Roof lining in rear frozen ?

andythom188

Electrician
T6 Legend
IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1641.JPG IMG_1638.JPG
came to use the van yesterday which was a cold frosty morning ,noticed these frost patches on the roof lining in the rear of the kombi has anyone else had this ?

@andythom188 is the roof insulated? Possible that condensation has formed on roof lining due to a lack of it when you have parked up after a run?

@andythom188 is the roof insulated? Possible that condensation has formed on roof lining due to a lack of it when you have parked up after a run?
Roof hasn't been insulated due to Hilo roof being fitted in February but everything else has been insulated.
Never used the van Friday so came to it Saturday morning struggled to get side door open so just maybe it was that cold that it just formed on the roof panel

@andythom188 , cold air trapped behind the roof panel gets to be same temp as roof skin, then transfers to roof lining, and so condensation will form as air inside warmed through day etc. then freezes. Hope this helps, should cure with Hilo?:thumbsdown::thumbsup:

@andythom188 , cold air trapped behind the roof panel gets to be same temp as roof skin, then transfers to roof lining, and so condensation will form as air inside warmed through day etc. then freezes. Hope this helps, should cure with Hilo?:thumbsdown::thumbsup:
Was only worried as had a issue at end of last year with water coming into b pillar ( passenger front seatbelt soaking wet thought it might be roof rails, hopfully once Hilo fitted will be sorted, thanks for the help m8

Are you sure you've not got damp getting into the van through the b pillar again? Just seems rather a lot of frost for condensation when no one has been in the van. Mine was sat all week but had no such frost build up.

@DaveyB , know what you mean, but it's front to back on the rear hardboard headlining, not sure if front is affected, so can only assume. Had a leak on my jumbo roof, traveled down to floor and puddled, shape of roof in a vw would allow water to run down walls. But not on scene so only guessing and theorising. :thumbsdown::thumbsup::whistle::whistle:

Are you sure you've not got damp getting into the van through the b pillar again? Just seems rather a lot of frost for condensation when no one has been in the van. Mine was sat all week but had no such frost build up.
Swiss vans were spoes to come out mid December and inspect the roof bars as I suspected they were leaking ,they cancelled on me as fitter was stuck in Liverpool , they ain't been back in touch , so I'm going to get the firm that is doing my Hilo to remove the roof bars and rear roof lining , get me some photo evidence of water ingress and bill them for sorting it out as customer service has been very poor since they have had my money

Last edited:
@DaveyB , know what you mean, but it's front to back on the rear hardboard headlining, not sure if front is affected, so can only assume. Had a leak on my jumbo roof, traveled down to floor and puddled, shape of roof in a vw would allow water to run down walls. But not on scene so only guessing and theorising. :thumbsdown::thumbsup::whistle::whistle:
Front is not affected so without removing headlining it's hard to say

Mate, when you get the HiLo.
You can ask them to make the ply packing deeper..ie another 12mm.
This will allow them to sound-deaden and add 12-18mm insulation before fitting internal ply roof.

If you want to that is..

Mate, when you get the HiLo.
You can ask them to make the ply packing deeper..ie another 12mm.
This will allow them to sound-deaden and add 12-18mm insulation before fitting internal ply roof.

If you want to that is..
Think they have allready mentioned to me that they will insulate the roof but will ask :thumbsup:

Swiss vans were spies to come out mid December and inspect the roof bars as I suspected they were leaking ,they cancelled on me as fitter was stuck in Liverpool , they ain't been back in touch , so I'm going to get the firm that is doing my Hilo to remove the roof bars and rear roof lining , get me some photo evidence of water ingress and bill them for sorting it out as customer service has been very poor since they have had my money
Mmm, sounds quite telling that. Have seen a couple of posts relating to water ingress through the roof bar mounting points. That is rather shocking that they have not rearranged.

Mmm, sounds quite telling that. Have seen a couple of posts relating to water ingress through the roof bar mounting points. That is rather shocking that they have not rearranged.
very poor m8 they are blaming it on a temporary fitter they sent out to fit my kit at listers in Stratford upon Avon holding yard for poor fitting of the bars and fitting Crome side bars instead of black, which the salesman did sort quickly by sending me black bars and telling me to keep the chrome ones

very poor m8 they are blaming it on a temporary fitter they sent out to fit my kit at listers in Stratford upon Avon holding yard for poor fitting of the bars and fitting Crome side bars instead of black, which the salesman did sort quickly by sending me black bars and telling me to keep the chrome ones
Isn't it odd; every time you hear of poor workmanship, company always gives it the ole "it was a temp member of staff" line; as if it exonerates them of liability!

I noticed bit of water on the passenger b pillar last week. Might give the dealer a ring to ask if they sealed the roof bars up well!

I noticed bit of water on the passenger b pillar last week. Might give the dealer a ring to ask if they sealed the roof bars up well!
I would check your seat belt pull it out all the way check the end if it's wet that's how we found out

Back