RIB Altair Bed (120cm) removal advice pls

d8smt

T6 Pro
Hi all

I'm looking at buying a LWB T6.1 and it has a RIB Altair Bed fitted (120cm). I'm unlikely to use it except occasionally and would prefer the space for bikes and a large dog crate, so am thinking I can remove the seat unit and then when required (maybe once a year) just put back in.

I'm not familiar with these units, is it just a matter of undoing the bolts internally on the seat frame going through the floor and just taking it out? And then simply doing the reverse when putting back in? Or is it more complicated than that? The fitting instructions aren't really much help & I can't see how it is fitted underneath the vehicle because there's an underslung tank in the way.

Also does anyone know how much these beds weigh? There seems to be no info anywhere on the weight.

Thx
Dave

Hi Dave. These bolt through the floor to a steel cross member and the cross member is bolted to the vans chassis legs (assuming it's installed to spec). Ebay number 253446160679 is a good example of an M1 tested unit. I have a Rib 130 with slider and it is very heavy - I'd guess between 70-80kg. Not easy to move even between two of us. If you decide to sell yours i may be interested as i want the smaller/shorter version. Cheers.

Thanks, much appreciated. Currently on a tour round Europe to get the hang of the van, so I'll look into this when I get back and let you know. The bed looks like it's rarely been used (and still isn't!) so I'll drop you a line on my return and let you know what I'm going to do, my thinking at the moment is to strip it out with the power supply that suits underneath it and reconfigure the van for now space. Thanks for the info, I'll get in touch about the bed on my return.

Cheers
Dave

Back