kn0bby

T6 Guru
Day One - Collection day..

The van is a 2017 Volkswagen Transporter 2.0 TSI BlueMotion Tech T30 Highline Panel Van DSG 5dr with only 9000 miles on the clock, in Starlight Blue.

Its the perfect base vehicle for my camper/day van.

Its currently in standard form but I will be going back soon to Bognor Motors for some added extras..

Would highly recommend Bognor Motors and Oli, they have been very helpful and attentive.

Bognor Motors of Bognor & Chichester
www.bmvs.co.uk

IMG_9020.jpg

IMG_9024.jpg

IMG_9028.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

IMG_9039.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9041.jpg

IMG_9042.jpg

Last edited:
My van was already ply lined when I picked it up so the first job was to remove the floor. This had been screwed to the van floor.

Under the floor there were some nice surprises for me, the remains of a hay field, engine oil and what looked like chip shop fat!

IMG_9090.jpg

IMG_9092.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

IMG_9098.jpg

IMG_9103.jpg

A good hoover and clean later it was looking much better.

IMG_9104.jpg

As the floor had been drilled into I wanted to ensure these would not rust in the future so I deburred all the holes with a large metal drill put and gave the holes a good clean.

IMG_9129.jpg

IMG_9131.jpg

Next I cleaned the floor with a mentholated spirits solution to degrease.

After this was dry I painted all the holes with hammerite to prevent any future rust.

Once this was dry I filled all the holes and anchor point holes with tiger seal.

IMG_9135.jpg

IMG_9148.jpg

Oooh some bits turned up..

Using the van as a van..

Sound deadening / proofing turned up.. That Silent Coat heavy!

IMG_9138.jpg

Started sound deadening with Silent Coat..

After I'd given the panels all a good clean and degrease it was time to start applying the Silent Coat.

I had no idea how much I would use so I started with two 40 sheet bulk packs as I wanted to do the cabin also.

Link to the product I used before.. Deadening delivery quickly and if you google search Skoda and discount you get a cheeky discount code.

SILENT COAT 2MM MAT BULK
Silent Coat 2mm Mat Bulk

IMG_9199.jpg

IMG_9200.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

The sheets start to disappear quickly in the large open areas.

IMG_9202.jpg

For the wheels arches you will need a roller to make sure its pushed into all the detailed areas.

Not a bad start.

IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_9204.jpg

IMG_9205.jpg

IMG_9206.jpg

IMG_9207.jpg

This takes me back to 13 months ago, almost the same pics as mine .:):)
It's actually really enjoyable to build your own camper / day van. Enjoy it and post lots of pics. :thumbsup:
IMG_20170923_153427.jpg IMG_20170924_122519.jpg IMG_20170916_123251.jpg

Nice. Keep posting I will be a little behind you. I hope to collect me new (to me) Starlight Blue van on Friday. I've already got some of that silent coat (only 1 box - I think I misjudged).
Cant wait to start the conversion.
Not chosen where to get the side windows from yet.

This takes me back to 13 months ago, almost the same pics as mine .:):)
It's actually really enjoyable to build your own camper / day van. Enjoy it and post lots of pics. :thumbsup:

Ha Ha... Cheers.. I am enjoying it so far..

What order did you do your build? When did the pop top come in?

Nice. Keep posting I will be a little behind you. I hope to collect me new (to me) Starlight Blue van on Friday. I've already got some of that silent coat (only 1 box - I think I misjudged).
Cant wait to start the conversion.
Not chosen where to get the side windows from yet.

Good colour!!!

1 box isn't enough.. Well depends how you are going to do it.. If you are going to do it one sheet per panel you should have enough.

I've done two full boxes so far.. Ordered another box of 2mm and a box of 4mm for the cabin.

First insulation layer

With most of Silent Coat installed I started to fit my next layer of sound proofing/thermal insulation.

This is the product I used.. Deadening ship really quick and priced very well. If you google search
BRISKODA you might find a discount code..

DODO THERMO VAN LINER 3M
Dodo Thermo Van Liner 3M

IMG_9218.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg

IMG_9224.jpg

IMG_9211.jpg

IMG_9212.jpg

IMG_9213.jpg

IMG_9215.jpg

IMG_9223.jpg

Removing the bulkhead..

I wanted to get the bulkhead out the first day I had the van to give me the ability to get the driver's seat into a better position but was advised to keep it in until I had started the sound deadening in the back.

By the end of this week, I should be able to get the floor soundproofed and ply back down. I should be able to live with the noise.

