Moll Battery.

Vinci

Residential Surveyor
T6 Guru
So, the battery failed on me 4 times, and VW still insist on having their dealers do “tests”.

The last time, I had finished a survey on top of Mendip. Phoned local dealer about my appointment the following day for the tests, and went to start and nothing, with their service department actually on the phone. So, phoned VW Assist and insisted on a VW engineer as opposed to third party, including AA (who had started the van 2 days earlier).

He turned up 2 hours later....blue skies and views to Wales so not too bad a place to be stuck...and new exactly what was what. My van was built in March 17 and was smack in the middle of the dodgy batch it seems.

He fitted a new Varta battery and re did what resets were necessary and hunky dory....but what a faff from VW.

Next van will be a Sprinter, not a VW.

Mines currently failing but the vw dealer wouldn't change it.
Not quite dead enough apparently :-(

Mines currently failing but the vw dealer wouldn't change it.
Not quite dead enough apparently :-(
I'm in the same boat, battery doesnt quite discharge enough. Mine is sluggish when I start it after leaving it over night, and then the bulb warning light comes on, if I take the van for a run and I switch it on again light out until the next day:(

I'm in the same boat, battery doesnt quite discharge enough. Mine is sluggish when I start it after leaving it over night, and then the bulb warning light comes on, if I take the van for a run and I switch it on again light out until the next day:(
Is there a way of assisting the decline of these batteries to get them changed.

The problem dealers have is the process VW force on them.

If you present a vehicle that has battery issues then VW have to charge it (in situ) to check it, if their charger shows an input 10 amps or over (most will as your not taking it there because it fully charged !!) then it has to be left on charge overnight to be tested properly the next day which drags out the whole process, if the dealer doesnt complete this process correctly and record the results then VW will not approve the warranty claim and the dealer doesnt get paid for the new battery they have supplied and fitted

Mine shows 11.1 volts in the mornings with one of those USB plug in's

So, the battery failed on me 4 times, and VW still insist on having their dealers do “tests”.

The last time, I had finished a survey on top of Mendip. Phoned local dealer about my appointment the following day for the tests, and went to start and nothing, with their service department actually on the phone. So, phoned VW Assist and insisted on a VW engineer as opposed to third party, including AA (who had started the van 2 days earlier).

He turned up 2 hours later....blue skies and views to Wales so not too bad a place to be stuck...and new exactly what was what. My van was built in March 17 and was smack in the middle of the dodgy batch it seems.

He fitted a new Varta battery and re did what resets were necessary and hunky dory....but what a faff from VW.

Next van will be a Sprinter, not a VW.
At least if you buy a Sprinter, the battery will last longer than the body:whistle:

Glad it got sorted, any further issues?.
No all good now thanks.

Do recommend to fellow sufferers that if van fails to start, get VW Assist out, they are aware of battery issues.
The AA chap said that had my van been out of warranty, he would have replaced it at the roadside.

Hey folks, thanks so much for all the posts on this site, they have been really useful, but especially these ref battery. I have been away for a few weeks on business and got in my van today at midday for the first time in 3 weeks, and dead as a dodo!!! Gutted, planning on taking the wife away for the weekend as it’s her birthday tomorrow. Thanks to this post it was just a call to VW assist, I’m still valid with them (I had no idea) and they sent someone out straight away although I was in no rush, today at least. Interestingly tested the battery (Moll) and still in limit but said he’ll change it anyway ref the warranty issue as I’ll only be calling again in a couple of weeks. Anyway I don't post on here but I do read a lot and appreciate all of the posts as there is some really useful info so only fair to contribute a little (or very long essay in this case). Thx all
chris

38A9EFC9-11DB-4603-A780-6D83BDED619D.jpeg

Well today my MOLL battery finally died and wouldnt start the van, so stuck on the drive :smile bounce: chuffed to bits.
So a quick call to VW assist and i am offered an AA van in one hour or VW tech tomorrow morning between 7-9, the better option the lady informs me because they will have a spare battery on board. Sat here tonight glass of wine in hand phone rings, VW tech says he lives 5 miles from me can he call round tonight on the way home. No problem i say. End result battery changed no quibble. New EFB Varta fitted.

Top banana:D

Well today my MOLL battery finally died and wouldnt start the van, so stuck on the drive :smile bounce: chuffed to bits.
So a quick call to VW assist and i am offered an AA van in one hour or VW tech tomorrow morning between 7-9, the better option the lady informs me because they will have a spare battery on board. Sat here tonight glass of wine in hand phone rings, VW tech says he lives 5 miles from me can he call round tonight on the way home. No problem i say. End result battery changed no quibble. New EFB Varta fitted.

Top banana:D
Top service from the mobile tech :thumbsup:

OMG GUYS.... Thank you all! - Exactly... I went away for 1 week on business, and im very lucky it started today. I believe I have eaxtly the same problem. MOLL battery needs replacing. It's under warranty, so I'll wait for it to run down and contact Assist.

My 67 plate Moll battery has been sluggish for sometime but managed to start the engine. I had VW assist support on the drive a few months ago and the battery just passed once the van was jumped.
Today while I was out it failed miserably. The AA was swift to arrive and jumped me back into life but didn’t seem to have time to complete a full battery test as the electrics were still ”settling down”
I need to book a major service as the “Inspection“ prompt has triggered so an opportunity to sort. If need be, is there any approach I need to consider to ensure I have it replaced?

Maybe a daft question but would the leisure battery be a able to start in emergencie?

Leave it on your drive on a day your not planning to travel anywhere, turn the lights on full beam, walk away for two hours call the centre, tell them you are stranded. Tell them this is the third time. Ask for a VW agent if possible. They will visit, talk with them and let them know this is the third time and it’s getting progressively worse, and dies if you haven’t used the van for a few days. They will replace it. Sorry if this seems a little naughty, but it’s important that your van is reliable. I have been through this.

Hi all, it appears I have the very same problem as many of you, i purchased my 2018 Danbury Camper T6 on July 1st less than two months ago, since then the stop start has only worked 3 times, however I've had no starting problems but on checking my MOLL battery using a Ring battery tester I only have a reading if 11.8v. Following my attempt to charge the battery the best I have got is 12v only, this I understand is a discharged battery. Having read the members write ups it seems the best action is to allow the battery to fail and call VW assist to get the matter sorted. What I don't understand is a company with the success of VW is allowing a supplier such as MOLL batteries to tarnish its reputation, it appears to me they would gain a lot of asistance with customer satisfaction from reading forums like this and taking action rather than spending vast amounts on advertising. Here's hoping I gain a new battery very soon hopefully a Varta then maybe stop/start system will actually work.

Reactions: CAB
Thanks for all your advice. My friend happened to mention he was having trouble with the battery on his van so based on the threads on here I told him to look to see if it was a Moll battery, it was so he got vw to check and they agreed to change FOC as in warranty.

what a great forum :thumbsup:

Just noticed this thread. I’ve got a March 2017 van with a Moll battery. Starts first time on the turn of the key even when left for a week outside. However, the start/stop only ever lasts for a few seconds even on a long drive with plenty of braking.
Is this a sign that this battery won’t hold a full charge? Still under warranty so if I’m not going to get laughed out of the dealership I’ll go down that route if you guys think this is a battery issue and not normal start/stop behaviour.

Back