Is a sink really worth having?

Im loving the multi use sink ideas on this thread! 12v Slow Cooker, who knew :eek:

I use mine with a small plastic bowl in the winter. In the summer I generally just use the bowl in the awning except for 1st thing when I make my coffee.

Same here. Our gas kettle & tea mugs live in the sink, so the space isn’t wasted. Also when we’re skiing, we defrost our frozen meals in the sink during the day whilst we’re out skiing.
I use my van a lot skiing. I put my cups etc in the sink as well but since I bought a jackery my 900W kettle is mainly in use. Hardly used my gas kettle all year but when I do it does help to warm up the van.

Reactions: CAB
We put the 12volt slow cooker in the sink whilst driving all day and have a nice tea ready. We do use the sink and would not be without it.
Brilliant never knew there was such a thing.

this was a game changer for me on my skiing and to Skye. Arrived with a serious stews and a curry. Just plugged into my Jackery but the slow cooker sounds a no-brainer for my 300w Victron inverter.

My
I use my van a lot skiing. I put my cups etc in the sink as well but since I bought a jackery my 900W kettle is mainly in use. Hardly used my gas kettle all year but when I do it does help to warm up the van.
Skiing food
In preparation for our annual 3-4week skiing trip, we start preparing homemade ready meals around October ish. If we make a curry/chilli/cassoulet etc, we make extra portions. We then vac-pac the surplus in 2 portion sizes & lay them flat in the freezer. We make up around 14-20 of these. When it comes to the trip, we just pack all the frozen meals into an ordinary cool box & stick it in the back of the van. When in resort, we just leave the cool box outside in the (hopefully) sub zero temperatures.
When we’re skiing, we take out the meal de jour & leave it in the van sink to defrost. In the evening, just place the bag in a pan of simmering water whilst you get showered etc, then put the rice/pasta/frozen veg in the same pan et voila! A hot meal & no smell/prep & only one pan to wash. If you’re not fussy, you can also use the hot water for the washing up.
Bonne appetite!

• Filling kettle
  • Defrosting that night's dinner, either complete or just the meat / fish (a la @Salty Spuds )
  • Draining teapot
  • Draining pasta, rice
  • Tipping water from quick washing-up (mornings usually)
  • Cleaning teeth
  • Tipping water from quick morning wash
All depends on how you camp I suppose.

We borrowed my brother's 'part-conversion' before we bought ours, he had a sink but not plumbed in, it annoyed us all week!

We do use our sink to wash up and drain vegetables, pasta etc. I was just stating that the alternative, if you don't have one is a bowl.

Just don't get me started on gas grills...
Apologies - I didn't mean to imply that you weren't using your sink, just that you'd suggested using a bowl instead of a sink. :thumbsup:

• Filling kettle
  • Defrosting that night's dinner, either complete or just the meat / fish (a la @Salty Spuds )
  • Draining teapot
  • Draining pasta, rice
  • Tipping water from quick washing-up (mornings usually)
  • Cleaning teeth
  • Tipping water from quick morning wash
All depends on how you camp I suppose.

We borrowed my brother's 'part-conversion' before we bought ours, he had a sink but not plumbed in, it annoyed us all week!
Hmmm, the cleaning of teeth is one I hadn't thought about with my setup. The only access to cold water for me will be in the rear, with the tailgate open - fine in the warmer months, but not ideal when it's cold.

Reactions: CAB
12V slow Cooker? Genius!!
Please note it takes loads of time, and over fill it and nothing gets cooked. We bought ours in 2011 and learnt to 1/2 fill or 3/4 and help it by using boiling water before setting off on the road. It also sits in a metal bowl in case of spills. As 12volt is running throughout the trip, why not use it....... Drives the cat mad as the smell makes you so hungry.....

Video Review

We have looked at Mick's cooker, but so far it does the job and is only used once or twice a week whilst away

Last edited:
We have never used our sink (Smev/Dometic 9722) for anything other than a place to store a small washing up bowl, scourers, cloths, washing up liquid, rubber gloves and tea towels (but it does do that job very well indeed!). I have also pulled the fuse on the tap pump so that it doesn't get switched on in error (and maybe burn out!) - at some point, I'm probably going to remove the tap completely and blank off the hole and it can always go back if we decide to sell the van. FWIW, the water source as supplied with the van was a 12L jerry type container feeding the pumped tap and that's been removed as well thus freeing up more space.

My

Skiing food
In preparation for our annual 3-4week skiing trip, we start preparing homemade ready meals around October ish. If we make a curry/chilli/cassoulet etc, we make extra portions. We then vac-pac the surplus in 2 portion sizes & lay them flat in the freezer. We make up around 14-20 of these. When it comes to the trip, we just pack all the frozen meals into an ordinary cool box & stick it in the back of the van. When in resort, we just leave the cool box outside in the (hopefully) sub zero temperatures.
When we’re skiing, we take out the meal de jour & leave it in the van sink to defrost. In the evening, just place the bag in a pan of simmering water whilst you get showered etc, then put the rice/pasta/frozen veg in the same pan et voila! A hot meal & no smell/prep & only one pan to wash. If you’re not fussy, you can also use the hot water for the washing up.
Bonne appetite!
Do you sleep in the van? I do about 50% of the time. I usually take 2 days to get were I am going and stop off overnight at somewhere recommended by search for sites.

I'm not at all convinced by the "a sink is a good place to store things" argument. Sure, if you've got an unused sink, using it for storage is better than ignoring it, but if you're starting out with a clean slate, as per the OP, then having an extra draw (where the sink would have been) is a far better storage solution (plus it allows for a bigger/better/uninterrupted worksurface)... in my humble opinion.

This guy shows some of his clever innovations in this video, incl minimal footprint sink:
That is so cool. He even has a connected she wee FFS so I presume that goes into his 5L grey tank.! The removal sink and grey water when not camping is also clever. But an Grey water overflow with an alarm is a bit over the top given he built a light into the unit which also shows the water level. The euro box idea also works well. The dashcam mirror self made filter to stop the reflection is genius though. He must be using a 3d printer.

That is so cool. He even has a connected she wee FFS so I presume that goes into his 5L grey tank.! The removal sink and grey water when not camping is also clever. But an Grey water overflow with an alarm is a bit over the top given he built a light into the unit which also shows the water level. The euro box idea also works well. The dashcam mirror self made filter to stop the reflection is genius though. He must be using a 3d printer.
I was thinking instead of having that alarm he could connect the sensor to a relay and prevent the tap from turning on until the tank is emptied. And similar concept turn light red or something similar to remind not to use grey water.

I was thinking instead of having that alarm he could connect the sensor to a relay and prevent the tap from turning on until the tank is emptied. And similar concept turn light red or something similar to remind not to use grey water.
That would work. My Hymer motorhome has something similar. If you switched on the water, the grey waste was almost full you got a both a flashing light and audible alarm. I also got the same when the water was down to it’s last 10L.

Do you sleep in the van? I do about 50% of the time. I usually take 2 days to get were I am going and stop off overnight at somewhere recommended by search for sites.
We only ever sleep in the van. Just come back after 3 & a half weeks.

Back