NC500 Advice for streaming HD movies/tv off grid in Scotland

The Flying Scotsman

Bugger this I’m off fishing
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I spend a lot of time all over Scotland mainly salmon fishing or on trips away in the camper and almost exclusively off grid.
After doing another 1300 miles this year again in 2 weeks in some of the most beautiful and remote places in Scotland I’ve become aware of how good or bad mobile networks are and learned a trick or 2 on how to get my tv working.
My wife and daughter are on the 3 network and their phones were next to useless 90% of the time.
I’m however on the O2 network. I had service just about everywhere and most of the time a few bars of 4G which is more than enough to stream HD movies on.
This includes just about the whole of Skye and all costal areas right up the far north and north west coasts and around the NC500.
I don’t use a router or have any special equipment just my phone and a firestick. And obviously a tv to plug the firestick into.
Having WiFi in my van is essential when my 15 year old daughter is with me. She used my data via the hotspot virtually all holiday. So did my wife. This was how I managed to post pics of our off grid pitches during our trip.
So my set up is a firestick with Netflix now5 bbc iPlayer etc on it.
I hotspot the firestick to my O2 phone with unlimited data and can stream full HD movies no problem with just 2 bars of 4G.
We were pitched on top of the mountains a way out in the sticks streaming the England match the other night.
So my advice to anyone looking to stream movies when travelling around Scotland is to make sure that your on the O2 network and have unlimited or plenty data and a firestick.
We have a 27” fold out tv that runs either 240 on EHU or plugged into the EcoFlow or 12v with a fag lighter plug.
We also got a tv with a dvd built in for the odd occasion that I’ve no service.

I'm amazed to hear that O2's network has the best coverage across Scotland. Sky Mobile also use the O2 network and their signal is sketchy even in my own home - I get signal break-up if we wander too close to the front of the house.

Also with O2 but even then there are hundreds of miles without service. I often download content from Netflix etc onto my device so that I watch stuff when out in the hills.

Also with O2 but even then there are hundreds of miles without service. I often download content from Netflix etc onto my device so that I watch stuff when out in the hills.
Hundreds of miles without service on O2 in Scotland?
I must of completely missed it then and I’ve covered just about the whole of Scotland on my travels over the years.
Where do you have problems with service?

Mostly in the mountains and at their bases when out walking/climbing. I suspect ‘mountain off grid’ is less well serviced than ‘fishing off grid’ due to the geography. I’ve found O2 the best of the networks in Scotland but it’s not flawless.

Starlink Roam. £85/month but you can turn the service on and off. You will need 240V to run it though.

Reactions: CAB
Starlink Roam. £85/month but you can turn the service on and off. You will need 240V to run it though.
My pal was telling me about the starlink. Internet that works off satellites. It’s something I’m interested in finding out about.
Do you have any info on it ?

I live in the north highlands. Vodafone is probably marginally better to be honest. I’m on giffgaff and Mrs prog99 is on Vodafone so we cover all bases.
We’re normally out in the hills or climbing on the coast most weekends.
Having said that o2 have been upgrading a lot of masts recently.

Back