SEVERE WEATHER - PROTECTING SOLAR PANEL

Whiz

Meet BANKSY - There is always "Hope"
T6 Guru
Hi all, Do I need to protect my flexible skinny Solar panel on my roof with all this severe weather? Due to be -9C etc. with severe frosts. I have been very gently clearing the snow off to let the Panel get some daylight.
So would anyone do anything else to protect the panel?
Cover with a blanket?
Is it better to leave the snow to protect it from the severe frost!?

I have similar set up to @Captain Rick and @andys (in different thread) with a 150 Panel skinny Flexible Solar panel sorry don't know the technical name!). TIA

Hi ...I’d leave as is....the Only thing I’ve seen for the likes of motor homes is a cover for the whole vehicle but that has its drawbacks...
id say as long as it’s sealed treat it like a glass panel..covering it might have other implications..the snow would ( if deep enough) offer some protection from frost..stay safe ( and warm ):thumbsup:

be careful of full covers as they can make the paintwork. As VanDamMan states leave it as is and it will be fine. On the other -9C will not be good for you..... Stay warm - Safe Safe.

Hi ...I’d leave as is....the Only thing I’ve seen for the likes of motor homes is a cover for the whole vehicle but that has its drawbacks...
id say as long as it’s sealed treat it like a glass panel..covering it might have other implications...the snow would ( if deep enough) offer some protection from frost..stay safe ( and warm ):thumbsup:
Brilliant thanks @VanDamMan appreciate your advice. The Sun is out at the moment - so Leisure Battery is getting a boost:). Just need a Solar Panel on my back!!!

You take care and thanks.

be careful of full covers as they can make the paintwork. As VanDamMan states leave it as is and it will be fine. On the other -9C will not be good for you..... Stay warm - Safe Safe.
You to @Qnapper .... Woodburner on and the Sun just come out!!! I am letting nature do its thing! No cover etc. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Brilliant thanks @VanDamMan appreciate your advice. The Sun is out at the moment - so Leisure Battery is getting a boost:). Just need a Solar Panel on my back!!!

You take care and thanks.
Get as big a solar panel as you can afford as will save you lots of money in the long run (off-grid - care of battery)

Get as big a solar panel as you can afford as will save you lots of money in the long run (off-grid - care of battery)
Will be upgrading this summer is the plan. 150 has done well. Thanks

As above, don't worry, mine has seen <-20ºC and still produced decent power with no ill effects since.

Back