I've just fitted a new 'factory style' stereo radio with Apple Play for £200.

Cham13

Hi all, if anybody is interested, I have just fitted a factory style stereo with Apple Play for just £200 and it is spot on.
A friend of mine has been over to China on business and done a deal with a firm out there on these units. I was very skeptical but it is spot on and everything works just as factory standard.
Steering wheel controls, inc. reversing sensors display.
All apps work fine and you also get the split screen when using Google Maps. The sound is great too. I've even managed to keep my sub/amp and its just as it was when I had it rigged up to my original factory head unit.

My T6 is a Dec 15, I'm not sure if anything is different on a later model but I was able to keep the factory wiring loom rather than using a convertor cable.

I plan to do a video and post that. Let me know if anybody needs further info.

You can buy genuine units that people have pulled out of vans for next to nothing and have them unlocked / coded to your van for as little at £100.

I realise thy the security features built into OEM units make it hard to simply plug and play, but most companies that do code upgrades will unlock them, and can add CarPlay etc if it isn’t already available on the unit.

Not knocking these Chinese units as I’m sure they are great, just letting people know that you can upgrade OE ones for very little.

Very interested if it's as good as it sounds. Is the unit DAB too? Would be great to see pictures

This is where i need to ask for
You can buy genuine units that people have pulled out of vans for next to nothing and have them unlocked / coded to your van for as little at £100.

I realise thy the security features built into OEM units make it hard to simply plug and play, but most companies that do code upgrades will unlock them, and can add CarPlay etc if it isn’t already available on the unit.

Not knocking these Chinese units as I’m sure they are great, just letting people know that you can upgrade OE ones for very little.
i think the Oe ones are a bit more sort after now there’s numerous people offering the unlock service

I’ve been looking at a CarPlay replacement for MY17 T6 and from my limited googling this unit looks like the RCD360 Pro or +?

Possible issues to be aware of, could be:
1) no DAB,
2) lose dash USB connection (I think you can get an adaptor to still use for charging?)
3) need aerial adapter - Farka
4) check you have/get a correct connector/adapter harness/block
5) reverse camera adapter - the unit support AV camera not factory RGB
6) You lose radio/phone info in the dash MFD.

advantages:
1) carplay android auto etc
2) park pilot still works.

When replacing the base model in the T6 The additional benefits are:
1) ability to fit reversing camera
2) larger touch screen.

This is my understanding, but would welcome comments/confirmation?!

Have I missed anything or got something wrong?

Hi, is there anyone on here that offers this as a complete service ?
I have a basic T6 unit and regret not sourcing a van with pre installed sat nav

many thanks

These are the same ones Travelin-Lite sell

I've been really pleased with mine, it works brilliantly.
IMG_20200806_121038-01.jpg

I got talking to a lad that had just fitted one of these into a Scirocco to replace his RNS510. He was really chuffed with it for the money.

It had been altered to have a flying USB lead out of the back to make connections to his phone neater. Granted, it doesn't have DAB, but that can be streamed from the phone. Also Nav from Google or others is so much better than factory. You don't get the Nav directions on the DIS, but that's no hardship.

I'm going to get one for my lads Scirocco to replace his RNS510. For that price, you can't really go wrong.

Back