Has anyone fitted a genuine Towbar wiring kit to a T6.1 without trailer prep?

rob_watson

VIP Member
I've just fit the Westfalia towbar to my new 72 plate T28 SWB panel van yesterday and have a vehicle specific wring kit which i haven't fit yet but I'm thinking of getting a genuine kit if one is available? Does anyone have any experience of fitting the genuine kit? Is it fairly straight forward? Anybody know the part number for the kit?

Thanks
Rob

I've just fit the Westfalia towbar to my new 72 plate T28 SWB panel van yesterday and have a vehicle specific wring kit which i haven't fit yet but I'm thinking of getting a genuine kit if one is available? Does anyone have any experience of fitting the genuine kit? Is it fairly straight forward? Anybody know the part number for the kit?

Thanks
Rob
I fitted the Westfalia detachable tower and a PF Jones 7-pin wiring kit to my 6.1 recently.
Mechanically, very straight-forward.
Electrically, time consuming, but mostly straightforward (routing the cable loom front to back was just a chore when you're doing it on your back - much easier if you have access to ramps). The only real pain is the wiring into the plugs at the BCM in the dashboard. Access is tight, but got there in the end and it's all working perfectly (thanks to a friendly auto-electrician who enabled it for me at he same time as he did the rear speaker fader and reversing camera I'd recently fitted too!) :)

Thanks for the info guys. It was the genuine VW wiring kit i was looking for more info on. Is it worth paying that bit extra to get the genuine kit and module?

I am in the process of fitting this, westfalia detachable bar is bolted in and i have a genuine wiring kit unreeled on the garage floor ready to install

I have the van jacked up and most of the under body trays removed ready to install the wiring

Not sure how other kits fit but this genuine one goes underneath and down the nearside of van towards rear axle then crosses to the offside and runs forwards and up into the (RHD) drivers seat base, this is where the towbar control module sits, from here theres another loom that runs over to the passenger seat base to pick up power and theres a few cores that run under the floor into the dash

IMG_5804.JPG

Wiring kit with 13 pin plug part number is 7LA055204
92B1227F-A7DD-4508-81D3-CF4666888149.jpeg

The kit wiring has pre crimped ends that are designed to go into spare fuse slots under the passenger seat

If you dont have this already then the 'add a fusebox' part number is 000 055 212 A

CD6487F3-2DD3-488F-BC78-0CC26B934740.jpeg

5725FB20-2F3D-46FB-8809-01551CD6580E.jpeg

Mine already had the spare fuse slots under passenger seat but not sure what options/when they are fitted ??

View attachment 184029

The kit wiring has pre crimped ends that are designed to go into spare fuse slots under the passenger seat

If you dont have this already then the 'add a fusebox' part number is 000 055 212 A

View attachment 184031

View attachment 184030
Mine already had the spare fuse slots under passenger seat but not sure what options/when they are fitted ??

Thanks Pauly. Yes mine has the under passenger seat fuse slots. I'm going to order the genuine kit today.

Cheers, Rob

View attachment 184029

View attachment 184031

View attachment 184030
Pauly, my kit doesn't have the foam parts on like yours does and nothing in the original bumper support has these on mine. Did you order these from VW?

Pauly, my kit doesn't have the foam parts on like yours does and nothing in the original bumper support has these on mine. Did you order these from VW?
Yes, they are an extra. The westfalia manual has the part numbers etc
Rear Bumper Foam Filler Piece T5 and T6

If its a panel van, then you probably also need the plastic support strip for the top of the bumper too. Again, should be in the manual.

No doubt plenty will chip in with "i never fitted them and its fine" - which i'm sure it is, but to do it properly like VW, you need them.

You might also want the hitch holder, fits neat beside the jack.

As above, if it’s a kombi you just need the two (horrendously over priced) foam strips to support the bumper, if it’s a PV you also need the plastic piece and some extra plastic clips to hold it in place

Yes, they are an extra. The westfalia manual has the part numbers etc
Rear Bumper Foam Filler Piece T5 and T6

If its a panel van, then you probably also need the plastic support strip for the top of the bumper too. Again, should be in the manual.

No doubt plenty will chip in with "i never fitted them and its fine" - which i'm sure it is, but to do it properly like VW, you need them.

You might also want the hitch holder, fits neat beside the jack.
I've just checked the Westfalia manual and it doesn't list the part numbers for these foam bits. It lists the PN number for the plastic support bit and the foam hitch holder. Guessing i still need them though

Hello all

I'm looking to get a tow bar fitted. Couple of questions.

I have a T6.1 panel van LWB. No tow bar prep.

Would this be the correct part number for the loom?
"Wiring kit with 13 pin plug part number is 7LA055204"

Would that loom work with Tow Trust tow bar that Dellmassive mentioned in a post above?

I think it has some fuses under the passenger seat.

Lastly, would it be better to use this loom rather than one that pfjones sell?

Thank you for any help.

In my opinion yes it would be better to use the genuine wiring kit but i will report back once it is installed and programmed.

There is no difference wether you fit the westfalia loom, or any of the other vehicle specific ones. All the correct coding is possible, and all the lights etc work, thats all you need from it.

If you're going for a further retrofit of the trailer assist or other linked systems then you might require westfalia, but otherwise its not essential.

Buy whatever is the best price

I am in the process of fitting this, westfalia detachable bar is bolted in and i have a genuine wiring kit unreeled on the garage floor ready to install

I have the van jacked up and most of the under body trays removed ready to install the wiring

Not sure how other kits fit but this genuine one goes underneath and down the nearside of van towards rear axle then crosses to the offside and runs forwards and up into the (RHD) drivers seat base, this is where the towbar control module sits, from here theres another loom that runs over to the passenger seat base to pick up power and theres a few cores that run under the floor into the dash

View attachment 184021
Hi Pauly. Did you managed to get this all installed ok? I'm going to tackle the wiring install this week i think. Did the wires terminate in the fuse box under the passenger seat?

TBH no I haven’t, I have fitted the bar and run the wiring under van and into the seat base but that’s as far as I got, I have some other mods planned (heater/audio etc) that need wiring around the cab so trying to get everything ready then take the seats out once and do it all in one go

Back