Hi from London

Jonboy53

Hi there,
Just joined the forum and looking for some advice as we're planning on getting a camper this year and there are just loads of options. I think we may use it as our daily drive so we can add to the kitty by selling our current car. We have a small child and a dog so looking for something with enough seats to accommodate everyone and enough space to be able to fit in bikes etc. when just running around. I was thinking of a LWB T6 with sliding rear seats so we can make the most of the space. It has to be Euro 6 compliant too as we live in the London area and the emissions zone is set to be expanded soon. I'm looking to use it for family holidays as well as it being our daily drive but as we have a great tent and camping set up I'm not too desperate for a pop top bed - although the extra height would be nice! Our question really is whether to buy a van and convert it or to go for an already converted / factory version? I know that if we did convert we could get the exact layout that would suit us best, but looking through threads this seems to be something that can end up as expensive if not more so to do. Plus there's the decision of which base van to start with (Kombi, Caravelle and so on).
Any tips welcome!

Welcome, we have just made our choice and have a very similar family set up to you. We had a few pre-conceived ideas, LWB with sliding seats, but have gone with SWB fixed RIB bed and pop top for the little one because it suited our needs and makes the van easier around the tight car parks and schools my wife visits. We have friends with again similar family set up but they have gone with the LWB and sliding seat as it is what suited them so the best advice I can give is to visit dealers/converters and see things for yourself to see what suits you. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Would be worth you hiring one and going away for a few days, you'd get a better idea of what does and doesn't work for you without any expensive mistakes! Good luck finding what you want.

As @andys says.... best to hire a van first to see your options.
LWB which we have, gives you lots of options: more room to slide bed back and for, so more storage options.
We had a kitchen fitted into the rear of van with tailgate so very convenient access etc.
We started with a base van - T6 panel van highline with a few extras fitted.

Would be worth you hiring one and going away for a few days, you'd get a better idea of what does and doesn't work for you without any expensive mistakes! Good luck finding what you want.
Great advice, we did this before deciding a camper was the future for us.

Hi,

I think I know this car! At least I see one with a similar dent in the neighborhood. Nevern?

Cheers

Last edited:
Awesome...

Id suggest you start your own build thread and start documenting your conversation.

Start posting pics.

More info here....

Just saying "hello!" My name's Tony and I drive a 2016 Autosleeper Topaz. Must confess to paying more for it than I wanted as it had to be Euro6 to comply with the Greater London ULEZ. I'm getting long in the tooth so it's probably the only van I'll have which is a pity because after 6 months and 4 trips away I can already see drawbacks and advantages in other vans I've seen. Oh well! Gotta question about batteries so I better look for the relevant part of the forum. See some of you on the road I expect.

Just saying "hello!" My name's Tony and I drive a 2016 Autosleeper Topaz. Must confess to paying more for it than I wanted as it had to be Euro6 to comply with the Greater London ULEZ. I'm getting long in the tooth so it's probably the only van I'll have which is a pity because after 6 months and 4 trips away I can already see drawbacks and advantages in other vans I've seen. Oh well! Gotta question about batteries so I better look for the relevant part of the forum. See some of you on the road I expect.
Oooh, pics please!

Seen lots of older Topaz's on the road and at sites, would be good to see a modern one.

And welcome to the forum!

Hello hello!

Just upgraded from a 17 plate berlingo to a T32 Kombi due to a kiddo on the way and still requiring a work vehicle.
So far loving it.

One thing I miss mind is that the berlingo had a way to check it was locked with the fob by pressing lock key 3 times and it would flash hazards 10 times - think it was a way to find your car in a car park…

I’ve looked through forums but can’t seem to see if it’s been discussed at all / if this is even a feature on the transporter?

Would be great to know either way as I load / unload a LOT on jobs, and is super handy to check vehicle is locked without having to go test handles etc

Thanks in advance,
I checked manual but couldn’t find anything

Back