Help with my sisters T5

TheGrapeEscape

@The.Grape.Escape.T6 Instagram
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All,

I was wondering if I can pick someone's brains on a problem my sister is having.

She bought a 2004 T5 1.9 last year, and has just completed a full camper renovation on it. At the start of this year, she had suspected he'd gasket failure. She took it to a local garage and spent £2,419 on the following work

• Cylinder head gasket
• Cam belt and water pump
• Oil and filter change
• Head bolt set
• Cylinder head skim and repairs
• Bolts, wiring loom, gaskets, camshaft shells
• Flange

In the last two weeks, on the way to Devon from The Midlands, she noticed the temp rising, but only when she goes over 70mph. As soon as she drops below 70, the temp goes to 90 and runs perfect. The heaters blow cold, but warm when she accelerates.

I'm no mechanic, but feel its an airlock somewhere.

She's took it back to the garage who done the work, who have told her politely to go away, even though the fault has happened in warranty and only been done 6 months ago.

Any ideas?

I would send a formal letter to them stating what they have done, saying there is a problem and ask them to look at it again. Then state that your solicitors (Name any solicitors in your town) will be contacting them within two weeks if you don't hear from them. You can also say that Trading Standards are also involved. I hope it gets sorted, you are a good brother :)

I would send a formal letter to them stating what they have done, saying there is a problem and ask them to look at it again. Then state that your solicitors (Name any solicitors in your town) will be contacting them within two weeks if you don't hear from them. You can also say that Trading Standards are also involved. I hope it gets sorted, you are a good brother :)
Thank You. Yeah that's the exact route we've gone down. She's gutted, spending that amount for it to be broken after. It only went in for a cambelt and water pump originally, but the garage told her she needed head gasket and extras. Worrying, she listened to them and had it done.

The garage replied at first saying the mechanic and manager have been sacked, so they can't warrant her repair as they don't work there. Ridiculous really, as the warranty is with the garage, not the individual mechanic

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Thank You. Yeah that's the exact route we've gone down. She's gutted, spending that amount for it to be broken after. It only went in for a cambelt and water pump originally, but the garage told her she needed head gasket and extras. Worrying, she listened to them and had it done.

The garage replied at first saying the mechanic and manager have been sacked, so they can't warrant her repair as they don't work there. Ridiculous really, as the warranty is with the garage, not the individual mechanic
They’ve just shot themselves in the foot! You’re absolutely right, the warranty is with the business not the individual who did the work! I hope she paid by credit card - that would help her recoup some monies. Either way, the business now has to put this right or subsidise her having another garage putting it right.

They’ve just shot themselves in the foot! You’re absolutely right, the warranty is with the business not the individual who did the work! I hope she paid by credit card - that would help her recoup some monies. Either way, the business now has to put this right or subsidise her having another garage putting it right.
I've told her she's already won, but she's got to start the legal process now. I genuinely think they've quoted her for bits and not done the work as they seen her as a clueless woman. Hopefully I'm wrong and they've fitted the parts and it's just something silly. Deep down I'm thinking they've skipped the water pump and charged her for it.

Having just started the process for a Credit Card refund for a failed Carpetright transaction, its not as easy as I suspected. My bank wants me to jump through hoops with a duster up my arse !!

Having just started the process for a Credit Card refund for a failed Carpetright transaction, its not as easy as I suspected. My bank wants me to jump through hoops with a duster up my arse !!
I've found this myself, its never a straight process.

I've told her she's already won, but she's got to start the legal process now. I genuinely think they've quoted her for bits and not done the work as they seen her as a clueless woman. Hopefully I'm wrong and they've fitted the parts and it's just something silly. Deep down I'm thinking they've skipped the water pump and charged her for it.
It is bit of a slog, but she has won! The only option available to the garage is to dissolve - get a claim in against them before they do.

Yes exactly, the garage is liable, not the mechanics, they should have a look at the camper again if they value their reputation. My cambelt and water pump were changed before I took possession of my van, but nothing else was done, sometimes I wonder if they see a woman coming and try it on (I've had that before) I wish you luck

Yes exactly, the garage is liable, not the mechanics, they should have a look at the camper again if they value their reputation. My cambelt and water pump were changed before I took possession of my van, but nothing else was done, sometimes I wonder if they see a woman coming and try it on (I've had that before) I wish you luck
And tell them that you are going to also pursue them for all the costs of the case.......that'll wake them up a bit :mad:

Back