Pop Top Wind Noise

If you stop up that hole you'll stop the water being able to drain out from that channel when the roof is up or any that gets under there while the roof is down. Open cell foam might allow water to drain but will get clogged with dust and dirt in the process.
Have you stuffed something in temporarily to see if it makes any difference to the noise levels?
If you block the channel there you'll likely get water running over the door and into the van every time you open the doors when it's raining.

I glued some foam pieces in each channel under where the pop top rubber sits.

I had no problems with water pooling over 3 years.
It really did reduce the wind noise (it’s directly above the front seats) and you could simply wipe the channel before you put the top down…if it’s been raining that is.

Yes fair points Grim! Did think of putting a small hole at the base of whatever i use to allow sufficient drainage, without defeating the object of noise reduction. I'm going to bung up first as you say to check for any difference. I'll update once i know more
Hi any joy with this ? Mine is exactly same at around 40 mph and is irritating so could do with a fix ?

I moulded Blu Tac in to this gap, temporarily, to gauge the difference. Definitely makes a substantial difference to the wind noise but also looking for a more permanent solution, @Oldrat @DXX - any photos of your solutions?
I don’t have a gap, I have a Reimo roof with a spoiler.

I moulded Blu Tac in to this gap, temporarily, to gauge the difference. Definitely makes a substantial difference to the wind noise but also looking for a more permanent solution, @Oldrat @DXX - any photos of your solutions?
Sorry, no longer have the pics or van.
I cut some firm black foam into @ 1”x 3/4” by 2” long.
I glued them onto the van roof (copydex rubber glue- it peels off if no longer wanted) in each rain channel directly under where the pop top rubber passes across the channels. This eliminated the gap that the pop top seal misses and not surprisingly, also eliminated a fair amount of wind noise

I glued them onto the van roof (copydex rubber glue- it peels off if no longer wanted) in each rain channel directly under where the pop top rubber passes across the channels. This eliminated the gap that the pop top seal misses and not surprisingly, also eliminated a fair amount of wind noise
@Oldrat - thanks for the info, still looking at options, copydex is a good steer...

Here it is if you are not familiar with a Reimo roof, there is a proper spoiler bonded to the body over the windscreen.
There is a reason why Reimo and SCA are preferred by some reputable converters.

1686580660475.jpeg

Dxx, just today purchased a van and think so have this exact issue but not exactly sure what you have done, any chance you could send me a photo as think what you have done will resolve my problem.
Thanksn

Dxx, just today purchased a van and think so have this exact issue but not exactly sure what you have done, any chance you could send me a photo as think what you have done will resolve my problem.
Thanksn
The spoiler on the front is standard Reimo installation if that is what you are referring to?
Otherwise I have used 20mm of self adhesive acoustic foam above the OEM headliner and made a 40mm upholstered foam pad that’s a tight fit in the poptop access opening.

So I've had hellish wind noise at the front of my CamperKing van since I got it (didn't notice it on test drive). I've just 'installed' the above suggestion (albeit went 4" long) and what a change it was!! The horrible wind noise is gone :mexican wave:

My original thoughts that it was the pop top were unfounded and it was the rubber deflector strip. Looking at other vans the deflector strip generally stopped in line with the wind however min extended across the rain channel leaving a hole underneath that the wind was trying its best to get under. I fitted the foam under the deflector and then 4" back under the pop top (my deflector is further forward than other vans I've looked at). I've not glued it yet however the pop is keeping it in place.

Gotta love this forum for solutions!! The wind noise was that bad above 50mph that I was considering getting rid of the van and back to a car!!

Thank you @Oldrat, You are a Star!!

So I've had hellish wind noise at the front of my CamperKing van since I got it (didn't notice it on test drive). I've just 'installed' the above suggestion (albeit went 4" long) and what a change it was!! The horrible wind noise is gone :mexican wave:

My original thoughts that it was the pop top were unfounded and it was the rubber deflector strip. Looking at other vans the deflector strip generally stopped in line with the wind however min extended across the rain channel leaving a hole underneath that the wind was trying its best to get under. I fitted the foam under the deflector and then 4" back under the pop top (my deflector is further forward than other vans I've looked at). I've not glued it yet however the pop is keeping it in place.

Gotta love this forum for solutions!! The wind noise was that bad above 50mph that I was considering getting rid of the van and back to a car!!

