First time in the T6.1 campervan purchase market

Skipper9999

VIP Member
Hi, I’m pleased I’ve found a wonderful forum dedicated to T6.1

Well were did I come from , having owned a Hymer coach build for 14 years while our son toured with us, finally sold it in 2019 and now he’s flown the nest the nest I’m getting itchy feet to replace one of the cars with a T6.1.

It’s been bouncing around in my head for over a year. My first port of call was the NEC last October to narrow the choice (it sort of helped).

Then last week I hired one for 3 nights from Cambridge Campers, I must add a great company and very nice hire van. Even if it did have a stick to change gears.

My narrowed down list is
Something about 3 years old , I believe nothing much has change in the time.
AUTOMATIC on a highline model, however should I be concerned if a T28 or T30
SINGLE CAPTAIN SEATS happy with fabric, how does this wear? I would like heated I believe this can be retro fitted
I believe park assist, heated screen and mirrors , adaptive cruise, apple car play are standard on highline, if no rear camera can these be retro fitted
WHEELS , my heart says 17inch while my eyes say 20inch
RIB BED , I like the space at the back for storage.
TAILGATE
Undecided on microwave or grill?
Does it matter on make of fridge or internal heater?
Do awnings make a noise while driving?
Panoramic roof? Cant decide as long as top window flaps open.
Is hot water a luxury?
Is NCC important?

I hope this is acceptable for my first post.

Skipper

Welcome Skipper,

This is the site for you from your first post. I am sure you will get lots of good advice. I love this site and you will always find ranging answers for all your questions. My advice:

All CV owners have varied opinions on what has worked for them or not worked for them, these are your reviewers. Take note of what they advise and research yourself before you buy.

I have over bough so many items that I think I needed but then got rid as I do not use it.

Good luck in your CV search, love the adventure.

Tony

Hi, I’m pleased I’ve found a wonderful forum dedicated to T6.1

Well were did I come from , having owned a Hymer coach build for 14 years while our son toured with us, finally sold it in 2019 and now he’s flown the nest the nest I’m getting itchy feet to replace one of the cars with a T6.1.

It’s been bouncing around in my head for over a year. My first port of call was the NEC last October to narrow the choice (it sort of helped).

Then last week I hired one for 3 nights from Cambridge Campers, I must add a great company and very nice hire van. Even if it did have a stick to change gears.

My narrowed down list is
Something about 3 years old , I believe nothing much has change in the time.
AUTOMATIC on a highline model, however should I be concerned if a T28 or T30
SINGLE CAPTAIN SEATS happy with fabric, how does this wear? I would like heated I believe this can be retro fitted
I believe park assist, heated screen and mirrors , adaptive cruise, apple car play are standard on highline, if no rear camera can these be retro fitted
WHEELS , my heart says 17inch while my eyes say 20inch
RIB BED , I like the space at the back for storage.
TAILGATE
Undecided on microwave or grill?
Does it matter on make of fridge or internal heater?
Do awnings make a noise while driving?
Panoramic roof? Cant decide as long as top window flaps open.
Is hot water a luxury?
Is NCC important?

I hope this is acceptable for my first post.

Skipper
I'd go T30, although I understand T28 not a huge issues
Wheels - your preference
Rib bed - agree
Tailgate- absolutely
Microwave or grill? Neither - storage space much more important IMO
Hot water -we are generally always on campsites, so I would consider a luxury and something else to go wrong.

Others will comment on stuff that I can't comment like Fiamma awnings etc.

Just bought my first T6.1 auto camper last month. Maybe could help a bit here:
- decide on SWB or LWB first. Biggest decision.
- my T6.1 with RIB bed, kitchen, Reimo roof weights in at 2520kg with 2 people (143kg), luggage, camping equipment. So about 2400kg without people. T30 or T32 therefore might be a better option.
- haven't got gas, use microwave/grill (max 10A) and induction. Microwave built but fits under the RIB bed easily enough.Some campsites are 10A EHU, some 16A. Also carry a couple of smaller gas cookers with small gas canisters just in case.
- definitely tailgate
- the DSG gearbox is brilliant, but will add 2-3K into the price
- I'm on 18" wheels, ride ups perfectly fine and looks not too bad
- definitely need: aircon, cruise, single seats at front. Ideally LCD lights as well.
- you can add a 2 year warranty, maintenance, breakdown and MOT package directly from VW for about£40 pet month - well worth doing.

- Mine doesn't have a rear camera but I now consider this a must as well for a LWB.

hope this helps

Just bought my first T6.1 auto camper last month. Maybe could help a bit here:
- decide on SWB or LWB first. Biggest decision.
- my T6.1 with RIB bed, kitchen, Reimo roof weights in at 2520kg with 2 people (143kg), luggage, camping equipment. So about 2400kg without people. T30 or T32 therefore might be a better option.
- haven't got gas, use microwave/grill (max 10A) and induction. Microwave built but fits under the RIB bed easily enough.Some campsites are 10A EHU, some 16A. Also carry a couple of smaller gas cookers with small gas canisters just in case.
- definitely tailgate
- the DSG gearbox is brilliant, but will add 2-3K into the price
- I'm on 18" wheels, ride ups perfectly fine and looks not too bad
- definitely need: aircon, cruise, single seats at front. Ideally LCD lights as well.
- you can add a 2 year warranty, maintenance, breakdown and MOT package directly from VW for about£40 pet month - well worth doing.

