Is it worth spending a lot on mods?

When you have upgraded and set it up how you want it you will love it more. That's where the value is. So long as it makes you happy you're a rich man!

You'll sell it for more than what you bought the base vehicle for one day. Then it'll be crafter upgrades winding up your Mrs...

Over the years I must have spent tens of thousands of pounds on modifications/improvements and trinkets for various vehicles - 2x T6s, a Caddy, a Mini JCW, several Mazda MX5s and more motorbikes than I can count in the last decade or so.

You will NEVER get this money back when you sell the vehicle.

Especially if you’re a fool like me who buys and sells stuff all the time :whistle:

When I get a bee in my bonnet, I lose even more money - because I am impatient (and can be lazy) I just sold my van and left the following ‘mods’ on it which realised absolutely zero in additional value at WBAV:

ST-X coilovers
Side bars
Roof bars
Gladden One soeakers
Dashcam mount and hardwire kit
Apple AirTag (genuinely forgot about this being in the van :rolleyes: and have now removed from my account)

But….

Modifying stuff is a hobby and hobbies cost money right? So if it enhances your enjoyment of the vehicle and doesn’t cause any financial concerns it is worth spending money on IMHO.

Idiot signing off.

Agree totally with the feeling that since it's your money you can spend as you see fit! However...

It tickles me ( in a manly way of course) when I see vans for sale that list all the mods that the owner has put in - the "Jock mcTickle carbon side extender that cost me £1500 "or the "ultra rare QuantumEardrumpiercer subwoofer worth OVER £800". In reality, stuff that like would probably put me off a van rather than enhance its saleability. So no mods for me, with the minor exception of a crocheted Highland Coo that sits in the cupholder on the left hand side.

You can always sell the bits on separately, instead of the whole thing, remember there’s always a resell price in the parts you buy!, so it’s not like you pissed it all up the wall, or smoked the money away!!!

:think smile bounce: Over the years I must have spent tens of thousands of pounds on modifications/improvements and trinkets for various vehicles - 2x T6s, a Caddy, a Mini JCW, several Mazda MX5s and more motorbikes than I can count in the last decade or so.

You will NEVER get this money back when you sell the vehicle.

Especially if you’re a fool like me who buys and sells stuff all the time :whistle:

When I get a bee in my bonnet, I lose even more money - because I am impatient (and can be lazy) I just sold my van and left the following ‘mods’ on it which realised absolutely zero in additional value at WBAV:

ST-X coilovers
Side bars
Roof bars
Gladden One soeakers
Dashcam mount and hardwire kit
Apple AirTag (genuinely forgot about this being in the van :rolleyes: and have now removed from my account)

But….

Modifying stuff is a hobby and hobbies cost money right? So if it enhances your enjoyment of the vehicle and doesn’t cause any financial concerns it is worth spending money on IMHO.

Idiot signing off.
you should have said and I would have popped round with my tools and swapped them over to the OEM on my van free of charge for you as a favour...

Agreed that there are 'must haves' and 'nice to haves'. But when walking back towards our van the other day, my wife said "We really must get the wheels and suspension done". It's amazing how quickly things can be promoted from one category to the next! (I think I love her! :laugh:)

Agreed that there are 'must haves' and 'nice to haves'. But when walking back towards our van the other day, my wife said "We really must get the wheels and suspension done". It's amazing how quickly things can be promoted from one category to the next! (I think I love her! :laugh:)
She’s either a keeper, or there’s a pair of shoes & a handbag hidden in the deal.

Wasn't sure whether to post under "wheels & tyres" or "suspension" but decided might as well do it here because it's about modifications of both / either (and is it worth it?)

When we bought our van earlier this year, SWMBO convinced me (quite easily) not only to stretch our budget to buy new, for the warranties and peace of mind etc., but also to forgo niceties like fancy alloy wheels in favour of unmodified but unused. Overall, I'm very pleased with that decision and am quite happy that the van doesn't stand out from the crowd. However....
Purely from an aesthetic point of view, I do think the standard VW 16" Claytons look a bit puny, if only because of the gap between them and the wheel arches. But is this actually due to the suspension? Would changing them for, say 17" or 18" wheels make any difference, or do I need to be thinking about getting the suspension lowered slightly? (I can certainly already see an advantage of getting it under 2.0m overall)
More importantly really, even SWMBconvinced, who doesn't drive, has noticed the rather naff cornering, particularly on roundabouts. Again, my question is, would simply changing the wheels improve this at all, or is it a case of changing the springs / shockers as well / instead?
And of course the ultimate question - how much (minimum) should I be budgeting and is it worth it?! (Or do I just resign myself to the fact that someone wants a new kitchen more than I want new wheels?)

Probably obvious that I know nothing about wheels/tyres/suspension set ups etc., so please be gentle ;)

Oh, and one other thing - do any wheel / suspension mods have to be notified to your insurance company, and can it affect your premium?

I'm no expert, but...

When you change wheel size, the aim (usually) is to maintain the same (or a very similar) outer tyre circumference by also changing the tyre profile (otherwise you get gearing, speedo and odometer issues). So, no, just changing the wheel size won't rectify any arch-gap issues.

Changing wheel size alone won't improve cornering either - in fact, with more unsprung mass and less rubber, the general ride is more likely to deteriorate with larger wheels... unless accompanied by appropriate suspension changes.

Suggest you DM @CRS Performance who will provide the required expert input (and kit!) to answer your questions and help resolve your issues.

EDIT: Yes, tell your insurer if you change the wheels/ suspension.

Changing your wheels to 17 or 18 inch will fill the arch gap a little, but will make the van sit higher. I'd definitely recommend some sort of lowering, but don't go too low as it'll become a harsh ride. Mine is 30mm on 20 inch wheels. I have no kitchen in mine and only a rnr bed. You need to speak with @CRS Performance bout this.

Many thanks. I have trawled through the many threads on this topic, and although it's all a bit bewildering for a newbie, had pretty much come to the same conclusions, but it's good to know I was thinking on the right lines. I will definitely get in touch with the professionals if I decide to take it any further. I guess what I was hoping for was a (very) rough estimate of how much I might be needing to convince someone else to spend on it! I've seen wheel / tyre combinations that I think I would be happy with for close to a grand - but have no idea at all how much lowering the van appropriately would cost.

CRS will be able to provide a range of prices for different solutions and will be able to discuss the pros & cons of each.

Back