Re occuring coolant light

Hamster67

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have just got my van back from my local garage were they spent several days replacing sensors. I was getting high oil temp on gauge and camshaft pos sensor fault on carissa.

The van drove about 10 miles before the light lit up again, it cleared and drove back to the garage no problem, does anyone have any ideas?

I noticed the coolant smells like cat pee so they are going to do a flush.

Screenshot_20231213_114916_Carista.jpg

My woes continue after a complete flush of the coolant system. The mechanic took it for a long drive and is convinced that ad blue is mixing with the coolant and creating a sludge.

My van is a 2018 2.0tdi 102bhp with only 79k on the clock. There is nothing on the forum that suggests this is possible.

Do any of the more mechanically minded members have an opinion on this?

Cat pee would certainly describe the smell of the urea that is in AdBlue but given that's injected into the exhaust downstream of things like the EGR afaik I'm likewise mystified how it could be getting into the coolant.

The smell is still noticeable after a full flush, though not as bad. My mechanic rung VW for advice on recalls etc, because I assume he can see this being pricey ( no reply of course)

I've only had the van for 18 months, had two full services, timing belt change at 70k / 4 year old.

I add ad blue but never coolant. ( I was asked if I might have put ad blue in coolant tank)

Cat pee would certainly describe the smell of the urea that is in AdBlue but given that's injected into the exhaust downstream of things like the EGR afaik I'm likewise mystified how it could be getting into the coolant.
These problems coincided with the van getting harder to start and heater not working.

I did fit a new battery ( Varta AGM to replace the oem battery)

The van is driving OK and there are no signs of any type of leak. The coolant, oil, and AdBlue levels are all OK.

I cannot explain the ammonia smell from the coolant though.

These problems coincided with the van getting harder to start and heater not working.

I did fit a new battery ( Varta AGM to replace the oem battery)

The van is driving OK and there are no signs of any type of leak. The coolant, oil, and AdBlue levels are all OK.

I cannot explain the ammonia smell from the coolant though.
Have you had a chemical flush at any point? There are stories of some flush agents creating this sort of smell and taking quite a few flushes to clear the smell.

The recent flush is the first in my time as owner. I have owned the van for 18 months and had it serviced twice.

The van was previously a VW fleet lease and had full VW service history. The mechanic said it was given a really good flush ( an hour) prior to refill.

After the test drive the sensor had the same residue as before and the smell was still there.

Although the van drives OK I will not do so with the coolant light lit and the temp shooting up tp 130.

Have you had a chemical flush at any point? There are stories of some flush agents creating this sort of smell and taking quite a few flushes to clear the smell.
I will try this, thank you for the suggestion.

This is a good point. I have some flush in the Volvo at the minute (trying to clear the heater matrix) and that is also a very urea odour like adblue.

If for some reason someone has done what I'm doing and leaving it in I can see that odour persisting in areas like plastic header tanks etc.

Last edited:
This is a good point. I have some flush in the Volvo at the minute (trying to clear the heater matrix) and that is also a very urea odour like adblue.

If for some reason someone has done what I'm doing and leaving it in I can see that odour persisting in areas like plastic header tanks etc.
Search 'silica bag in coolant' on You Tube.

It doesn't mention the smell but it is interesting, same symptoms, blocked heater matrix and potentially a very expensive fix.

Search 'silica bag in coolant' on You Tube.

It doesn't mention the smell but it is interesting, same symptoms, blocked heater matrix and potentially a very expensive fix.
If that's to me about the Volvo no it's not that, this is a well known issue on the P2 Volvo platform where the heater is in circuit at all times (Scandavian) and so collects all the sludge, it's been fading away for the last 4 years and I should have done it earlier. The smell is the Wynn's Speed flush I put in as a last ditch easy fix before I start cutting into stuff to change the heater matrix. Problem is at 18 years old the plastic is brittle as anything so the normal dash out will likely just damage everything but there is a way of sliding it out, just, if you hacksaw off some footwell trim, which at this point... Worth a shot.

Anyway back to your regular Transporter quirks...

If that's to me about the Volvo no it's not that, this is a well known issue on the P2 Volvo platform where the heater is in circuit at all times (Scandavian) and so collects all the sludge, it's been fading away for the last 4 years and I should have done it earlier. The smell is the Wynn's Speed flush I put in as a last ditch easy fix before I start cutting into stuff to change the heater matrix. Problem is at 18 years old the plastic is brittle as anything so the normal dash out will likely just damage everything but there is a way of sliding it out, just, if you hacksaw off some footwell trim, which at this point... Worth a shot.

Anyway back to your regular Transporter quirks...
Apologies @roadtripperI should have been clearer, the reply was not directed at you or your Volvo.

The issue is with VW, Audi and Seat engines. I very much hope it doesn't apply to me also, but I will be heading to the garage first think tomorrow to check coolant tank for the text G13 Silikat.

I am still hopeful it has been a chemical reaction that can be remedied with multiple flushes.

Today, the needle on the gauge did a couple of sweeps from 90 to 100 and back to 90, before going straight into the red and triggering the alarm.

After switching the engine off and on the light was gone, first time the needle returned to 90 second time it stayed at 0.

The oil was only 60° on the first alarm and 93° on the second.

I've already had the temperature sensors changed, the only fault on carista is still the cam shaft sensor.

Has anyone experienced this fault, I can not get it looked at properly until the new year.

Back