Normandy...

Algypan

Anyone off to Normandy in June for the D-Day 80th anniversary? Anyone know any decent child friendly sites or recommendations? I've booked the ferry but hoping to just play it by ear and find places to stay on the fly... or am I being too optimistic?

I'm expecting to see the Ferry swarming with campervans that weekend, haha!

Anyone off to Normandy in June for the D-Day 80th anniversary? Anyone know any decent child friendly sites or recommendations? I've booked the ferry but hoping to just play it by ear and find places to stay on the fly... or am I being too optimistic?

We were there for the 50th/60th/70th anniversaries. We used to stay for a month at a time, so were there well in advance. Plus, we visited Normandy every year for getting on for 20 years. It isn’t the easiest place to get around, think Cornwall. It was always rammed at anniversary time, not just with tourists, but all the dignitaries & associated security. We didn’t even try to take the car out for a couple of days either side of 6/6. Personally I wouldn’t go there at anniversary time now, it’s a much better place when it’s quiet. Your best bet would be to find a campsite away from the main areas & coast, and either cycle or walk in. We now prefer to head up towards the top of the Cherbourg peninsula, Barfleur is our favourite, can’t recommend Camping Blanche Nef enough. Probably the best municipal site you’ll ever visit.

Reactions: CAB
try

Port-en-Bessin-Huppain - small site excellent location for the Whole DDay arena - “camping de La prairie “

I’ve been loads of times. 70th was manic and so will be this years 80th! We travel from Newhaven to Dieppe but pay for the VIP lounge. If you want a base my mate lives out there and he has hook ups in hes orchard. Lemme know. Its near Barenton though which is about an hour south west of Caen.

This was Pegasus Bridge in 2014 for the 70th. Busy as hell with Charles & Camilla opening a new monument. Gives you an idea of how packed it can be!!
IMG_0050.jpeg

We were there on the 7th June last year and were talking to a couple who go every year. They had booked their accommodation already for the 80rh anniversary and said it was 3 times the normal price. That might be an indication of how busy they expect it to be.

We're currently booked to go through the tunnel on 17 June and will be heading in that direction but I'm hoping that the main DDay crowds will have cleared by then. I checked the dates for the Day commemorations when I booked it but I'm also in the position where the van insurance renewal should be happening around then and I wanted to be at home for all the inevitable phoning around that I'm probably going to have to do this year.

We're currently booked to go through the tunnel on 17 June and will be heading in that direction but I'm hoping that the main DDay crowds will have cleared by then. I checked the dates for the Day commemorations when I booked it but I'm also in the position where the van insurance renewal should be happening around then and I wanted to be at home for all the inevitable phoning around that I'm probably going to have to do this year.
On Monday 17th June there will be a lot of traffic from Le Mans heading back towards the ferry ports. Particularly Caen and Cherbourg.

I’ve been loads of times. 70th was manic and so will be this years 80th! We travel from Newhaven to Dieppe but pay for the VIP lounge. If you want a base my mate lives out there and he has hook ups in hes orchard. Lemme know. Its near Barenton though which is about an hour south west of Caen.
Thank you very much, that's very kind! I'll see if my sister has anything in the pipeline and if not, I'll be sure to contact you. :)

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Seem as though I have a lot to think about, especially with it going to be soo busy :eek:

On Monday 17th June there will be a lot of traffic from Le Mans heading back towards the ferry ports. Particularly Caen and Cherbourg.
It will probably be a couple of days before we get down there and we might even bypass it as we’ve not really got a plan.

We were there for the 50th/60th/70th anniversaries. We used to stay for a month at a time, so were there well in advance. Plus, we visited Normandy every year for getting on for 20 years. It isn’t the easiest place to get around, think Cornwall. It was always rammed at anniversary time, not just with tourists, but all the dignitaries & associated security. We didn’t even try to take the car out for a couple of days either side of 6/6. Personally I wouldn’t go there at anniversary time now, it’s a much better place when it’s quiet. Your best bet would be to find a campsite away from the main areas & coast, and either cycle or walk in. We now prefer to head up towards the top of the Cherbourg peninsula, Barfleur is our favourite, can’t recommend Camping Blanche Nef enough. Probably the best municipal site you’ll ever visit.
We're heading there next May for a week and following on from your recommendation, we are going to book the same site (Camping Blanche Nef) it looks lovely, a question regarding their EHU, did you need the 2 pin adaptor? Or did your UK set up work?

It's been on my bucket list for years to visit the landing sites but there was always something that got in the way.
No doubt I'll be asking more questions nearer the time, I can't book the ferry until 6 months before the trip anyway.

We're heading there next May for a week and following on from your recommendation, we are going to book the same site (Camping Blanche Nef) it looks lovely, a question regarding their EHU, did you need the 2 pin adaptor? Or did your UK set up work?

It's been on my bucket list for years to visit the landing sites but there was always something that got in the way.
No doubt I'll be asking more questions nearer the time, I can't book the ferry until 6 months before the trip anyway.
The EHU are standard blue plugs. You’ll need to travel to see the main DDay sites, Barfleur is at the northern most extreme point. You’d be better off nearer Omaha Beach tbh if you’re doing DDay stuff.

The EHU are standard blue plugs. You’ll need to travel to see the main DDay sites, Barfleur is at the northern most extreme point. You’d be better off nearer Omaha Beach tbh if you’re doing DDay stuff.
Cheers for the reply.
I don't mind travelling around, I did look at a few other sites but loved the look of Barfleur, quaint little village with bars and restaurants.
Showed it to the long haired general and she has her given the approval too.
It's 11 months away so plans might change.

Back