I’ve messed up - Inverter Install

So far on week 1 of my three week trip, I've used my gas 2 burner hob... once. Every day I've just been using my single Vango sizzle induction hob, it's easier to get out, doesn't take up much room, the heat is easier to control.
Interesting, inside the van only, or how do you power it outside the van?

Interesting, inside the van only, or how do you power it outside the van?
Both, the cable is plenty long to reach to a table outside the van, next to the sliding door. My inverter is under my passenger seat so next to the door too.

So far on week 1 of my three week trip, I've used my gas 2 burner hob... once. Every day I've just been using my single Vango sizzle induction hob, it's easier to get out, doesn't take up much room, the heat is easier to control.
Is that on EHU or inverter?

Is that on EHU or inverter?
Inverter - although after 2 nights of cooking on induction and with not much solar I was down to 50% SOC and had EHU that I could use so stuck the van on charge for a day.

But with a 230Ah battery I still had over 100Ah left.

Reactions: CAB
Inverter - although after 2 nights of cooking on induction and with not much solar I was down to 50% SOC and had EHU that I could use so stuck the van on charge for a day.

But with a 230Ah battery I still had over 100Ah left.
So as a short term solution it’s viable as long as you have a relatively mahoosive lithium reserve. But after a couple of days without sunshine, you’re dependent on either running the engine or EHU.

So as a short term solution it’s viable as long as you have a relatively mahoosive lithium reserve. But after a couple of days without sunshine, you’re dependent on either running the engine or EHU.
With semi-decent solar you'd be fine for quite a few days - I was just in a shaded spot and had a couple of cloudy days.

I cooked tonight for 40 minutes, using 25Ah of battery. My total usage, inc cooking, fridge, charging stuff etc has been around 80Ah per day the last few days. So, obviously with little to no solar you're going to deplete even a 230Ah battery in 2-3 days. But, I've had days where I've had 65Ah of solar, so almost the same as my usage.

If I didn't have EHU on that day I would have just used gas for a day.

But, yes - if you want to last more than a few days off grid using induction, you're going to need a solid charge going back in to replenish what you use.

Maybe it’s time to look at table top storage/relocation to get the inverter on the end of the units.. Tailgate? Pop top bed board?
Rear of passenger seat? Complete table top redesign?
Got my Renogy 2kw inverter on the side of the fridge housing straight behind the drivers seat so literally 50cm of 4 gauge in parallel from the underseat Roamer to the Renogy.
Table top needs to find a new home as you don't want long runs of cable at 200 odd Amps.

Back