Routing Dash-Cam Cable through Tailgate

Smileysmile

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Struggling to route rear cam cable through rubber tailgate rubber gaitor.

Its so tight. Thoughts please.

Photos attached.

20240617_170254.jpg

20240617_170301.jpg

It can be a git of a job but it is possible
If you have something thin and rigid you can push that through in one direction then tape the cable onto it and pull it back through ?
A bit of lube helps massively if its tight, small amount tiny amount of vaseline or even a dot of fairy liquid is better than nothing

As I have been a home brewer (not much of late) I used some beer line hose, it's stiff enough to manoeuvre and has enough space inside to run wires through. Pushed all the wires through, then held the wires and removed the hose. I've since used this when running wires through the dashboard too, it's very useful.

Example of the stuff.

Oh and I don't have a tailgate, I have barn doors which are even more difficult due to the length of the gaiter.

I'm thinking coat hanger with tape on end as not to scag anything with a bit of lubricant. Maybe washing up liquid?

Just done exactly this with a Kenwood rear camera. Get a squeegy bottle filled with fairy liquid and water about 1:10 ratio. Pull both ends of the rubber hose off the van. Squrit the soapy mixture into the hose and masage it so it goes everywhere. Put a stiff wire through the rubber hose and dry this off when it comes out. Gaffatape your camera cable to this by taping the cable on with lots of spare then double back the cable and tape again so that any plug is trailing. This means you are not putting any force on the plug when pulling. Pull the wire and massage the plug through. The Kenwood camera has a small connector on the end of the wire which you can feel when it is inside the rubber tube. Take your time - dont apply huge amounts of force - it will only move millimeters at a time but it will go through.

How are you routing it before you get to the rubber (from the camera on the window)?

Bonus about Shuttles, no need to faff around and do that. Although I have done it with a DVR that was in the middle of my badge and got an RCA through their before I found out that you can cut off RCA plugs and just join the wires again. LOL

Now for the next fun part.

Cable is threaded through rubber gaiter. Now how to get it to rear of camera. I read that in my next photo a hole was drilled so cable was threaded behind panel to hole where my finger is pointing and a hole was drilled. Threaded using fish wire.

20240617_193148.jpg

How are you routing it before you get to the rubber (from the camera on the window)?
Cable from front dashcam along ceiling hidden behind roof board. From rear camera 6" cable with connector on end needs to connect to cable I've just threaded through rubber gaitor. Maybe drill a hole where my finger is pointing then use fish wire to connect them up.

The hole will be touched up with paint and then a grommet with a hole to fit in.

Found a route from the centre of the console to the left hand A pillar. Remove the trim and route over the passenger door. Then into the channel.over the left slide door. My van has lights all along here which pop out and provide access. Then a rod from the rubber tube hole forward to pick up the cable.

Once inside the tailgate remove the little bump stop to gain access to the channel down the left side of the window.

This is what I was looking to do, but I couldn’t get the cable to route through the top of the tailgate. I had a hole already from vanshades I’d removed so I used a wire to try and run it along the green line I’ve drawn behind the metalwork. It always got stuck at the red line though in the corner. There is existing cabling for the third brake light so it must be possible. Maybe just very small gap. I couldn’t manage to do it.

IMG_2613.jpeg

This is what I was looking to do, but I couldn’t get the cable to route through the top of the tailgate. I had a hole already from vanshades I’d removed so I used a wire to try and run it along the green line I’ve drawn behind the metalwork. It always got stuck at the red line though in the corner. There is existing cabling for the third brake light so it must be possible. Maybe just very small gap. I couldn’t manage to do it.

View attachment 246669
you could do it easy way as I have done it - just use sope or dishwasher liquid on cable to make it slide easier (not the end of the cable of course)

View attachment 246669
Did you try using fish wire. Like I have in photo? Drill hole the size of 5 pin connector near camera. Then pass the fish wire behind panel (green line). Surely it'll come out other end (red line).
I need a 5 pin extension. They do them in 1m upwards. I only need 0.5m to connect to 5 pin plug straight from camera then connect it to fish wire and pull it all the way down.

Velcro around the wire, shove another wire down there with the other velcro side. They will hopefully meet up. Magnets are often used elsewhere for this but would stick to the metalwork too easily.

Let me know if you manage to get fish wire or similar through that corner where the red line is and successfully route the cable. If you do I might try again :)

I just thought. Why don't I fit the rear cam at the bottom of the glass above the dirty arch left by wiper. No need to drill holes in tailgate. Just need an extension connecting cable.

I just thought. Why don't I fit the rear cam at the bottom of the glass above the dirty arch left by wiper. No need to drill holes in tailgate. Just need an extension connecting cable.
That's what I ended up choosing to do :) The camera can be fixed on top of the plastic wiper motor cover and the cable can be routed inside the tailgate under the window and up the side to the rubber gaiter. I have the AUTO-VOX V5PRO and the rear camera has a decent field of view and adjustability.

That's what I ended up choosing to do :) The camera can be fixed on top of the plastic wiper motor cover and the cable can be routed inside the tailgate under the window and up the side to the rubber gaiter. I have the AUTO-VOX V5PRO and the rear camera has a decent field of view and adjustability.
What was I thinking. Fitting it at the bottom the wiper can clean the window to give better visibility in case it's raining. Having it at the top the wiper won't reach. Also, much easier to fit.

Back