How do you mark your campsite pitch if you need to leave site in van?

Wandering Pumpkin

We are planning a few nights away in our campervan at a campsite but during the day want to leave site and drive the van places. How do you mark/reserve your pitch so no one else takes it? We don't have a drive away awning to leave behind, do people just leave out chairs etc and hope no one steals them?

We are planning a few nights away in our campervan at a campsite but during the day want to leave site and drive the van places. How do you mark/reserve your pitch so no one else takes it? We don't have a drive away awning to leave behind, do people just leave out chairs etc and hope no one steals them?
We leave chairs, table, gas bbq, leveling chocks, all sorts of junk, never had anything taken in 15 years of camping.

My nephew got myself and MrsRT personalised T6 tin mugs by this artist (which are great) but they also do a sign for this purpose

We stayed a night at a slightly dodgy site near swanage and saw an old couple carrying all sorts of stuff from one side of the site to the other, tables, chairs, boxes etc. Turned out the site had given someone else their pitch while they were out and even though it was covered in stuff they just moved it all to the side and parked up!

Coming away with our 17 year old daughter the plan was for her to stay in the 4 man teepee tent leaving the wife and I to the van. Sadly baby daughter has discovered that since I made an extension to the bedboard, she is now more than comfortable in the poptop, so the tent is just filled with our unnecessary gear, but useful for reserving our 'spot'. Following forum rules the bedboard extension has now doubled up as a useful card table. Result. For who I'm not sure...

We always have a pop up tent with us full of stuff and that stays on the pitch. As it’s usually to one side of the space, I also have an old rear number plate fixed to a long tent peg bashed into the ground.

Has anyone ever been charged for having the shed tent on the pitch? I'm tempted by this idea

Reactions: CAB
My nephew got myself and MrsRT personalised T6 tin mugs by this artist (which are great) but they also do a sign for this purpose

love the look of these, but get the impression that the ALU legs will bend when being hammered into sun baked hard ground? - suppose a separate short pole and a cable tie would work.

A cheap windbreak like you would use on the beach.

We have Van reserve sign we picked up at Volkfest, In the past we have used Windbreaks and Toilet tent.

Has anyone ever been charged for having the shed tent on the pitch? I'm tempted by this idea
We use one (a Decathlon Air Seconds 2 person pop up with relatively small footprint) and, no, we've never been charged. We tend not to book in advance very often but on a couple of occasions that we have, the on-line booking system has mentioned a 'pup tent' (or similar) at extra cost. I've always ticked the 'No' box and never been pulled up but if somebody was actually sleeping in the tent I might give a different answer!

Back