T6 Fixed towbar removal or cut?

For now I'm just going to remove the tow ball and relocate all the electrics out of sight - as long as they aren't visible it should be OK, fingers crossed. Longer term I'll probably take it all off and replace it properly because I'll be left with a plate with 4 holes on the back of the van... I guess it's still protection though! I already have twin reversing lights and the wiring is damaged somewhere (the leasing company indiscriminately cut loads of wires when decommissioning) but it's a nice idea @archersam

From the MOT testers manual:-

"You must only inspect the trailer electrical socket on vehicles fitted with a towing coupling.

If there’s no tow ball or pin, but the attachment brackets are still in place, you must assess the electrical sockets if the tow ball or pin has been:

• detached
  • unbolted
  • otherwise removed
You do not need to assess the electrical sockets if the attachment brackets have been deliberately made unfit for further use."

personally I would wire the cables to something else like say an extra set of reverse lights (like I already have as I added them to that circuit) remove the socket and then they are not towbar electrics.
I was wondering if I could use the electrics for anything else like a infeed trickle charge back to the battery but guessing its very thin gauge wires

Back