New battery - control panel lights

Paul Sussex

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

Had a new starter battery fitted by local garage.

Been on a few longish runs 70 miles round trip and 30 miles.

The control panel is still showing not full, do I need to do more miles or could it be something else?

Going back to the garage but they say not camper experts so may need to go off to somewhere else.

Also since then the tap has stopped pumping water (just clicks) but not saying that is connected to having the battery replaced.

IMG_6472.jpeg

Why did you have to change the starter battery?

Did the garage reset the battery health data?

Is the leisure battery charging?

A couple of pictures of both batteries if possible also helps folks advise.

Hi, the battery was changed as the in van display said shutting down as battery low. The leisure battery is showing fully charged.

I don’t know if they reset the health data - the mechanic said when they checked it said ‘replace battery).

The exude is the old battery and the other one the new battery - I noticed the Ah are different!

IMG_6498.png

IMG_6499.png

If they didn't recode the van then most likely your smart alternator is charging to the level of a knackered 70Ah rather than a new 85Ah one.

Normally you would have (in the BCM) changed the capacity and then changed the serial number to reset the health data. That's normal for any smart alternator Transporter, nothing specific to it being a camper.

If that's your issue the BCM should self learn in about 10 complete charge cycles.

Can you check the real van battery voltage rather than use the Sargent control panel?

The negative directly to the battery post is a big no no in a vehicle with a smart alternator and a shunt. All charge flowing down it will be unaccounted for by the BCM so it will think the battery is far more charged than it is, leading to a flat or badly charging battery.

It looks substantial, if it's for charging your leisure battery that will almost certainly be your issue and may have been the issue that caused the damage to the original starter battery. You need to determine what it's for.

Thanks roadtripper,

I watched the Victon connect app (not sure what that is really) but as we went on a drive it showed bulk charging, then something else - did not take a screen shot - then float.

Is that an indication it is wrong?

There is a load (probably 3) other electrical gizmos in the back - all a bit confusing as came with the van am new to this.

I have a receipt from the previous owner of what they had.

IMG_6408.jpeg

My concern is that they have wired a negative feed to your Orion - pictures of that area would help.

Where does that heavy black wire from the Orion go?

I was half expecting to see the isolated version with 2 negative black wires.

Hi,

Just had a look and it disappears behind the trim - so don’t know where it goes.

I’m hoping the garage did not reset the health data and higher battery capacity and that sorts it (as that sounds the easiest fix).

Yes, that's my worry. Looks like someone has both bypassed the shunt and wrapped up a red lead in black tape...

@Paul Sussex regardless of if the wire we are talking about is the source of your issues it does need moving as where it is is going to be constantly throwing out the the van's battery management.

It needs to move to a good ground in the engine bay at least. If it does indeed go to the Orion then that actually doesn't need to be wired to the battery negative terminal, it just needs a good ground. There is presumably one near the leisure battery.

If you're not confident yourself ask the garage to recommend a local auto electrician that could help.

Back