Beddows

Morning all

I recently bought bench seats to put in my panel van. The guy told me he had all the fixings with it. When I've come to start fitting them I've realised there is not brackets for under the van. When I've asked him about them he said "they came out of a factory kombi and the brackets that were removed and in the box were the only one able to be removed". So do the factory kombi not have the reinforcement brackets underneath or are they not able to remove them or do you recon he just never removed them from the van and it's gone back to the customer now?
Any advise much appreciated

Cheers
Chris

Hi,

I’ve just removed the seat brackets from my van and there was nothing to remove under the van. Had to drop the tank and remove the heat shield to undo the nuts though.

I can confirm that my factory kombi has no additional support brackets under the van.

The floor brackets just bolt straight through the floor cross members.

It might be worth checking amongst us to see if factory kombis have different floor cross members to standard panel vans.

On my kombi, the floor cross member has an additional downturned profile on tge outer edge, which I don't remember seeing on vans in threads about fitting kombi seats to panel vans.

C pillars are the same, requires a strengthening plate to carry the seat belt fixing but factory Kombis don’t have the plate as the pillar are made stronger

Reactions: .50
You do need additional brackets. This thread will help you Panel van to Kombi.
I got mine from VW van centre as TPS is trade only
If you are adding 2+1 seats you will need 4 of each of the floor brackets
You won't need to take the exhaust or heat shield off

Hi,

I’ve just removed the seat brackets from my van and there was nothing to remove under the van. Had to drop the tank and remove the heat shield to undo the nuts though.
Hi same as I have rent my rear bench seats dropped tank and exhaust but the only brackets that came off was the ones inside. I do think that there were some sort of plate arounhtthe box section underneath but I think these were wielded in part of the combi frame underneath.
Not sure if this info helps or not. Cheers TC.

they are normally riveted to the frame hence not being removed when people convert

When I’m installing mine I won’t be riveting them in so if I remove the seats the brackets can come back out as well

Yes you do need a support plate/bracket for each bolt(2 bolts per floor mount).
I’ve just removed mine as I’m converting to a camper. The VW originals are a right angle plate fixed to a chassis member either side.
All my stuff is still up for sale including seats, floor mounts and rubber mat.

From what I’ve read / researched, if two fixings are side by side then there is a double width plate for underneath then there are left and right single plates

Genuine VW T5 | T6 Kombi reinforcement plates | brackets set for 2 + 1 rear seat | Genuine VW Parts | Transporter HQ

I can measure / check the bracket spacings on mine as I have a 2&1 on row 2 and a bench in the back. If you go 2/1 I think 2 of the 4 existing brackets will need moving / abandoning.

I also have a 2/1 seats, brackets, floor, seat belts etc for sale (Leicester) - happy to split depending what you need.

Ian

Going rate is 80-90 a set of 4 in the time I’ve been looking at van parts (18 months).

Hi all,

I have already looked through the threads linked to this but do not have a definitive answer so here goes:

Are the reinforcing brackets required when installing the 4 quick release brackets in the 3rd row necessary?

I’ve seen responses mentioning that their factory shuttle does not have them and that with the brackets in place it is difficult to tighten up the nut – I assume the bracket adds thickness and the threads on the quick release bracket are not long enough.

So, does anyone have a concrete response?

Does anyone on here professionally fit 3rd row seats and have a clear idea on this.

I’m on the fence, as I would like to fir the seat but before I begin I would like to have all necessary parts ready.

Thanks in advance.

Keri

Back