H7 Headlamp - Changing W27W DRL Bulb

peterposh

The daylight running bulb has popped on my headlight, looks to be quite cramped in there, is it like my skoda, a bumper off job?

Are they H4s? If so, access from the back is dead easy, took me 10 mins to replace mine with LEDs

If you have a panel van or Kombi with standard headlights, the DRL bulb is a P21W

The dipped/main beam headlight bulb is an H4.

If you have a Caravelle or California with standard headlights, the DRL bulb is a W21W.

The dipped / main beam headlight is an H7.

If you have a van with LED headlights, you cannot change the DRL - only the indicator bulb.

There is no need to remove the bumper to replace these bulbs. Time, patience, a torch and a mirror will help though.

I've got big hands ! I've finally got the bulb out , testing it with a 12v and it's ok ! Grrr , I've booked it into VW anyway for the sliding door internal handle that has broken on warranty , so they can check it out for me

20180411_155837(1).png

I had to wait 4 weeks to book the vehicle in, they told me it needs a new headlight as it's melted inside, waited for 3 weeks for them to ring me back which of course they didn't, I then rang them and the next appointment to fit the light is mid July, good job it's only the DRL

@peterposh @zombie_T6 @MrT6 Gents just been reading this and strangely enough my DRL on the paxs side has gone - 1 month after warranty expired - bulb checked by local garage all ok! MAD WOULD be an understatement.... I plan to try a new bulb anyway ...just to see! Mrs has the camper for a couple of days so can't check. I have the LWB Shuttle & the picture shown above @peterposh is exactly the same as mine. All other lights are all ok - thankfully.

1. Does anyone know if they are on a separate fuse?
2. Anything else I can check?
3. Dare I ask how much a new Headlight would be - any alternatives?

Any help, thoughts, guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks Paul

If o want to replace my dull orange drl with led as shown below what bulb do I need please and who sells them? Thanks

20190607_141532.jpg

Worth having ago at attaching a small mirror to a needle so you can see with a light. WARNING they are a pain in the butt! Watch out for the connectors as they bend and you are stuffed when this happens.... Yes it happened to me so the full headlight had to come out ... a riGGG pain in the arse! Good luck

Is this a common problem? I've one DRL out and Mot in 1 week. I checked the bulb and it looks good but the holder is melted. I guess I'll have to remove the whole light to see if it's fixable.

Is this a common problem? I've one DRL out and Mot in 1 week. I checked the bulb and it looks good but the holder is melted. I guess I'll have to remove the whole light to see if it's fixable.
it is only an MOT failure for very new models. Mine is 16 plate and has gone 3 times this year ... so I have given up at this stage. BUT NOT an MOT failure for me. not exactly sure when they changed possibly 2018 - but plese check on.Gov MOT site.

Cheers Paul

Back