H7 DRL

Chris1983

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all,

Having a bit of a mare with left hand DRL.

Light bulb out light came on, narrowed down to left DRL in a headlight unit that has been replaced from H4 candles to H7, with no problems.

Replaced the bulb, warning went off, presumed solved but same again, presumed dodgy bulb, so bough another, straight out of box not working.

I have cleaned contact and ‘wiggled around’ DRL did seem to come on which seems to suggest positional issue.

Any thoughts how I can move forwards? I can only just get my hand in but everything seems to ‘seat’ in just fine?!

Many thanks,

Chris

• Sad
Reactions: CAB

Where are the supply wires?

In the new part they go straight into the holder in the old part they go to the headlight unit IIRC.

It's not just melting the earlier stages are damaged contacts, get the lamp out and see what the contact surfaces are like?

No, you have the lamp holders in your hand in those pictures?

Take the blue wedge lamp out and see what the holder contacts look like?

Oh, thought you meant find the wires in larger housing.

The small lamp holder looks fine to me?!image.jpg

Sleuthing…

Swapped passenger side to drivers side (horrible fiddly job).

Drivers side works, swap the other way passenger doesn’t. So narrowed down to a problem in passenger side headlight unit presumably?

Try giving the contacts on the side of the DRL holder and the corresponding ones in the headlight a clean. Marked in red on the pic below. If that doesn’t work you will likely need to replace the holders with the new version.

IMG_7166.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
From those pics you have the older holder design as you're not attached to the van by the wires :thumbsup:

Check the lamp contacts and the housing contacts, don't use anything abrasive to clean unless it's a last resort as the micro scratches will encourage corrosion back really quickly. Ideally use IPA or electrical contact cleaner and a lint free cloth to give a good scrub, or a cotton buds to get access, first.

Hmm, tried that.

Does anyone have part number for newer holders? I don’t have any electrical skill though, and in the thread someone kindly linked, suggested soldering etc.

I presume a Vw garage could sort this but likely cost ££££

I presume a Vw garage could sort this but likely cost ££££
I the other thread it was noted by VW as a design fault though, I don't know how out of any warranty you are but that's a good point to start the conversation.

I don't think any VW reference was found though, which would help.

Is this the ‘new’ holder I would need?
That's the part number quoted by @Pauly on the other thread.

Back