Kiravans have a great how-to guide on how to get it out.

Kiravans Bulkhead Removal VW T5 T6

Started by undoing all the nuts.

IMG_9229.jpg

Then removed the trim from the driver's cabin. To remove the bolts here.

IMG_9230.jpg

IMG_9231.jpg
Top part out.

IMG_9232.jpg

IMG_9233.jpg

IMG_9234.jpg

Already feels bigger!!

IMG_9235.jpg

Passenger bench out next.. The bolts had been done up so tight, was good fun getting them undone.

IMG_9236.jpg

IMG_9237.jpg

IMG_9238.jpg

Pulled off the trim

IMG_9239.jpg

Side bulkhead fixings removed, these just bolt on.

IMG_9240.jpg

Drivers seat out, Kiravans video here really helps.. Also having a DSG in park stops the vehicle going anywhere.

IMG_9247.jpg

All tapped up ready to start grinding tomorrow..

IMG_9248.jpg

Ha Ha... Cheers.. I am enjoying it so far..

What order did you do your build? When did the pop top come in?

I stripped out the inside, did all sound deadening, insulation, then a first run of cables and planned lighting in roof edges. This was so I knew where to drill drop cable holes for lights whilst the roof was off.

Then it was cut roof, fit poptop and fit rear window. (I got someone to do those bits!)

Then just tinkered away over the winter months and was all done by Feb. Ready for use all year.

I've now got itchy feet and want to do another for my son. Just got to convince him he wants to fund it.

I stripped out the inside, did all sound deadening, insulation, then a first run of cables and planned lighting in roof edges. This was so I knew where to drill drop cable holes for lights whilst the roof was off.

Then it was cut roof, fit poptop and fit rear window. (I got someone to do those bits!)

Then just tinkered away over the winter months and was all done by Feb. Ready for use all year.

I've now got itchy feet and want to do another for my son. Just got to convince him he wants to fund it.

Think I am going to go the same round.. Just deciding what roof to go for..

Final bit of bulkhead out and floor batons..

Its been a busy day..

With most of the bulkhead out it was time to remove the lower part of the frame thats welded to the chassis.

I used Kiravans approach with an angle grinder but had to twist and pull at the frame as it was difficult to get to some parts with the grinder.

IMG_9251.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg

IMG_9253.jpg

IMG_9254.jpg

Once I had all of the frame removed I cleaned up fixings with a larger disk.

IMG_9255.jpg

IMG_9256.jpg

IMG_9257.jpg

IMG_9258.jpg

IMG_9259.jpg

IMG_9260.jpg

Once cleaned up I was able to treat with a coat of hammerite and put it back together.

IMG_9263.jpg

IMG_9264.jpg

Next up was cutting up the 9mm ply batons.. I didn't go as crazy as some, just some rough parts to offer support to the floor above.

IMG_9269.jpg

IMG_9270.jpg

IMG_9271.jpg

IMG_9272.jpg

IMG_9274.jpg

IMG_9275.jpg

IMG_9276.jpg

All numbered ready to come up.

IMG_9277.jpg

Final clean with a meth solution ready to glue down.

IMG_9281.jpg

Good covering of Tigerseal..

IMG_9282.jpg

Now time to find as much heavy stuff as I can find.

IMG_9283.jpg

IMG_9284.jpg

IMG_9285.jpg

Fingers crossed it will all be stuck down in the morning.

IMG_9286.jpg

IMG_9287.jpg

I busy day.. Next up is Silent Coat between the batons.

More Floor

Got up first thing after gluing down the batons last night to crack on.. Decided it was a bad idea as the batons were still moving as the glue wasn't quite set.

Left it until this evening when it had had 24 hours to dry.

IMG_9294.jpg

More Silent Coat between the batons.

IMG_9295.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

That's enough for tonight..

IMG_9297.jpg

IMG_9298.jpg

IMG_9299.jpg

IMG_9300.jpg

Floor Floor Floor..

Another long day.. Morning and evening shift..

Rest of the silent coat laid.

IMG_9299.jpg

IMG_9300.jpg

IMG_9303.jpg

All done!

IMG_9304.jpg

IMG_9305.jpg

Next was the Tecsound barrier.. This is heavy stuff!

Tecsound Van Flooring sound barrier membrane
Tecsound Van Flooring Barrier - 4M

Used the new ply floor as a template.

IMG_9306.jpg

IMG_9307.jpg

IMG_9308.jpg

Back