Posting pics of your van with the number plate visable?

You can indeed access the directory although you can now opt out from being innit as there were some high profile stalking cases of fit birds getting tracked to their homes from the number plate.
Thought for a moment you'd gone all street on us, Sam. :thumbsdown:

My personal view is influenced by the day job where there is a lot of "but what if, and then after that what if again?"

Yes reg plates are public but they are only seen by people who are physically near your van. A photograph on the internet is available to all internet users 24/7 largely forever, it's a very different kind of public. And yes DVLA take reasonable precautions but there is still data out there that ties that plate to the registered keeper's address and that data is also spread out in other parking and insurance organisations etc.

I'd rather there are as few dots to join together as possible so when I post stuff a few seconds with the healing brush and cropping to make sure strong identity things (and me!) are not in view seems sensible.

Exactly this.

I’m more concerned about the data associated with a digital image. Location is switched off on my phone camera!

And exactly this.

From personal experience, I always suggest to blur it.

My camper, which I bought in April this year, was on eBay being sold by a scammer multiple times. They had used original sale pictures from the guy I bought it off, so technically when people search it, it comes back as a genuine van.

Since then, I've blurred my reg.

From personal experience, I always suggest to blur it.

My camper, which I bought in April this year, was on eBay being sold by a scammer multiple times. They had used original sale pictures from the guy I bought it off, so technically when people search it, it comes back as a genuine van.

Since then, I've blurred my reg.
True story. We were sat on a campsite with friends who had a Hymer motor home. Andy our friend was browsing a motorhome sales site, “sh1t! Look at this” exclaims Andy, only to show us pics of his van, the one that we were sat in having a brew, advertised for sale on the site. A full spread sales advert showing the number plate & stating that the vehicle had been HPI checked. It would pass an HPI check as there was no outstanding finance & it hadn’t been reported stolen.
Caveat Emptor

Back