Our NC500 Trip

Dave512

T6 Guru
Hi all, just thought I'd share our recent trip and first time doing the NC500. Not as adventurous as we would hope as I'm still recovering from a broken leg and we couldn't do a lot of the walking and site seeing we wanted to do. I repeat a lot about the moon boot etc in the post because it's reviews I've put on TripAdvisor for the sites we visited.

First stop was; Blair Atoll Castle campsite

A beautiful site with a big grass area for kids to play and dogs to be walked. Went for a drink at the Bothy Pub which is a 10 minute walk from the site next to the train station.
Shower block was clean and tidy. Individual showers had a cubby hole for shoes and clothes to keep them separate from the shower area.

1000015625.jpg1000015626.jpg
Loch Ness Bay Campsite

Basic campsite with big open grass area clean toilets. 5 minute walk to the Loch Ness Inn. The Lewiston is the restaurant which was really nice, good food and drinks. An outdoor seating area for the dogs was nice. The vegan pasta was amazing.

1000015727.jpg

1000015712.jpg

1000015696.jpg

Slight detour to Skelbo Castle to see the ruin and the view of Loch Fleet, where we saw some resting Seals.

1000015770.jpg1000015769.jpg

Brora Motorhome amd Caravan Club site

Site wasn't that big but was very nice with well spaced pitches. Small shower block, clean and tidy; only 3 showers. Short walk to a beautiful beach which was great for the dogs. Would be a good spot for relaxing for a few days to unwind. Town is about half an hour walk which we didn't do.
1000015800.jpg1000015794.jpg

Stop off in Wick to walk the dogs and get something to eat.
1000015826.jpg

Next stop was the famous John O'Groats.

Another basic site on the trip, if I went again I'd have preferred a hard standing pitch to the grass one we were allocated (didn't realise at time of booking). As with all things the weather plays a part in how a stay goes, it was dry and windy (as expected lol) the view of the coast were nice. Shower and toilet block were a little dated but clean and adequate for a quick wash. The John O'Groats brewery pub is next to the site and was dog friendly; good for a few pints with seating outside.
1000015840.jpg
1000015856.jpg1000015920.jpg

Wee quick stop off at the Mackay Country Landmark for a picture, just because it's my family name.

1000015895.jpg

Another stop off between JOG and Durness was the Norse Bakehouse, just before Tounge - nice vegan friendly food. View from the back patio was really cool.
1000015905.jpg

Sango Sands Oasis

Stunning views from the site down to the beach. Great for taking the dogs and letting them run around. Decent shower area and washing facilities. There was a breakfast shack which we didn't use and the pub/ restaurant next door wasn't open on the day we were there, we will go back again and hopefully try them both out.

Managed to get a few pictures of the sun rise as well (roughly 5am - this was a complete fluke, I needed a pee ) also the NC500 written in the same wasn't us, but whoever it was we appreciate it.
1000015967.jpg1000015957.jpg1000015954.jpg
Before we left Durness we visited the Smoo Caves; unfortunately with the two dogs and myself in a moon boot we only went to the first cave section; next time we will venture further in.

1000015974.jpg

1000016336.jpg

How many nights did you take Dave?

Clachtoll Beach Site

Probably the favourite of the trip, staff really friendly and gave us a loan of a pair of ramp levelers which was appreciated. Short walk to another stunning beach area, the site rent out paddle boards, wet suits etc for adults and kids. The facilities were really nice, even had a honesty fridge and a coffee machine available for different hot beverages. Another highlight was the games and herb garden that were for everyone. With most of the trip we would have liked to have stayed here longer and preferably with myself not being in a mood boot to really get out and explore.
1000015995.jpg1000015998.jpg1000016005.jpg

Broomfield Holiday Park

You can't book this site, however there are a lots of pitches, phone the day before to find out how busy it is. The pitch we got was right at the water edge, stunning view. The park is nice, although basic. All facilities are fine, some EHU points are on opposite side of gravel road, cable protector available at reception; we didn't use for the one night stay. Its a short walk into Ullapool town centre which had a nice chippy called The Chippy with outside seating and an ice cream hut.
1000016150.jpg1000016166.jpg

From Ullapool we travelled to Skye we travelled to, stopping off at Attadale Gardens. It's dear to get in £10 per adult but the gardens are beautiful and a nice walk for the dogs.
1000016204.jpg1000016201.jpg

South Skye Motorhome Park

Very small site, parked up after driving into Portree to see some of the Isle before getting the ferry from Armadale to Mallaig the next day. Site was nice and tidy with only 5 pitches. There is a cafe next to it where the 1 toilet and 2 showers are left open on a side entrance for campers 24/7. No pictures of the site because the weather was that bad I just wanted back in the van lol
1000016269.jpg

Sunnyside Croft Touring & Caravan Site

Last site on our tour, the site am eco friendly site with its own sewage treatment plant. Only downside wasn't having a glass bottle for recycling. Site has really big hard standing pitches, although ramps are advised as they aren't completely flat. My girlfriend walked the dogs to the beach which she said was stunning, the path from the site is a little uneven but worth the walk.

1000016284.jpg

The trip was great but as mentioned wish I was more mobile, will definitely do again. Next time I'm driving I want to do the Bealach Na Ba down to Applecross.

This was roughly the whole route taken.
1000016316.png

Thanks for posting - "inspiration in a thread" right here! :inlove::inlove::inlove:

Well, you look like you've got plenty of decades left of life not to waste. :cool:

Back