Rear bumper parking sensor holes

Jongall

Sold.
T6 Pro
I’m installing a rear bumper Travelin-Lite but need to cut holes for parking sensors.
What do people use?

Try a stepped drill bit (Xmas tree bit)
Same. There are proper PDC hole cutters out there (and your spray shop may well have several) but for something you’ll only need once, the stepped drill-bit will do. The rear of the OEM bumper has markings on it to dictate the size. Just go slow and keep checking.
The finish is key - make sure you really take care with the outside, as once it’s sprayed, any burrs will be obvious.

I've got a new (tailgate) rear bumper to fit on my van as i am gathering goodies for a BD2TG conversion. My current BD rear bumper has factory fit parking sensors. The new TG bumper does not have holes in it.
I've done a site search and can't find any threads that can answer my question hence the new thread.
I am wondering if it is just a matter of drilling holes in the new bumper and swapping the sensors over, or are the bumpers made differently for ones with and wothout PDC?

I know i could probably wait untill i removed the BD tailgate to find out myself, but id rather know i can get it all done in one go, and not have to abort the mission mid way through and search for a PDC specific bumper.

Hopefully i haven't confused you all too much and you understand what i mean :)

Thanks

Matt

Hi, Assuming it’s a T6 the bumpers are made the same for TG models with or without PDC VW no longer sell the ones with holes that’s how I came to know the procedure!
If you look on the rear of the bumper you will see little crosses possibly with a circle indicating the position of the sensors. The trick is to drill a 2-3 mm pilot hole from the rear and then use a very sharp hole cutter from the outside to form the new holes. Use a micrometer to get the size of the holes from your old bumper and the appropriate hole saw. You may need a sensor fitting kit which are basically double sided tape mounting brackets. ( you may be able to salvage the old ones ) Good Luck

Awesome, thank you for the info. The new bumper does indeed have the crossed circles on the rear like you said. Luckily they are commercial bumpers so i dont have to worry about chipping any paint :)

Hopefully i can cut the mounts off and replace the sticky pads on them :)
Thanks for you help matey, much appreciated.

I've done a site search and can't find any threads that can answer my question
Thread merged with similar :p
When I took my bumper to get it sprayed, the ‘shop did have a set of various-sized bits for different size PDC sensors. So if your tailgate bumper needs spraying, it may be worth checking with them in case they can drill it for you.

Back