Fussy Dashcam Power Supply Issue

DavidWNE

VIP Member
Hi,

So I have an aftermarket reverse camera and a dash cam that are powered by a single piggy back on one of the spare fuse slots in the dash on my T6.1.

My reverse camera has no problem being powered off this slot, but my Dashcam is having none of it and not powering up. Initially I thought it must be a bad connection but it's definitely not that.

Has anyone else experienced this? A Dashcam that I can only assume doesn't seem to like a specific voltage. If I plug it in via the cigarette lighter USB slot then it works fine. Problem is I want it to be powered on when ignition is on only.

Thank you!
David

Hi,

So I have an aftermarket reverse camera and a dash cam that are powered by a single piggy back on one of the spare fuse slots in the dash on my T6.1.

My reverse camera has no problem being powered off this slot, but my Dashcam is having none of it and not powering up. Initially I thought it must be a bad connection but it's definitely not that.

Has anyone else experienced this? A Dashcam that I can only assume doesn't seem to like a specific voltage. If I plug it in via the cigarette lighter USB slot then it works fine. Problem is I want it to be powered on when ignition is on only.

Thank you!
David
Have you tried different fuse slots and breakout fuses? Does the spare slot definitely have power to it? Is it a hardwire kit that needs a permanent pos as well as a switched pos feed? Have you tested the cable for continuity (I assume it’s a different cable to the one you use for the cig socket)? I found my CarPlay screen was very sensitive to which USB cable I used and with some it would trip off when stop/start engaged but was fine with others.

Have you tried different fuse slots and breakout fuses? Does the spare slot definitely have power to it? Is it a hardwire kit that needs a permanent pos as well as a switched pos feed? Have you tested the cable for continuity (I assume it’s a different cable to the one you use for the cig socket)? I found my CarPlay screen was very sensitive to which USB cable I used and with some it would trip off when stop/start engaged but was fine with others.
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I've tried multiple spare fuse slots on row 39-46 and also some of the used slots. The reverse camera screen works fine every time and nothing from the Dashcam.

The Dashcam cable I'm using is the original USB cable with the USB fitting snipped off and then hard wired in using a piggy back fuse and the neutral is connected to the chassis.

Regarding continuity I've swapped the end back to the USB plug (the original) and it works fine using the USB cigarette slot.

It's as though the voltage within the fuse box is slightly different to the cigarette lighter and the Dashcam doesn't like it!

The Dashcam cable I'm using is the original USB cable with the USB fitting snipped off and then hard wired in using a piggy back fuse and the neutral is connected to the chassis.

If the dash cam is USB supplied it will be 5 volt. Are you using anything to drop the voltage from 12 to 5?

Back