Help please! Blocked DPF issues.

That's a much more likely (and obvious!) interpretation - does that fit with how you use the van?
That probably ties in with when I stopped using it as my daily commuter.

I’m going to remove the dpf again and complete a longer soak with the Wynns dpf cleaner.
My only question still is why the fault code reappears immediately after clearing whilst just the ignition is on. It surely needs pressure in the exhaust to read soot levels whilst the engine is running.

Depends which measurement is being used. AFAIK the main measurement used is actually a synthetic estimate based on engine conditions, it gets corrected against actual measurements as and when those are available.

I see both in a VAG-DPF, apologies I don't know the source counters in the live data.

This is why there is the option to force a regen and override the estimate.

Mine was so blocked it pretty much regenned continuously and it never came up with error messages like yours?!

My only question still is why the fault code reappears immediately after clearing whilst just the ignition is on.
The ECU is a kind of "locked" because of safe DPF regeneration soot limit has been passed.
Adapting ash mass to zero in the ECU should allow to clear the 23902 fault and then perform a forced regen. However, I don't think Carista can do that.
To release the locking of the ECU you need adapt DPF learnt values - that is to adapt DPF ash mass to zero and then clear the fault. I'm afraid Carista won't do it.
E.g. VCDS probably would pay for itself just by doing this alone.

Quick update, reading other related threads, I have hopefully solved the issue of why the engine wasn’t performing regens to initially block the dpf. I’ve had a glow plug issue that I thought was the wiring loom fault that others seem to have, but after having replaced the three glow plugs (not sensor one) that fault code has cleared.
I’ve also installed blanking plates across the egr whilst I had good access. Will keep anyone interested updated on how the egr blank affects the running.
I’ve also had the dpf off again and left it to soak over night in the Wynns off the car dpf cleaner and given it a good power hose through. I’m not totally convinced by the flow of water through the exhaust whilst cleaning though.
Just awaiting arrival of the vcds now to reset the spot values to force a regen to hopefully get the van out of limp mode and running properly.

Quick update, reading other related threads, I have hopefully solved the issue of why the engine wasn’t performing regens to initially block the dpf. I’ve had a glow plug issue that I thought was the wiring loom fault that others seem to have, but after having replaced the three glow plugs (not sensor one) that fault code has cleared.
I’ve also installed blanking plates across the egr whilst I had good access. Will keep anyone interested updated on how the egr blank affects the running.
I’ve also had the dpf off again and left it to soak over night in the Wynns off the car dpf cleaner and given it a good power hose through. I’m not totally convinced by the flow of water through the exhaust whilst cleaning though.
Just awaiting arrival of the vcds now to reset the spot values to force a regen to hopefully get the van out of limp mode and running properly.

I’m watching this closely, I to am thinking of blanking off and mapping out the egr, before all the problems. My engine has 16,000 miles, so I’d hope by , sorting out the known issues before they start, it my last a while

Keep us posted

Back