- Mine doesn't have a rear camera but I now consider this a must as well for a LWB.

hope this helps
Thanks for that , I have already decided on SWB just forgot to mention it. Nice for you to breakdown the weight as I’m looking at a T28 and had a few concerns about the add ons.

Do you know if a portapotti fits under a RIB bed?

Skipper

Yep, I have the Thetford 565E, fits perfectly under my back seat of the RIB bed. If you want it to go under the main seat, you'll need one that's not quite as tall just because of the metal frame at the back.

Thetford 345 fits perfectly under our RIB bed. If you're reasonably agile (and haven't got the back seat loaded with junk) it's even possible to use it in situ when the need arises ;) (privacy glass / blackout curtains usually essential, depending on where/when the need arises!)

We're also new to the T6 campervan world, but for what it's worth, a few other thoughts:

RIB definitely - don't know how we'd manage with traditional R&R for storage.

Single passenger swivel definitely. Couldn't be bothering with the incovenience of a double. Possible to swap standard double for a single, but will cost around £1500.

Orginally thought microwave/oven built in, but agree with kipperman, storage space more important. We have gas, but also recently bought an induction hob (Vango)

Originally was determined to get DSG, but the additional cost plus the lack of availability / choice led me to try a manual. The manual shift is very light and easy, and it surprised me how little it bothers me, after driving automatics for the best part of 20 years.

Awnings - no experience of fitted wind out awnings, but I also wondered about noise / extra weight. Very happy to have an awning rail instead, and a simple easy to erect sail awning (Debus) plus drive away awnig for longer stays (Vango)

Wheels - we have the standard VW 16" which are OK (for now). Purely for aesthetics, I would like perhaps 18", but from what I've gleaned on here, modified suspension is as, if not more, important a consideration. In the end, other factors were a higher priority for us (RIB, tailgate, single passenger seat, 3 years VW warranty, also 3 years on the conversion etc.), and wheels / suspension can always be changed later on.

NCC approved? Ours is (more by luck than judgement). The V5 states "Motor Caravan" for body type, and category M1, which I believe may be different if it's not NCC. Not sure how this impacts insurance etc. - again, I'll leave it to others with more kowledge to expand.

Hope some of this helps :)

Have you asked Cambridge Campervans if they could source/spec one to your requirements? They pretty much did that for me:

150, DSG, LED lights, twin captains chairs (heated), heated screen, tailgate, retro fitted rear camera, RIB bed, solar etc. They're good people (no connection other than a customer)

Edit - grill is great for cheese on toast

Have you asked Cambridge Campervans if they could source/spec one to your requirements? They pretty much did that for me:

150, DSG, LED lights, twin captains chairs (heated), heated screen, tailgate, retro fitted rear camera, RIB bed, solar etc. They're good people (no connection other than a customer)

Edit - grill is great for cheese on toast
Yes I found them excellent sadly the single seats on an automatic appear to have dried up.

We never used our oven/grill, so our new van has a cupboard there.

Hot water takes up a lot of space and gas, and I wouldn’t use it.

Highline is a good choice. Reversing camera really useful.

Unless you really need to keep it in a short garage, I would go LWB.

Oven/grill - wouldn't (didn't) bother
Hot water - perfectly doable provided you have a decent lithium/solar power set-up
SWB/LWB - LWB every time (difference barely perceptible when driving, but makes a HUGE difference when camping)
T28/T30/T32 - non-issue if you're prepared to up-plate (purely a paper exercise)
DSG/manual - DSG every time
Single/double passenger seat - single unless you absolutely must have an extra belted seat (people complain about how uncomfortable the double seat is)
Do awnings make a noise while driving? - only if you've forgotten to detach it prior to driving off! :rofl:

Re swb/lwb - I once spoke with somebody that had four campervans that he rented out as a side business, 3 swb & 1 lwb. The lwb was the only one that regularly got the parking knocks.

Probably says more about your average renter than how weildy the longer van is. But still...

We all want something different, so decide what suits *you* - just for example we would absolutely not be without our gas oven /grill in a SWB with barn doors. For us anything else would be most unsuitable!

We wouldn’t be without our air suspension either, but others hate it!

If you can't find the camper van you want, then it maybe worth thinking of getting a van and having it converted to your spec.
Our online calculator will work out the exact cost to your specification, so it maybe worth checking out.

I thought's on a few of your questions....
The fabric is pretty hard wearing, no real concerns.
Personally I like the grill or oven and grill as its gas and can still be used without hookup. But does take a good chuck on kitchen space on a SWB.
We wouldn't install a cheap Chinese heater, so yes there us a difference.
You can get a rattle from awnings, but not really wind noises.
Yes a portable potti cube fits under the front of a RIB bed.
Hope the above helps. I've left the link below to my website should you wish to try and online quote.

www.ajcconversions.co.uk.

If you can't find the camper van you want, then it maybe worth thinking of getting a van and having it converted to your spec.
Our online calculator will work out the exact cost to your specification, so it maybe worth checking out.

I thought's on a few of your questions....
The fabric is pretty hard wearing, no real concerns.
Personally I like the grill or oven and grill as its gas and can still be used without hookup. But does take a good chuck on kitchen space on a SWB.
We wouldn't install a cheap Chinese heater, so yes there us a difference.
You can get a rattle from awnings, but not really wind noises.
Yes a portable potti cube fits under the front of a RIB bed.
Hope the above helps. I've left the link below to my website should you wish to try and online quote.

www.ajcconversions.co.uk.
brilliant website and calculator BTW. Really helped me when looking for a van to convert.

Back