I’d be interested to see a pic of this please. We have a camperking with the same wind strip deflector and wind noise can be pretty annoying so would be keen do something similar….

I’d be interested to see a pic of this please. We have a camperking with the same wind strip deflector and wind noise can be pretty annoying so would be keen do something similar….
Hey @Oakley_vanlife, here you go. I went to a DIY store and bought pipe insulation that had a 15mm hole and the insulation was 19mm and then cut it to size suggested by Oldrat but made it slightly longer. Once installed I then trimmed it down a bit on the top as the seal of the pop was being pushed up. All in it probably took 15mins to do.
IMG_0766.jpegIMG_0765.jpeg

You are most welcome. That’s what forums are all about.

Now, about that payment…..

I've only had my van just over a month, but from day one I also noticed the excessive wind noise from the pop top. I'm a little puzzled why this isn't a bigger issue/discussion, as for me the noise is totally unacceptable.

I have the rubber deflector, but the shorter version that stops short of the rain channels. The converter (Autohaus) told me that they now fit the wider version (without admitting that the shorter one is a problem, and the dealer claims they've not had any other complaints). Judging by T6 Deeks' post, the longer one won't actually solve the problem (although my roof closes much closer to the deflector, so it may help a bit). The dealer is willing to change the deflector, but want over 150 quid to do it o_O, which would be a rather expensive experiment. Meanwhile, thanks to the advice here, I cut some foam pipe insulation to fit in the gaps as suggested, and it stops the noise 100%. I'm reluctant to glue or fix anything permanently, for the reasons mentioned here, so have to remove the bungs when the roof is up and remember to pop them back in when closing the roof. I wonder if anyone has found any other solutions?

I've spoken to a couple of other owners who I met on campsites last week, who had the same (short) deflector as mine, and they said they had no wind noise, and the dealer claiming nobody has ever mentioned it before does makes me wonder of there's something else I'm missing?

roof.jpg

I've only had my van just over a month, but from day one I also noticed the excessive wind noise from the pop top. I'm a little puzzled why this isn't a bigger issue/discussion, as for me the noise is totally unacceptable.

I have the rubber deflector, but the shorter version that stops short of the rain channels. The converter (Autohaus) told me that they now fit the wider version (without admitting that the shorter one is a problem, and the dealer claims they've not had any other complaints). Judging by T6 Deeks' post, the longer one won't actually solve the problem (although my roof closes much closer to the deflector, so it may help a bit). The dealer is willing to change the deflector, but want over 150 quid to do it o_O, which would be a rather expensive experiment. Meanwhile, thanks to the advice here, I cut some foam pipe insulation to fit in the gaps as suggested, and it stops the noise 100%. I'm reluctant to glue or fix anything permanently, for the reasons mentioned here, so have to remove the bungs when the roof is up and remember to pop them back in when closing the roof. I wonder if anyone has found any other solutions?

I've spoken to a couple of other owners who I met on campsites last week, who had the same (short) deflector as mine, and they said they had no wind noise, and the dealer claiming nobody has ever mentioned it before does makes me wonder of there's something else I'm missing?

View attachment 239306
The rubber strip is creating a large amount of turbulence behind it, hopeless design for reducing noise.
There needs to be a rubber profile in it’s place that doesn’t cause drag.

@GUMY Is the underside of the roof exposed when it's down (or do you have a bed board and cover for the front 45cm (or whatever's left)? This was my solution (Post #1790):

@GUMY Is the underside of the roof exposed when it's down (or do you have a bed board and cover for the front 45cm (or whatever's left)? This was my solution (Post #1790):
Don't have a hatch cover, so I'll look into that option, thanks. I'm no carpenter, so hopefully there's one out there ready made for my Reimo roof!

Gumy I have a Autohaus with Reimo roof and I looked around to see if there was a hatch cover available for my roof, couldn't find one so ended up making one, makes the cab a bit quieter and doubles up as a handy shelf when the roof is up.View attachment 239489View attachment 239491View attachment 239490
That looks very professional! There's probably a good market for them if you ever decide to make more ;) Like I said, I'm no carpenter, but if you don't mind I may use your photos (and @Ayjay's) to show exactly what I'm after if I can find a local converter willing to knock one up for me.

Back