Ex RAC T6 wiring strip out

I just worked my way back towards the aux battery under the passenger seat, most of it is labelled, just take your time and don't cut anything until you are 100% sure it's not needed.
Yeah used the same logic but I’ve removed the aux battery. Would be nice to chase the un-needed wiring that’s coming from underneath but I’m getting there slowly catchy monkey.

For the purpose of anyone finding this thread - all the RAC wiring I removed from our 2017 T6 had been in plastic spiral trunking. VW wiring was partially wrapped in fabric tape, not in the trunking. Rear camera [thick black] and GPS [2x black thin] wire were loose but cable tied with the rest. I unplugged all of the connectors under the seat before cutting wires at the back

FYI Big mega thick red wires come from the engine battery, not the aux battery under the seat. Disconnect them from the engine battery otherwise sparks will fly!

For the purpose of anyone finding this thread - all the RAC wiring I removed from our 2017 T6 had been in plastic spiral trunking. VW wiring was partially wrapped in fabric tape, not in the trunking. Rear camera [thick black] and GPS [2x black thin] wire were loose but cable tied with the rest. I unplugged all of the connectors under the seat before cutting wires at the back

FYI Big mega thick red wires come from the engine battery, not the aux battery under the seat. Disconnect them from the engine battery otherwise sparks will fly!
Oh mate! Thanks for posting this! I'd just started to come to this conclusion but was nervous to get cutting.

Does anyone know how to remove the RAC T6 (2017) road speed limiter? Mine is limited to 74mph?!

Thanks.
It's limited via the ECU. I can never remember which between RAC/AA but one can be done easily and one can't. One of them have their ECUs delivered directly from Bosch so VW have no influence over the software and the limiter is hard coded. VCDS should be sufficient do remove it.

Hi everyone I am just stripping out the old wiring that comes in the RAC vans. Mine is a T6 2018 I have started at the back and am working my way to the front and I have a few questions.
Is there anything I should beware of when I strip it out? or is there stuff I need to reconnect? also is there any way of getting the rear view camera working again using their display?
I am just going to junk the lot and start again with my wiring.
Thanks.

If you've not found it via search yet this might help a bit

So i've junked the electrics now but i'm left with a couple of questions. Firstly does anyone know what the single yellow wire is and what it does it seems to come off the standard VW wiring secondly the live power came from the battery under the seat and fed relay 64 3 and 3 other fuses Im guessing they are the tow bar electrics and the 12v socket at the bottom of the gear. Now that the second battery is gone they will presumably need power again and are they already grounded? Can anyone shed some light on this please.Thanks.

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

wiring.jpg

Hello all

I’ve joined the Ex RAC movement with a 2017 van I picked up yesterday. I’ve searched the threads on the dreaded wiring and read as much as I can find, soon I’ll start following cables to strip out. TBH I wasn’t expecting so much wiring to be left in. Any tips learned from the process of stripping out? I have the wiring diagram kindly provided by a poster.

I have three strip lights, one in cab and two in rear triggered by the sliding door.

I have Voyager rear view mirror and two cameras. Is it worth trying to get this to work as reversing camera? I can see the cable tracking to the rear tailgate via the cab headlining.

I won’t be doing this quickly as I’m not highly confident about this task!

Having looked and looked at this wiring I’m not confident enough to start cutting. Is there anyone Birmingham Halesowen way that could help or I could pay to do the work?

Hi Euge

Like you I also purchased an ex RAC, seeing all the wiring was daunting. However I spent a day just tracing what had been cut/tied back I think in total out of 19 individual wires that went back to under the passenger seat, I removed 16 of them. Have a look at my posts, just don't cut/remove anything if unsure.
Good Luck

Thanks @GilbsT32 for the encouragement.

Am I right that on the spare battery under the seat, the big cables in the corrugated conduit supply the auxiliary fuse box? There’s two other thick cables that I think come from the alternator?

Good luck @B3nmworanget6, I’m gonna start tomorrow.

IMG_5008.jpeg

On mine I chased the cable not to the alternator but to the positive on the main battery.
After isolating this I found this could be pulled through and removed
I removed the passenger seat and lifted the mat to find the earth connected to the floor of the van.
I replaced the headunit and found a few wires cut off and tucked away, think this was for the reversing camera

IMG_2314.jpeg

IMG_2315.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

30117277-8AF6-4E63-9FD8-CEABC1015B2B.jpeg

B2F391B0-B81C-43E2-9DC5-EA16570DA036.jpeg

IMG_2322.jpeg

That was a big help.
The positive on the battery was labelled Front Battery and that’s off, but I can’t pull it either way. It goes down into the dash and I guess through the wing???

I’m left with a few cables under the floor that looks like a grey comms cable, GPS and a black wire. They’re going up to the centre of the dash.

In the cab roof are cables to the strobe switches that needs to come out, and I can see the rear camera cable that runs to the camera.

Finally am I right to disconnect the double fuse that runs to the rear and the jump connection. There’s another cable in the conduit going downwards but I can’t see where to?

IMG_5045.jpeg

IMG_5046.jpeg

IMG_5043.jpeg

IMG_5044.jpeg

IMG_5042.jpeg

Well done, i took the seats out completely as it made my life a little easier to remove things. Also you can remove the B pillars and pull through the plastic tubing used for wiring.
Just make sue the van is on level ground and in gear as when you disconnect the handbrake there is the potential of the van moving.
The cigarette charger on the lower housing passenger side with a 12v sticker next to it I also removed. At some point this will go into the centre port on the dash.
The strip lights I removed completely, looking to reuse and put all three in the back via leisure battery etc.
You may find that if you remove the stereo(easy to do)there could be some cables tucked in behind that have been cut.
As for the Fuses, i took the both out and put to one side, as not knowing 100% what they are for….poss tow bar‍♂️
As for the positive’s, on mine one was fed via the front wing to the battery, the other was under the floor.
Once finished you could be left with 2 piles like in the pics of waste.
Hope this helps?

IMG_1653.jpeg

81BA338F-1DF7-4E6A-BA4F-B4C6C810C728.jpeg

I did remove the passenger double seat tk gain access and it makes it a bit simpler. Yes I have a pile of cables and a fuse box. Everything is out of the rear thank goodness. At the moment I’ve left the relays 100 and 643 in situ but they’re not connected to anything. Can’t say I found a positive under the floor yet.

Did you take out the double fuse next to the main battery? I’ve disconnected it and don’t think it’s now needed. Is this where the second positive runs from?

Where doe the original loom run in the rear, it it cable tied as the whole thing was?

So I had a Positive/ Battery feed that had been cut off under the double seat, this I trace and it went through the passenger side footwell into the wing and reappeared near the battery through a hole that I believe was made to accommodate this cable.
The second positive/Battery cable ran from the main battery through the bulk head under the carpet, again passenger side and connected to the Aux battery under the seat….pic below how mine currently looks.
I have only left the original battery connections connected that I believe were factory.
As for the original loom, mine runs down the passenger side, I had to remove the old cable ties to remove unwanted wiring. Only cut the cable ties as you can reuse the fixings to strap the wiring back up when done.

IMG_2412.jpeg

Back