NC500 Do you need to book campsites

BULL

Any advice from forum members who have done the NC500
Would be appreciated
We are planning our trip around the NC500
Last week of May first week of June
We have booked campsites up to John O’ Groats
But from John O’ Groats going west we haven’t booked anything
My question is can you find space on sites in the west easily ?
As we what the option of staying longer in places if we want to
Cheers
Johnny

Any advice from forum members who have done the NC500
Would be appreciated
We are planning our trip around the NC500
Last week of May first week of June
We have booked campsites up to John O’ Groats
But from John O’ Groats going west we haven’t booked anything
My question is can you find space on sites in the west easily ?
As we what the option of staying longer in places if we want to
Cheers
Johnny
Hi Johnny,
We did the 500 in the summer of 22 in a rental 6.1. School summer holidays, we didn't book anything in our far too short 10 days. Park4night was worth its money, being able to call up the next campsite on our way.
I had to beg a little twice, but not needing a hook up was a big advantage.
We spent too long on the west coast and had, sadly, to rush the east coast, the final day before the van had to be back we did 521 miles, I still remember them all!
Such a wonderful trip, we will certainly do it again going the other way next time!
Get some midge stuff, the electric ones sound useful, not sure if they are as effective as their reviews suggest?!

We're doing it exactly a month before you - end April, first week in May. Originally we were the same, didn't want to book too much so we have some flexibility.

In the end we have booked somewhere for most days, purely to avoid the anxiety of finding somewhere on the day. It just seems like the route is getting busier and busier and the more into the season you get, the less chance of finding space.

We do have a few days spare though, and will likely rely on park4night then, which should work as long as you get there early enough and have facilities onboard. If we want to hang around somewhere it might just mean a longer next day to catch up.

There are also some campsites that only book a few pitches and then leave the rest free on a first-come first-served basis. e.g. Sango Sands Oasis near Durness. So you could try and find a few of those as a plan.

We go on the 18th April and we have booked most nights where possible for our planned trip. The was just for peace of mind. We have done a lot of research and designed and planned our trip around what we want to see and explore.
Hopefully it will all work out for us. And this was just how we wanted to do it.

We went in 2018 and we booked the first site in fort William and maybe the last site but in between we called while en route when we knew where we would get to, not sure if it’s too busy now to do this

I've literally just returned from doing the NC500 yesterday, its already very busy as to be expected However, I did the same as you booked all up the east coast and just winged it for the north and booked all the east coast. Personally if you're planning on staying on camp sites id book, as most have a last check in time of 6pm. My preference was to book then I could plan around the times rather than do to much during the day and miss the check in times. If you're set for off grid then you wont struggle for pull ins. The campsites I did were -

West coast - Dornoch caravan and camping and John oGroats Caravan and camping - Both sites were full for elec hook up but you could squeeze in for non elec
North - Durness (Sango Sands) - I didnt book here, just turned up but got very very lucky, guy before me got turned away in his motorhome, likewise another T6 owner that wanted elec hook up
West - Ardmair Holiday Park and Applecross campsite - Ardmair was busy, however this could've been due to Ullapools not opening for another week or so, Applecross wasnt busy.

I've literally just returned from doing the NC500 yesterday, its already very busy as to be expected However, I did the same as you booked all up the east coast and just winged it for the north and booked all the east coast. Personally if you're planning on staying on camp sites id book, as most have a last check in time of 6pm. My preference was to book then I could plan around the times rather than do to much during the day and miss the check in times. If you're set for off grid then you wont struggle for pull ins. The campsites I did were -

West coast - Dornoch caravan and camping and John oGroats Caravan and camping - Both sites were full for elec hook up but you could squeeze in for non elec
North - Durness (Sango Sands) - I didnt book here, just turned up but got very very lucky, guy before me got turned away in his motorhome, likewise another T6 owner that wanted elec hook up
West - Ardmair Holiday Park and Applecross campsite - Ardmair was busy, however this could've been due to Ullapools not opening for another week or so, Applecross wasnt busy.
I wonder if it was busier due to Easter holidays. I know it is going to only get busier over the coming weeks, hence we have booked all our sites bar one in advance

We are planned to do it 4th may travelling up to the start, haven't booked anything yet lol

When we did it summer '22, diesel was a kidney a litre. Fuel is cheaper now so things may be busier..? Being self contained power wise I would do it again without booking but perhaps with a Bivvy Loo, just in case! There were plenty of places to wild camp, many close to overnight 'facilities'!

I don't use campsites when I go, just prefer to go where the mood takes me and not have to be in certain places at certain times.

Back