Removable Towbar Stuck!

RosscoPCole

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've just put on our Tow-Trust removable towbar and the key is now stuck in the lock and I can't remove the towbar. I can only slightly move the release lever.
Any suggestions? I've tried WD40

Bang it with a rubber mallet to jiggle the internals?

I've just put on our Tow-Trust removable towbar and the key is now stuck in the lock and I can't remove the towbar. I can only slightly move the release lever.
Any suggestions? I've tried WD40
Is this something you've done successfully previously and now the same technique isn't working or is this your first attempt at removing the towbar?

If it's your first attempt, then the instructions for towbar removal may help (Owner's Manual, page 280):
  • Insert key and turn it clockwise
  • Hold the ball coupling tightly in one hand
  • Use your other hand to pull out the handwheel and hold it in position
  • Turn the handwheel clockwise until it engages
  • Hold the handwheel in this position and guide the ball coupling downwards out of the mounting
It doesn't actually say how to remove the key, but, presumably, once the towbar is disconnected, it will then just remove.

Thanks everyone. Got it to work. Instructions weren't very clear.
Tell me about it - first time I tried to remove it, I was knelt on the driveway puzzling for about 15 mins. Knees haven't really recovered since!

Towing for the first time this weekend with the Caravelle and have made sure I've practiced with the removable towbar in the dry on the drive before doing it in public...

Thought I'd be ahead of the game having had removable towbars for years on the XC70s but no...

Back