Is it worth spending a lot on mods?

TheGrapeEscape

@The.Grape.Escape.T6 Instagram
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All,

I'm curious here. I've got a 66 plate T6 Highline with 90k miles on. Since my ownership in April, I've spent almost 6k on mods, and if my bank balance allowed, could easily spend another 15k I reckon, with pop top, kitchen and airbag suspension to name a few things that tickle my fancy.

Thing is, is it worth it? The Mrs goes nuts when I buy stuff for it, mainly because I've now resorted to having parcels delivered to my dad's and fit them when I pop round his

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Ideally, I'd love a newer T6.1, but also know I'd have to rob a bank to be able to afford one, but im getting to that stage where I'm thinking "is it worth spending all this money on a currently 7 year old van?"

I know you never get the money back what you put in, but I also know I've wanted one for 10 years, and now that I have, I'm like a kid in a sweetshop on parts pages.

Opinions?

It's the inevitable:- what's it worth to you?!

Some people would have a minor meltdown at spending £10 on 'pimping-their-ride'

Others buy a car for £30k, then spend another £20k on making it just right for them.

As long as you're happy, those around you are happy (difficult one....), you spend within your means, then do what you are comfortable with.

I never want to sell it, but know at some point I'll have too. I think I'm just being stubborn cause I've wanted one so long and don't currently have children

This van is my child

I would look at the bigger picture... Add to it what you need for use as a family. Avoid unnecessary things like air suspension - I was going for it but stopped when it came time to hit the button and glad I did, Have found it unnecessary. A pop-top however is a must have as a camper... also the electrics - 3 way charging and ability to run a microwave, as an example, are good things...

just prioritise but also add what SWMBO will benefit from! And no, @moomin-j that isn't a new Steering wheel! ;)

Sorry to be a party pooper, but before spending another penny on cosmetic parts please spend some time, effort and a bit of dosh checking that the engine and main mechanical parts are solid and won't hit you with a big unexpected bill in the near future.
Mainly compression test, turbo condition, EGR, DPF, etc etc.
I had mine checked over at Retro Resus and found low compression, gutted :(
2016 CXEB 204 BiTd DSG 80,000 miles.
Like you I had already spent a few quid on making the van nicer and usable for day van stop overs.
Now I have to decide on a possible big bill to correct engine problems. :cry::cry:

If you're doing it to make a profit on the eventual sale of the van then almost certainly not.

If you're doing it because it makes you happy then that's a different matter.

For me the threshold comes for expensive work Vs the length of time you'll gain benefit from it. If you get £6K of work done but think you're only likely to have the van for 2 years, ask yourself if it's worth £3k a year.

That works both ways though. I don't really need a second battery in the Caravelle, but I keep wondering about it. It's not totally frivolous as it would be used but I've been pontificating about for 2 years now after nearly paying someone to put one in at purchase, so the cost benefit is rising.

So if it's something you really want, just get it done and enjoy it for longer :thumbsup:

I
My current list of mods I want are

Awning + rail
Victron ip65 charger
Full length kitchen
Pop top (if awning not adequate)
have a sink and a induction hob. I rarely use the sink and have never used the induction hob. What I use all the time are the underslung gas tank for my cadac and my microwave... cabinetry for storage and for hiding electrics is useful...

Caveat, This is purely my personal opinion. There are "Mods (essential)" and there are "mods (bling)". Essential mods, are really things that you need to do to the van to make it work for you, kitchen, poptop, bed etc. Mods (bling) are the Gucci wheels, spoilers, extreme suspension etc. We spent a fortune on essential mods, because we wanted a camper, and a van isn't a camper unless it has a bed, kitchen, poptop, heater etc. Bling mods spend was minimal, we're still on Devonports, as I can't see anything wrong with them, they are round & keep the tyres in place. We have side bars, as these were a sweetener from the dealer and that's about it. Personally I don't get the huge wheels, slammed suspension, bolted on plastic bits etc, but each to their own.
There's only so much you can do to a van & spending a fortune "customising" it to make it look like every other "customised" van out there ain't my thing. I see some vans & have the same reaction as when I see young women with huge pumped up duck lips & caterpillar eyelashes "what the f**k were they thinking when they did that?"
Before anyone gets the hump, this is as I said, just my opinion. FWIW

My current list of mods I want are

Awning + rail
Victron ip65 charger
Full length kitchen
Pop top (if awning not adequate)
Personally, I don't consider those as "mods", they are things that you need to do to the van to make it work. My last T5.1 was a work van, I fitted Sortimo racking, Inverter, Microwave, kettle, VanVault etc. These were all tools to turn an empty box, into a vehicle that suited my needs, I didn't consider them as "mods". And they were VAT reclaimable & tax deductible:whistle:

Sorry to be a party pooper, but before spending another penny on cosmetic parts please spend some time, effort and a bit of dosh checking that the engine and main mechanical parts are solid and won't hit you with a big unexpected bill in the near future.
Mainly compression test, turbo condition, EGR, DPF, etc etc.
I had mine checked over at Retro Resus and found low compression, gutted :(
2016 CXEB 204 BiTd DSG 80,000 miles.
Like you I had already spent a few quid on making the van nicer and usable for day van stop overs.
Now I have to decide on a possible big bill to correct engine problems. :cry::cry:
Luckily, I think mine is okay, minus the DMF going at min, booked in next month. I'm 2nd owner from new with full service history.

Years ago I was really into Japanese cars and the JDM scene. I had some parts on a supercharged MX5 that were crazy rare.
I knew that I'd never get my money back but hopefully the next owner would appreciate them - especially if you are a part of a forum (like this).

I like tasteful (like the post above, that subjective) mods. Shows the owner has done their research and cared about their vehicle.

That said, unmodified vehicles are hard to find. Everyone tinkers don't they?

Modding a van won’t make it more valuable. More sellable, possibly.

So long as you can afford the things you buy, and aren’t causing financial issues for yourself or the people that rely on you, I see no harm done.

If having a nice van/car/whatever & spending time making it that way makes you happy, then crack on.

Plenty worse habits & addictions to have in this world mate. That’s what I tell Mrs Plumber.

Right, I’m off over to my Mums for a bit…

Back