Hello from the west midlands

AshHT6

A massive hello to all! My name is Ashley and I'm located in the west midlands. Me and my wife have always wanted a transporter and we finally purchased a 2018 T6 in February and it was a standard highline panel van. I've been customising it since and I've been on the forum many times looking for information and finally decided to join you all. Work so far includes: stereo change (with lots of issues to get it all working), reverse camera, comfort dash glove box, sunglasses holder, door seals, dash seal, bulk head removal, racking removal, ply removal, sound deadening, insulation, custom made floor plate to take transit torneo seats/brackets (I know they are not VW but they are great seats ), raise floor, floor vinyl, re-install part bott smart racking, rear threshold cover, custom ply sliding door partition, x2 flush sliding windows. I think that's everything. I'm doing all the work myself and I've got loads more planned. The van is mainly my work van but it will also be a family van for camping trips etc... (just booked Camper Jam which im excited about) So It needs to be clean, tidy and versatile. If I can help anyone with anything, please get in touch. And I've got loads of pics If anyone is interested in any of the work I've done so far. Thanks all, Ashley

A massive hello to all! My name is Ashley and I'm located in the west midlands. Me and my wife have always wanted a transporter and we finally purchased a 2018 T6 in February and it was a standard highline panel van. I've been customising it since and I've been on the forum many times looking for information and finally decided to join you all. Work so far includes: stereo change (with lots of issues to get it all working), reverse camera, comfort dash glove box, sunglasses holder, door seals, dash seal, bulk head removal, racking removal, ply removal, sound deadening, insulation, custom made floor plate to take transit torneo seats/brackets (I know they are not VW but they are great seats ), raise floor, floor vinyl, re-install part bott smart racking, rear threshold cover, custom ply sliding door partition, x2 flush sliding windows. I think that's everything. I'm doing all the work myself and I've got loads more planned. The van is mainly my work van but it will also be a family van for camping trips etc... (just booked Camper Jam which im excited about) So It needs to be clean, tidy and versatile. If I can help anyone with anything, please get in touch. And I've got loads of pics If anyone is interested in any of the work I've done so far. Thanks all, Ashley
Hi @AshHT6, welcome to the forum.

We're a nosey bunch on here, so, yes, pics are always welcomed. In fact, an unofficial forum rule is that if there no pics, it didn't happen!

Nice work - I'm guessing you've done this sort of thing before?

That racking looks substantial - what are you carrying around in that? (That's a roundabout way of asking what trade you're in... did I mention we're nosey here? :rofl:).

Nice work - I'm guessing you've done this sort of thing before?

That racking looks substantial - what are you carrying around in that? (That's a roundabout way of asking what trade you're in... did I mention we're nosey here? :rofl:).
Thanks! Never done anything in a van before. I was a graphic designer until 2 years ago but I've always been handy and I needed a change. I'm now a bathroom fitter/multi trades, so I'm ok with making and modifying things and I have plenty of tools. The racking came with the van (plumbers van) and it is heavy duty, buts it's really good, solid stuff and my tool cases fit perfectly in it, so I choose to keep some of it. I could of sold it all and made some from ply.

Hi there to another midlands dubber!!!

How you finding the whole process so far?
Hi there. I'm really enjoying the forum and I'm loving being part of the transporter club. Always wanted one. Hope you're enjoying it on here. If I can help anyone on here in anyway, that will be great.

Looking good , Hoping youve bolted those seats through the steel floor and not just the ply ?
Thanks. I've made a plate sandwich of x2 sheets of 1.5mm steel and 12mm structural ply. Glued and screwed together and bolted with x8 stainless steel bolts to the anchor points in the floor. Then the original ply has been screwed down to the van floor through that and then the bot racking has gone over part of it and is bolted to the floor and the top of the van. The brackets for the seats are fastened to bolts that are cold welded under the plate. (If all that makes sense?). I had the seats off a friend of mine who paid a van conversion company to install them in his van a couple of years ago and they did something similar. I had a quote from them and it was £900 plus vat, so I did it myself for around £250. I feel I've done enough to make it all solid and safe but I'm not sure how I get it checked going forward if I want to update the v5c and tell the insurance etc.

20240331_131502.jpg

20240413_140021.jpg

20240331_174748.jpg

20240329_114826.jpg

20240330_094302.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Back