Fordswagen Transitster - Anyone else having their head turned?

Is the new T7 the only VW model that is being fitted by Ford?
I mean are the camper van models still being produced by VW?

I seem to have read more on this than I might have thought. My current understanding is this:

ID Buzz - Pure VW. California variant not yet confirmed as far as I'm aware. That said, I'm not fussed for a camper so only really watch for news on a Kombi equivalent.

Multivan - This is the vehicle that seems to be a T6/Sharon mash up. Van proportions, built on a car platform Pure VW. California concept here:

The All-New California Concept | Volkswagen Vans

The new T7 - Ford based. Quite how much involvement VW have had remains to be seen but it def appears to be being built on the Transit chassis/drivetrain with a few cosmetic changes. Seems to be an arrangement much like the latest Amarok (Ford Ranger underneath). Whether the T7 spawns a camper version remains to be seen but I bet Ford (or some other aftermarket modder) will do one ont he new platform.

Last edited:
Spoken to our ford delivery driver about the new transit he's running and he's not a fan. Drives lovely but has a heap of issues and a bad knocking noise from the rear. He would rather have his old one back because the safety features are abit intrusive and he can't turn them off. Got to say it does look better in the flesh and it's fit is better than the old one, but I would still rather keep my old sack of.

Had my power steering pump replaced this week after pulley somehow cleaned itself off! Guy in service dept hadn't seen before! Replaced belt too... Must keep my eye out for this wet belt! Money pit! Do like the size of the new ones better. Bit less intrusive! :thumbsdown:

Particularly intrigued by the new 2.5L petrol plug in hybrid version. 232PS and ~25 miles on full electric. Would hopefully solve many of the EGR/DPF related issues my T6 has been having.

Great minds think alike. Having had to have oil drained this week due to failed DPF Regen the thought of a petrol hybrid is very attractive.
And I admit I thought the Ford looked better than the VW in the first post o_O

Is the new T7 the only VW model that is being fitted by Ford?
I mean are the camper van models still being produced by VW?
Californias are made by Westphalia on a VW base van. The Cali interior is basically a cassette that slides into the back of the base van, the whole thing is pre-made. That’s why they only come with a RHS sliding door. Presumably, the “new” Cali will be fitted into a Transitster.

Ford looks ugly!
It does in pictures, fully agree, but having seen a couple IRL the pictures don’t do it justice. It looks alright on the road.

As for anyone interested- I would be. As you say VWs have quite a few serious issues and you pay a hefty premium for the badge too. You can get a better specced lower mileage Mercedes for less. So sure, when the new VW is the same as the new transit wth would you pay badge premium? VW will have to be offering some decent level of options over the Ford otherwise you’re showing yourself as a mug by buying one.

"The Ranger and this product [Transit Custom/Transporter], the engineering and manufacturing are led by Ford," Peter Watt, communications chief for Ford's commercial-vehicle division, named Ford Pro.

"So all the content that you see in this product is Ford content."

Back