Help a novice - thoughts on this van?

kclarsen

Hi all!

So it appears I now have three children, two in car seats, and the 213 CRV can hardly fit everyone in normally, let alone for camping etc. So I'm thinking of a VW.

I'm drawn to the lwb options despite the slight faff of parking in the city for the extra boot space for holidays. Any thoughts on this generally? I have once upon a time driven a double decker bus round the city and it's actually shorter than the CRV with a 4 bike rack on the back.

What else should I be aware of/ thinking about?

Thinking of going to take a look at this:

Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale

Any big red flags?

Thanks so much!

Looks good. no red flags aesthetically. As someone who has been trawling autotrader for years for a van I have the below

The good

Dealership has great reviews
Mileage is good
bodywork looks good
Twin slider is great for kids.
You got three isofix so that's good
single front seats is good for getting into the back to get to the sprogs
It has the stereo upgrade from standard

The bad

no air con
no cruise control
no multi function steering wheel

Not sure

It's cheaper than I'd expect - timing belt and water pump may be due?
classed as minibus so maybe be a little more to insure... I could be wrong
Tailgate is great for shelter and the symmetry however not very utilitarian where kids are concerned I prefer barn doors for easier access in tight spaces.
Definitely chase an extended warranty.

If you're not in a crazy rush I'd personally prioritize air con and CC.

EDIT - Avoid Bi Turbo if it's over a certain age
- Automatics are good but if there is no oil change history over 60k miles I'd avoid

Good luck with your search and keep sending potentials for scrutiny hehe - EXCITINGGGGGG!!!

Last edited:
Looks good. no red flags aesthetically. As someone who has been trawling autotrader for years for a van I have the below

The good

Dealership has great reviews
Mileage is good
bodywork looks good
Twin slider is great for kids.
You got three isofix so that's good
single front seats is good for getting into the back to get to the sprogs
It has the stereo upgrade from standard

The bad

no air con
no cruise control
no multi function steering wheel

Not sure

It's cheaper than I'd expect - timing belt and water pump may be due?
classed as minibus so maybe be a little more to insure... I could be wrong
Tailgate is great for shelter and the symmetry however not very utilitarian where kids are concerned I prefer barn doors for easier access in tight spaces.
Definitely chase an extended warranty.

If you're not in a crazy rush I'd personally prioritize air con and CC.

Good luck with your search and keep sending potentials for scrutiny hehe - EXCITINGGGGGG!!!
It is exciting!

I hadn't noticed the lack of air con...that's a deal breaker. I haven't done this for a long time...last car was 7 years old and was bought from my father in law so I knew it inside out (and was in such good nick the honda garage he was buying his new one from threw in a three year approved warranty for the one he was selling to us...)

Anyway, I'll stretch the budget a bit and keep looking!

Well that’s a lot better. Aircon. Full VWSH. DSG. Low miles.
What’s not to like?
Imho just needs a nice set of alloys.

Looks alright to me. Shuttles can be a pain to put a pop top in is all I can offer so if that's not on the cards I'd say you need a test drive - green light from me

Looks alright to me. Shuttles can be a pain to put a pop top in is all I can offer so if that's not on the cards I'd say you need a test drive - green light from me
Thanks, any specific things for these it's worth looking for on a test drive and inspection beyond the usual?

Back