks, no guarantees! fingers crossed this sorts the problem sounds like the same issue
Just be careful they don't damage the carpet lining on the panel etc or the roof....they refused to work on mine as it had been "modified"....I ended up removing everything for them as it was a case of "if we damaged it, it's not our responsibility" attitude....so that rules out 70% of vans i told them....
Have you tried Supreme Conversions in Telford? They do warranty work, have forgetton more than the average VW technician knows especially with electric. They'll also respect your van.

Just be careful they don't damage the carpet lining on the panel etc or the roof....they refused to work on mine as it had been "modified"....I ended up removing everything for them as it was a case of "if we damaged it, it's not our responsibility" attitude....so that rules out 70% of vans i told them....
Have you tried Supreme Conversions in Telford? They do warranty work, have forgetton more than the average VW technician knows especially with electric. They'll also respect your van.
Great shout will try Supreme Conversions in Telford next Birmingham VW useless apart from changing oil, am at VW derby at the moment but yes they have damaged the tailgate during this….so not really impressed it’s the timeline and the ineptness that’s so frustrating

Mine had this. Ended up with a new module being fitted, located behind the right rear inside panel....it took VW 4 attempts before the module was changed.
Do you know what module was faulty? I'm having exactly the same issue, very random, very annoying.

Module that controls the rear tailgate door had gone rusty causing malfunction, not good as vehicle only 2 year old, once changed issue solved under warranty eventually........

Module that controls the rear tailgate door had gone rusty causing malfunction, not good as vehicle only 2 year old, once changed issue solved under warranty eventually........
Appreciate updating us with the root cause :thumbsup:

Was there any indication/comment on where the water may have come from?

Appreciate updating us with the root cause :thumbsup:

Was there any indication/comment on where the water may have come from?
Condensation which is worrying as this may happen again.... not much heat in the rear in winter, bad design should at least be sillicon sealed...

Back