Portable Solar Panel without drilling holes in bodywork

silvercamper95

Is there a legitimate way to add a portable solar panel to trickle charge a battery without having to drill holes in the van? I usually use hookup but have a couple festivals coming up.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Crack the window open or through the door rubbers

@Loz has a solar panel he leaves on his dashboard for this - have a search and you’ll probably find he’s posted the details on here. Seems to work ok through the windscreen glass.
It might be that you could keep a temporary panel in the cab, should you have concerns a portable one might go missing..

Is there a legitimate way to add a portable solar panel to trickle charge a battery without having to drill holes in the van? I usually use hookup but have a couple festivals coming up.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Which battery, starter or leisure?

If it's the starter, you could connect it straight to the battery (negative to a chassis ground), under the closed bonnet and magnets holding the panel to the bonnet, or placed in the ground in front of the van.

Small panel in the windscreen connected to a 12v socket.

The fact you say hookup might suggest it's for the leisure battery.

Wind deflectors, a front window open by an inch or 2 and then cables in that way is the easiest.

If it’s for a leisure battery and you have barn doors you could use the grommets for the tail gate hinges, run some cables to your leisure battery via a controller then leave some connectors externally for the portable panel

IMG_1256.png

I have a foldable panel that’s too big unfolded for the dash but if I leave one section unfolded it fits. I just connect to the LB under the drivers seat using crocodile clips when parked up and not using the van.

The controller has all kinds of protection built in (apparently) and it’s worked like that fine for over a year.

When we camp and if it’s dry I place the panel outside and run the wires through the drivers door window which has ClimAir wind deflectors- so happy to leave them cracked open. Still connected just by croc clips.

The LB has m6 or m8 terminals that are spare so I’ll probably make a fly lead with connector up at some point - just need to be careful not to have the positive terminal from the battery side exposed if the panel isn’t connected. Or find connectors where both polarities are shielded.

If it’s for a leisure battery and you have barn doors you could use the grommets for the tail gate hinges, run some cables to your leisure battery via a controller then leave some connectors externally for the portable panel

View attachment 248787
That tie wrap needs trimming - they are vicious left like that. I use a set of cheap lever style nail clippers. :)

Last edited:
dash mount, or Portable though window crack. . .

1719867473517.png

That tie wrap needs trimming - they are vicious left like that. I use a set of cheap lever style nail clippers. :)
That was my setup when i was using a portable panel but i now have a permanent panel in place but I know what you mean

1000011130.jpg

XT60 connector fed throught the EHU. Works a treat.

PS. the rusty screws now all replaced with stainless :)

Last edited:
Back