My first VW van

ACRAD1991

Hi All,

First off thank you for this forum, I am brand new and so far everyone has been so helpful and I've gotten some great inspo from the posts and feedback to my questions.

Soo after few months of searching I've finally taken the plunge and purchased a VW T6.. a T30 TDI P/V STARTLINE BMT to be exact.

There were a few specs I was adamant I wanted.. I wanted panel van in pure grey, it had to have a tailgate not barn doors, and have pilot chairs not the bench seat.

I was lucky enough to find the right spec with A/C, twin sliding doors and already fitted with security locks..

My intention internally is to convert into a stealth camper for camping, hiking and fishing trips. I've asked the pros at Combe valley campers for a quote for leisure battery, sound deadening, insulation and carpeting.. and asked a company called van fit solutions up in Middlesbrough who build bespoke van drawer systems to quote for a false floor and drawers made from marine grade hexa ply.

The plan externally is for a utilitarian swamper style.. I'll probably get some at3 or at4 tyres and abs wheel arches and side mouldings and mud flaps.. possibly front and side nudge bars for the aggressive look. And when money permits I'd like a flat dog roof rack and ARB side awning.

Anyway those are the plans and I'll keep you all updated on the progress.

Cheers all,
Aaron1000027416.jpg1000027422.jpg

Congrats Aaron - that looks like a lovely van you've got there.

Is the drawer system a "delivered and DIY install" job? Portsmouth to Middlesbrough is one hell of a distance otherwise.

Stitches + Steel make a hexa ply false floor with drawers.
1712760231910.png
Have always found the team there really helpful. Might be worth giving them a call.
According to their website they will even fit it for you, free, as they cannot ship it. Colchester is closer than Middlesbrough.

Congrats Aaron - that looks like a lovely van you've got there.

Is the drawer system a "delivered and DIY install" job? Portsmouth to Middlesbrough is one hell of a distance otherwise.
Hi Bav, no it's a bespoke fitted Install I would have to travel to Middlesbrough and stay for day/night and keep myself busy whilst they do the fitment.. I'll take my push bike and explore whilst I wait. Cheers, Aaron

Reactions: Bav
Stitches + Steel make a hexa ply false floor with drawers.
View attachment 236392
Have always found the team there really helpful. Might be worth giving them a call.
According to their website they will even fit it for you, free, as they cannot ship it. Colchester is closer than Middlesbrough.
Hi Fax, funny you should say this as s+s were my first choice I made the trip up there last month and test drove a converted 19plate T6 was looovely but was 25K.. a little out my budget. This s+s false floor drawer conversion you suggested is like 4K I think which is still quite expensive.
I found a company van fit solutions which build bespoke drawer systems to your own specification and is like half the price.. I'm getting 2 large drawers at rear same as pictures attached and 3 smaller drawers on both left and right sliding doors.. the false floor will be above wheel arches so will be one continuous flat surface for an inflatable mattress but there will be no shelves like in the pics. They have also agreed to use the non-slip hexa ply on top surface and drawer fronts to give it less of that woodworky look.

cheers,
aaron

IMG_1814-scaled.jpg

IMG_1821-scaled.jpg

IMG_1817-scaled.jpg

IMG_1819-scaled.jpg

IMG_1818-scaled.jpg

IMG_1824-scaled.jpg

images (4).jpeg

Sounds good.
Glad to hear that you have sourced what you need.
On a tangent... might be worth looking at a memory foam topper instead of an air mattress. Really comfy. We have a 2.5cm one. Rolls up pretty small. Also come thicker.

Sounds good.
Glad to hear that you have sourced what you need.
On a tangent... might be worth looking at a memory foam topper instead of an air mattress. Really comfy. We have a 2.5cm one. Rolls up pretty small. Also come thicker.
Thanks Fax I'll check them out.. I normally sleep on a thin foam roll pad when I camp so this is gonna be like luxury

Reactions: Bav
Hi All,

First off thank you for this forum, I am brand new and so far everyone has been so helpful and I've gotten some great inspo from the posts and feedback to my questions.

Soo after few months of searching I've finally taken the plunge and purchased a VW T6.. a T30 TDI P/V STARTLINE BMT to be exact.

There were a few specs I was adamant I wanted.. I wanted panel van in pure grey, it had to have a tailgate not barn doors, and have pilot chairs not the bench seat.

I was lucky enough to find the right spec with A/C, twin sliding doors and already fitted with security locks..

My intention internally is to convert into a stealth camper for camping, hiking and fishing trips. I've asked the pros at Combe valley campers for a quote for leisure battery, sound deadening, insulation and carpeting.. and asked a company called van fit solutions up in Middlesbrough who build bespoke van drawer systems to quote for a false floor and drawers made from marine grade hexa ply.

The plan externally is for a utilitarian swamper style.. I'll probably get some at3 or at4 tyres and abs wheel arches and side mouldings and mud flaps.. possibly front and side nudge bars for the aggressive look. And when money permits I'd like a flat dog roof rack and ARB side awning.

Cheers all,
AaronView attachment 236385View attachment 236386
Looking forward to seeing how your build goes as it’s what I’m looking to do.

Hi All,

Cheers all,
AaronView attachment 236385View attachment 236386
Looks great mate, and look forward to seeing what you do with it..

So I actually bought some wheels and tyres a little while back (before I had the van) because they were going cheap and looked to be exactly what I wanted.. but after joining this forum and doing some research I think maybe they are too big .

They alloys are 17" and tyres are 245/45/17.

1000026963.png

I've learned now this size wheel/tyre will effect the Speedo, the acceleration, the ride height/comfort, and probably rub the wheel arches. Im not sure if how bad but it's scared me enough to think about selling them and getting a smaller set maybe 235/35/17.

That being said I'm gonna fit them today in the name of science and pretend to own a monster truck.

I'll post how they look shortly.

Cheers,
Aaron

1000027749.jpgNot the greatest photo but I really like them, completely the look I'm going for.

The tyres fill the arches entirely, it's very close to the rear of the arches. I haven't noticed any rubbing on full lock yet but it empty so still have to check when it's laden.

Actually noticed a hole in CV boot when fitting so another job on the cards.

let me know what you think, do they look silly being so big?

cheers,
Aaron

Congratulations on your recent purchase mate. Welcome to the bottomless money pit of the T6 lifestyle... You're gonna LOVE IT
Thanks Deviant, I've already eaten through my budget now with insurance taking a lions share. Currently rummaging around in the garage for things to sell to buy some T6 logo floor mats.
I can definitely see this life choice being the ruin of me.

Thanks Deviant, I've already eaten through my budget now with insurance taking a lions share. Currently rummaging around in the garage for things to sell to buy some T6 logo floor mats.
I can definitely see this life choice being the ruin of me.
Do you really need 2 kidneys? :whistle:

View attachment 236821Not the greatest photo but I really like them, completely the look I'm going for.

The tyres fill the arches entirely, it's very close to the rear of the arches. I haven't noticed any rubbing on full lock yet but it empty so still have to check when it's laden.

Actually noticed a hole in CV boot when fitting so another job on the cards.

let me know what you think, do they look silly being so big?

cheers,
Aaron
I reckon if you go for the mouldings you mentioned then it will look better.

I reckon if you go for the mouldings you mentioned then it will look better.
I really do too!! I bought a set from RGM 2 weeks ago but I think they are still being manufactured so I'm just gonna impatiently wait.. I also got some Chinese made dub style mudflaps and they actually fit like a dream but I'm going to wait for the arches and side moulds to go on to make sure there's no conflict.

Reactions: CAB
Back